MD Awards 2011 - Nominations

Grido

Okay, in response to you Burns - what I'm noticing is that a total of maybe.. 4 people are speaking against in group nomination, where as we have many in this thread who are FOR in group nominating.

This is where my confusion sits. This year things are not quite as they were the previous year, many of the people who spoke out against in-group nomination last year have not even posted in this thread.

We have lost members of the community due to RL, and we have gained new ones that don't necessarily agree.

The argument that the MD Awards Ceremony is a popularity contest is correct, but banning or limiting who nominates what means that certain people who SHOULD get nominated, get ignored and overlooked. What should have happened is that people should not have been allowed to nominate people (who have won an award) twice for the same category.

(Nothing against Zleiphneir, but an example is that he has been nominated - and has won already almost every year for the role player award, and others have been overlooked. And also, Amoran has been nominated again for the best protector award. While I appreciate that people notice that I am doing a good job, it would be fair to give others a chance too, wouldn't it?)

You know the people of your land better than anyone, and unfortunately there is no way to stop the MD nominations from being a popularity contest. I just feel that you banned the wrong thing this year and this is why I chose to argue against the way the Award Nominations are being run.

Edited by Amoran Kalamanira Kol

Whilst you might find it fair for people who have won not to win again, I find that hugely unfair, on everyone. If it were me, I'd be annoyed that someone had assumed I could not beat the person who won last year, and wasnt even given the chance to compete against them. That situation would be a farce.

You bring my name into something, use me as an example and state that I caused people to be 'overlooked' just by the fact that I exist and can be voted for. I don't know about anyone else, but if I were one of the people you are talking about being 'overlooked' I would find that incredibly insulting.

Z

[quote name='(Zl-eye-f)-nea' timestamp='1323812538' post='97864']
Whilst you might find it fair for people who have won not to win again, I find that hugely unfair, on everyone. If it were me, I'd be annoyed that someone had assumed I could not beat the person who won last year, and wasn't even given the chance to compete against them. That situation would be a farce.
[/quote]

It's an awards ceremony, Zleiphneir. You are being awarded based on how you have stood out or for things you have done in game. It was to my assumption that it was not a beauty contest or a cut-throat competition but rather a ceremony which grants recognition to players for good things they have done, how they have played the game, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please, so I can go and host my own awards ceremony in a fair way.

[quote name='(Zl-eye-f)-nea' timestamp='1323812538' post='97864']
You bring my name into something, use me as an example and state that I caused people to be 'overlooked' just by the fact that I exist and can be voted for. I don't know about anyone else, but if I were one of the people you are talking about being 'overlooked' I would find that incredibly insulting.

Z
[/quote]

I did bring your name into question to point out that you have not only won an award each year, but that you have been nominated each year for the same thing.

There are plenty of good role players in the game and many of them are ignored for the more popular or more influential players such as yourself. My point is, if people are allowed to win year after year after year, we have a repetition of the same person getting recognized - thus limiting the view of the community regarding newer players who have new stuff to bring to the table.

I did not insult you or your roleplay, I stated instead that your nominations and rewards are repetitive. That was purely an example, and you chose to feel insulted by it.

Amoran - such as who? I noticed you didn't nominate anyone for the roleplay awards. If you think that someone deserves to win, why don't you nominate them?

Or... do you speak of yourself? Do you feel as if you've been skipped over because of Zleiphneir?

I mean these two questions literally, not as a snide attack.

Awi

Amoran, you can argue about what an awards ceremony is all you want. Your way isnt a fair way, keep trying to say it is, I dont agree with you. I gave my reasons why. You don't like it, fine. I get your point, I don't agree with it in the slightest.

I never said you insulted me, might want to re-read.

Z

No, I didn't nominate anyone because I didn't nominate. I suggested people to be nominated by others because I don't agree with how the awards are being done this year, but I can fire off a list of people who deserve the award and play the game every single day:
-Lashtal
-Azull
-Jaden Dew
-Maebius
-Arkken
-Ivorak
-Phantom Orchid
-Marvolo
-Innocence
-Guillak
-Amber Rune
-Tarquinus
-Brulant
-Passant the Weak
-Kiley

You can suggest that I feel hurt that I have never been nominated, but I don't. I appreciate the nominations I am given, but to me it's a simple medal. What I care more about is that there is a huge amount of people who are never looked at or thought about, this year especially, in certain categories.

They play the game in their own unique way, and though they don't interact with tons of people on a daily basis, and try to do big massive things to get themselves recognized - they deserve at least to be nominated.

