The Community

Rasiel

These thought have been brewing in my head for some time now and i have been trying to think if i should even make this post or not but lucky you i have decided to make this topic and tell you all what i think. If you don't want to read it then fine don't read it but i think this will benefit everyone if they read it so please at least think about it.

The way this community acts some times is just jaw dropping i can't believe how negative. degrading, hurtful, and down right rude how some of the people here can be. The way i see some people talking to it is sickening, you act as if they are suppose to automatically be the best at everything here, you dissect every word someone says to just beat them down lower and lower. [b]Not everyone does this but i think a good majority do.[/b]On the forums i have seen this time and time again people being so condescending and rude, offering no help to a person what so ever, they just criticize that person. Instead of trying to tear them down why not try to build them up t be be better? constructive criticism . Like i said not everyone does this but in a lot of topics its there.

In fact this community has caused many negative things that can only hurt themselves..why? here is a example: [url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/10949-resignation-letter-of-yrthilian-king-of-golemus/"]Yrthilian's resignation letter[/url]

I understand if you have a point of view and want to fight for it, [b]you can still fight for it without throwing out vile things to say![/b]
There's many words that you can choose from, why be negative? what is the point? And if someone post something negative don't say something negative right back, a negative plus more negative give you more negativity, counter it with a positive post. I'm not saying be all smiley and what not but choose your words carefully, and if that person continues to be negative ignore them.

I see a lot of people won't be able to do this for various reasons, their egos, they can't swallow their pride, they thing they are better then the other person, they can never be wrong, they think they know everything etc... please just check yourself and rethink what your about to post: Is it helpful? is it constructive? Am i being rude? Am i being hurtful?

Not everyone in this community is like that but enough are that this community destroys its own members and once all the members are pushed away what then?

If you keep destroying things your going to be left with nothing.

Well i guess that is all i have to say from what i have seen i'll leave you with some finals thoughts

PS.
This post is simply suppose to be a mirror for the people in this community so they can look at their actions and words and perhaps realize that maybe they can change what they do in one small way that can help.

I am not singling out anyone this is what i have seen from many different people,

[b]This community could be great with all of its great minds, free spirits, and hard working people why stop that? this is cliche sounding but working together isn't that bad, just put away your hate for others there is enough of that in the world why let it have this amazing place?[/b]

Edited by Rasiel

[quote name='Curiose' timestamp='1352303780' post='125175']
I'm quite the positive person in real life. But online is where i get to vent out my cynicism. is it right? no. But I'm like a sponge. You get what you give.
[/quote]

Another good point, thank you Curiose.

Treat others with respect and kindness and that could cause a chain effect.

When I was a full time Ary, my "giving" was what I did for my own sense of positivity. I channel my goodness into responsible, and ..wht's the word... reasonable? no.. whatever, basically it just was energy put into something worthwhile. But a lot of it got sucked dry by greed, and otherwise nastiness which brought out the red giant.

So by having just one person making an effort can be draining. Even if it is who you are.

From what I've seen, there are some people who are just too stubborn to listen and agree to one thing... they'll probably even criticize this post of yours, Rasiel.

I'm also talking about suggestions. Some people criticize them in such a way that it doesn't even feel like to suggest anything anymore. It's as if they argue the crap out of you.

Edited by DARK DEMON

Im not expecting people to change over night, i know its impossible.

Im asking everyone who reads this to just take one second and reread your post that your about to post, or the words that your about to send, or whatever action you are about to do.

Alone one person can not stop this, look at all the greatest accomplishments, they were made possible by the community(s) working together and holding others up.

[quote name='Magistra' timestamp='1352370943' post='125239']
Well, we all know who has made rudeness into a form of art. It may be contagious.
[/quote]
Perfect example. Thank you Magistra for this example. (FYI : you have a minus from me)

I totally agree with Rasiel.

Complete and [b]useless [/b]posts with [b]free [/b]cynicism should be wiped out. They tend to lower the interest of people in MD and this is bad for the comunity.

I know from my own experience that is hard but not impossible to refrain from that kind of posts.

Well done Rasiel

Edited by No one

I thought my "work of art" was a good way to express how silly people can be without the need to use harsh words. This is a healthier way to show someone that she may have been a wonderful TK leader one that I never have said anything bad about. However she constantly talks as if she knows we are just lazy pieces of crap that have no right to stand in her overpowering and presence. I have never been rude to Curi but she has always been rude towards me, this was the first time I have replied in such a manner. Who in the world would want to play a game with people that consistently talk crap for no apparent reason other than to make themselves feel better, and then see them constantly get away with speaking to others that way? Nice people and nice replies don't work with mean people...They do work with most of us who actually are nice and respectful of others, but to lay down and take verbal attack for nothing over and over again is retarded.

There are some people who just don't listen.

You are supposed to just state your opinion and be done with it. You are NOT supposed to add more things to make sure nobody can speak against it (cause healthy criticism is necessary) or ridicule the person you are quoting (if any).

There are always ways to make your point in a nice way. Those who can't do it just aren't nice.

I know it's hard but just because someone is mean to you doesn't mean you should act the same to them, I understand when someone is being rude to you you have a very strong impulse to be rude right back, but that only continues the viscous cycle and ends up making topics that started out with some sort of point into mindless attack threads. the recent example would be Fang's thread.

I believe a lot of the people here are at least 18+ ,now i could be wrong but, i think we can all be a little more mature when it comes to this. If you have a problem don't post it in that thread send them a PM and try to work it calmly, you could even invite a third neutral party to help things run smoothly.

I do find it kind of amusing at how when someone tells people in a general consensus that their behavior is wrong, people pop up to try and justify it and defend themselves.

But on another note:
It's basically like this analogy in how MD works: We're pretty much all stuck inside a closet and have been infected with a thing called cabin fever. If I was stuck in a closet with someone for more than a few days I get snarky. and MD isn't the only "community" in which this happens.

[quote name='Rasiel' timestamp='1352388294' post='125249']
I know it's hard but just because someone is mean to you doesn't mean you should act the same to them, I understand when someone is being rude to you you have a very strong impulse to be rude right back, but that only continues the viscous cycle and ends up making topics that started out with some sort of point into mindless attack threads. the recent example would be Fang's thread.

I believe a lot of the people here are at least 18+ ,now i could be wrong but, i think we can all be a little more mature when it comes to this. If you have a problem don't post it in that thread send them a PM and try to work it calmly, you could even invite a third neutral party to help things run smoothly.
[/quote]

And it's all the worse because with a medium like the internet, the first instance of "rudeness" is as often as not a convolution of bad or hasty typing, no body language or inflection, and sometimes language translations (how many dialects of "english" can you distinguish?) Plus people reacting with different sets of context - not having seen all the OTHER relevant forum posts....

I try really, really hard to avoid this (the benefit of long years of painful learning) and still have been flamed a half-dozen times....

Edited by Fyrd Argentus