Wp Name Change

Fenrir Greycloth

Title says it all,

Now with the availability of such unique avatars, and the kings being able to reward WPs, I would like to see a new Wish Shop item that allows us to change our names. Especially if we made a mistake in the name, or would like to add capitals, or forgot an "e" at the end of Prince. :))

Let me know what you think.

• Root Admin

Changing a name means a LOT, you could easily reforge a totally new character by changing your name. I think a name, like an avatar is very important.

Like with Eigger, I think that name Changes should only be able to be done by Mur because of some serious reason.

So my answer is no, A name is special, and being able to change it should only be done by Mur.

For the most he will fix spelling mistakes with just a simple email, so i dont see that as a valid reason.

I say no for exactly the same reasons that chewett said. If your name really bugs you so much make another account. And name changes well just don't seem like a wish point sort of thing. Mur should be the only one to change names because i'm sure that he'd want to regulate who changes their name to what. ya know? :))

What is wrong with changing your name? If you want to change your character's identity, why not do so?

If MD is an allegory for the human psyche, then this would make perfect sense. People change who they are through hard work and determination.

Isn't that how one acquires a WP? Through hard work and determination? It takes weeks, months, years perhaps to truly change your identity, and this can be related to the amount of work that is required to acquire a WP.

It is incredibly easy to change your character's image now. As it is in real life. Plastic surgery or personal training can change your body in extreme ways. It requires a bit of money to do so in most cases too, like the Avatars.

Changing who you are though, that requires work, and WPs can be related to that work.

If we can have a remove all xp WP, I am sure we can have a WP option to change our names too.

Technically, I think its not much of a problem.

But the argument here is not the technicality of it.

Its a matter of principle.

Anyways, there is already a venue for one who wantsto change name, and that is talking to Mur.

As they say, why fix something that is NOT broken.

If Mur feels there are too many request for name change, maybe he will do it.

But as far as the majority of us feels, changing of name is not something that is to be taken lightly, and therefore, should not be in the WP Shop.

Edited by CrazyMike

And for exactly the reasons Fenrir brought up there shouldn't be a name change.

People can switch avatars like socks nowadays if they want to, their papers are under their own control anyway, and i'd guess we are not far from an ignore function for PL, then even that is under your control.
If you get the name change added on that, a normal player can't identify anybody else anymore, which means basically deleting one's history.
Does the police delete your records just because you didn't misbehave in a few months?

Therefore: [size="7"]NO[/size]

Again, you need a WP to change your name. Something that isn't easily gotten anymore. Unlike the Avatars, and the PL, and the Player Description thing, you can't change this at a mere whim. You must earn it first, and you must REALLY earn it. And the WP item doesn't have to be renewable. It can happen only once. Like the XP removal. (Which I do not think should be in there.)

Why not put there a wish for the tags? :)) I bet I will see lots of awarded WPs following that for things like hmm...let me quote a bit:
"Guardian quest"
"Mentorship"
"for services"

Also, if you can't RP with a name like Smarty Pants then you will not be able to do it if you change it to Dumb Shoes. A name is just a name. It doesn't affect you in any way(of course unless you call yourself mentally challenged guy or <insert not that smart name here>) .So basically it's a waste of WPs and wishes in the Wish shop.

I support Fenrir's idea.

it would actually be very realistic to be able to change your identity with costs.
Why not?

If someone doesn't want their history to be forgotten (well if someone changes their identity it might also mean that they do not care about "near mortal annals") they can always announce it on their papers, forums, wherever that that new character is an evolution of previous one.

Why are you all so sceptical about this?

Because the name identifies a person, for heaven's sake!

This is about reputation and 'the records' of people, whether you can trust somebody or not, and everything else around them!

Imagine somebody is known to scam people, and suddenly decides to change their name.
If you don't have the ID, you'll never find out who it was or wasn't.

Same goes for multiple offences, how do you count them on somebody who changes his name?
And, honestly, dst already told us how things run with WPs, when people want a name change, they'll find a fake reason to award a WP with ease

"Because the name identifies a person, for heaven's sake!"

changing identity also means changing how people identify you :))

"This is about reputation and 'the records' of people, whether you can trust somebody or not, and everything else around them!"

scamming and lying is part of life... someone's role might be to trick and tease. What's wrong with that? you need to have diversity of roles in our world...

"Same goes for multiple offences, how do you count them on somebody who changes his name?"

I doubt someone would change their name and waste a WP only to "break the dojo rules" for 100 times.

and about "false reasons" of giving a WP... how come an ability to change name will affect that? what, other options in WP shop aren't good enough as changing name, and this will go people fall into temptations???!!!!

• Root Admin

A name is an Identifier. It is the one thing that is a constant that if anyone could change just by getting a WP it means that you can totally start again. For some people this is NOT good, There are people who have WP's and who shouldnt have a name change because they deserve their reputation and If they started again, trouble could occur again.