Edited by Amoran Kalamanira Kol

• Root Admin

This is the nomination thread, i shall move this whole discussion to another thread if you continue it here. Please create another topic to discuss this, and/or use the actual topic that has been set up to discuss that. The one where everyone said they wanted this format. So protest there!

Amoran, there was a discussion in the other thread regarding previous years winners being allowed to be nominated. As far as I recall you did not speak up there - if you had issues with people winning again you should have mentioned there, as that was originally how it was going to be until several members of the community objected to this limitation.

I'll use Princ's more elegant (than how I wrote it) [url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/10995-md-awards-2011-24h-discussion/page__view__findpost__p__97297"]phrasing[/url] regarding in-land nomination;
"This is an MD awards event, if a person deserves one of the awards, it is on the global level, not on local level, however capable the person is, which justifies the ban of the land nominations"
I do however note that many of the names on your list are not affected by this limitation, and yet you didn't nominate them.

Like last year, there will be a feedback thread after the awards are concluded for this year - please make any comments about alterations to the process there, the restriction on in-land nominations holds for this year.

As Chewett has said, please continue this on the other thread.

Adventuring Award
Shadowseeker

Best Beautification
Blackthorn

Champion Fighter
For the person considered to be the best fighter in the realm, this does not necessarily have to be the strongest fighter in the realm, but the one that uses the combat system to the best effect.
Eon

Elite Evil Villain of the Year
For the person who is viewed as being the most villainous over the past year. The voter can interpret this in various ways, including but not limited to; most negative disturbance caused, most times sent to jail, most people peeved off by them, most ingenious/devious plan devised and carried out.
Tipu

The Golden Protector
For the player who is viewed as performing the best in the role of protector(MP6) during the past year. The player does not have to currently be a protector. The voter should take into account the actions of the other protectors in the realm, rather than automatically voting for their own. Best can mean how helpful the protector has been, to how effective they have been in recruiting worshippers, this is at the voters discretion.
Amoran K Kol

Most Addicted
For the player who just can't leave MD for more than a minute without needing a fix.
Chewett

Outstanding Service to MD
For the player thought to have done the most to contribute to MD over the year. This can be in any field.
Chewett

Pre-eminent Role Player
For the player deemed to Role Play the best. The player does not have to stay in character all the time to win this award (though it may help), rather when they do role play it is to the highest standard - this does usually go in hand with remaining in character.
[s]Awiiya[/s] Removed since I didn't realize he was a judge.

Note: I saw that the rule is "you can't nominate people who are [i]viewed[/i] as being from the same land as you". Though I'm technically from Loreroot, I believe my actions over the past few years have shown that I'm more geared towards "neutral". If the organizers still view me as a Lorerootian though, please feel free to remove any conflicting nominations.

Edited by Udgard

[quote name='Udgard' timestamp='1323848304' post='97888']
Best Beautification
Blackthorn

Pre-eminent Role Player
For the player deemed to Role Play the best. The player does not have to stay in character all the time to win this award (though it may help), rather when they do role play it is to the highest standard - this does usually go in hand with remaining in character.
Awiiya

[/quote]

I am uncertain if Blackthorn is active or was in the past year in order to have him nominated.

Awiiya is one of the judges, can not be nominated either.

Ah, didn't realize Awii was one of the judges, I'll remove that nomination then.

As for Blackthorn, he was active for a while this year, though he didn't stay that long (unless there's a rule that a person must be active throughout the whole year to be nominated?).

Udgard Said:
The Golden Protector
For the player who is viewed as performing the best in the role of protector(MP6) during the past year. The player does not have to currently be a protector. The voter should take into account the actions of the other protectors in the realm, rather than automatically voting for their own. Best can mean how helpful the protector has been, to how effective they have been in recruiting worshippers, this is at the voters discretion.
Amoran K Kol

I will put forward this nomination, and I am NOT from Loreroot.

[Edit - I see that yes, she was already nominated -- that's why I didn't bother before --, so this whole exchange is moot.]

Adventuring award:
I'm not allowed to nominate passant, so the choice is clearly to nominate Esmaralda for adventuring award.

Sorry duxie, honorable mention.

Edited by Fyrd Argentus

[size=3][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Helper of the Year - Shemhazaj[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Prime Quest - Fyrd Argentus[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Fyrd, i'd make the same choice ;)[/font][/size]

If possible, I would like a moderator to close this topic please.

The nominations have lasted more than they should, and as a result we have received more than 5 nominations in certain categories and we are still trying to figure out how to reduce those.

My apologies for any inconvience.