Just run it like the current System, Mur will approve any changes and it means that anyone who changes their name to have a new "change" can be easily identified as the older player, but showing that they want a new change. Look at Lexier, he asked mur, and he seems to have changed.

And Fenrir, you might as well just say, you want to be able to change your name.

Anyone else consider it funny that some think a name is too important to change, while others argue it is not important enough to change?

As others have said, I doubt it is easily exploitable. Even cheating to a WP, if such does happen (let's not go there in this thread), requires you to know - suck up to - people that have WP to spare. Which should take enough time for several people to know enough about you to notice your 'disappearance' and be suspicious of that new guy with 100+ AD that looks faintly familiar but absolutely nobody ever saw before.

@dst: why are you against people wasting WP on silly things? Consider it natural selection.

[quote]"Same goes for multiple offences, how do you count them on somebody who changes his name?"

I doubt someone would change their name and waste a WP only to "break the dojo rules" for 100 times.[/quote]
There are other things which need to be checked for multiple offences you know...

If this does get implemented, there could be another section in the log room about name changes. I still say that it should be really deep in the shop if it ever does. I also see this as a way to change your name without having to bug Mur about changing your name for you.

[quote name='Kafuuka' date='07 May 2010 - 07:27 PM' timestamp='1273249665' post='59541']
@dst: why are you against people wasting WP on silly things? Consider it natural selection.
[/quote]

You're right. I should not complain about players wasting WPs on silly things. The problem is that the wish shop gets full of things I don't need (yes, I am an egotistic person). I want something that is worth a WP. Name change? Why not put it in the MD Shop? Somewhere after the gold coin? Because as I already said: stupidity should be payed :D (in case of a mistake). And also vanity should be payed (in case you wish to change your name just because Dumb shoes fits more your role then Smarty pants).

Chewett, if I were to change my name, it would be to shorten it, or add something to it. Not to change my identity. I wouldn't be able to hide for to long. :D

As for this idea, it came to me when I kept seeing Princ, dst, MRG, and the many others that I consider to have inappropriate names. ( I mean this in the way that their names are misspelled, uncapitalized, or full of capitals.)

There is not reason why I chose those three names, they were the first to come to mind.

I think this is a reasonable idea...however I also think it shouldn't be in the wp list but rather deep in the MD shop several reasons for this:

If you want your name changed for whatever reasons be it your messed up or you want a change from who you were shouldn't be something you need to earn. Earning something like a WP takes time and effort to achieve something, whereas a name change is something for your own personal reasons if you want it so badly pay for it.it'd help support the game. you'd get your fancy new name. and nobody can complain about WP abuse.

Princ, dst, and I'd assume all of the MR's choose their names because thats what they wanted they are unique and have reputations built up on those names.

If this was to be put in the MD shop I'd say put it deep in the extras section with requirements of 1 year and some various loyalty and/or honor, that way if after a year of having your current name you decide you still for whatever reason don't like your name go dig in the extra section for it.

As for the past crimes and offense's and all that a person is still known by their ID it never changes and if they go and change their name to get away from a past that's all fine and well unless they get around to committing the same crime or another which point if they are found out they should be stripped of their new name and anything else gained from it and proper punishment handed out.

fenrir, don't pose in a concerned person. I personally have a really strong reason for my name and if you don't like it I don't care. Just stop mentioning it. Actually, forget it. Dst doesn't exist for you!

Name is something you're stuck with.Even if you like it or not. What does someone do when that person wants to change his/her name? The person has to address the court. Who is the court in MD? Mur. Ergo: want a name change: ask Mur. If you'll get it or not depends on Mur. Same as rl. You get it or not based on what the judge thinks.

Again, you're taking things personally, dst.

But I will let it be, because it doesn't matter. I used your name as an example, I don't care about the reasoning.

I brought up this idea because it seemed to me that is is needed. Trashing it for the simple reason that it doesn't need to be in the WS is unacceptable. Help me make this idea into a reality instead of just throwing it to the dogs because you find all these things wrong with it.

You see something wrong that I don't? Suggest something. Don't just shove it in my face and laugh.

[quote name='Fenrir Greycloth' date='07 May 2010 - 12:25 AM' timestamp='1273181116' post='59500']
Let me know what you think.
[/quote]

I let you know what I think. Even more: I gave you the reasons why I don't like the idea. Since when do I have to suggest a new idea in case I don't like one that has been suggested?

Wish shop exist for maybe more then a year now. If your idea would have been needed it would have been probably implemented long time ago. The ones feeling the need to change their name asked Mur.Or created a new account. I said it twice already:all mistakes should be payed (your Princ example) and also vanity.

Offtopic:
And yes, I take it personally because you called me countless times in a different way even if I asked you to stop it. So I ask you one more time to ignore me and my name. I don't need your attention. Nor I like you giving my name (or me) as an example (good or bad)