Turning MD on its "Hee-haw!"

Change

[center][b]Turning MD on its[/b] [img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_S9Mub3d0NA8/ShCH2oIBHQI/AAAAAAAAAGw/h3Tdrd5-7FU/s320/donkey.jpg[/img] [b]like [/b][img]http://image.spreadshirt.net/image-server/v1/designs/2150600,width=190,height=190/Cheeky-Ratlet.png[/img] [b]used to do.[/b][/center]

I like Seigheart's idea. Now Chewett's thread could serve the same purpose of proposing 'how', but I'd like to talk about how to turn MD on its cute donkey before giving a final answer.

One of them is to increase the amount of Gazebo teleports, even to seemingly silly places, like the Paper Cabin. Apart from the obvious functionality of being able to jump to places, there's also the other functionality of being able to prevent people from jumping to certain places. If the Gate to the Paper Cabin is constantly kept open, then it would be difficult to use it to go other places. There'd have to be something to prevent it from being abused too much, but some of that functionality should be there. Another teleport could be a one way one from one Gazebo to the other. Obviously the code would only be available to certain people. The universe does tend to Chaos.

You could quite easily make MD a kind of 'through the looking glass' kind of place by making a whole bunch of hidden teleports. As for coding, I'm not sure, but I don't think it'd be that difficult, if at all (if you use existing clickable items/existing pillars).

[quote name='Change' timestamp='1354791533' post='127649']
It could be made so that when you click on the gates, you're given a riddle or piece of trivia that has to do with the Archives. If you answer it correctly, then the AP cost for you getting in is reduced by a certain amount. If you get it wrong, you have to wait a certain amount of time before trying to answer another question.
[/quote]

I'd also like to see this, but not just for the Archives. It'd be great to see riddles or questions given for everyday activities. A new group of people could even be created, called the Riddlers (unless they already exist? I don't know!). I loved the player DNA thing. More 'survey' type things could be included in the realm, buried in hidden rabbit holes. I'd like to see MD chock full of riddles, tunnels, questions, quests, etc! Let's step through the Looking Glass people!

Edit: [b]In case anyone isn't clear[/b], this is the topic created for Seigheart's proposal, so I mean it to be a place to discuss any crazy, yet plausible ideas of turning MD on its ass.

Edited by Change

[quote name='Liberty4life' timestamp='1354812543' post='127676']
althout i like chews idea of new coders, burns idea of remake of combat, seighs idea of major changes, it all falls towards improving md into better game, but at cost of its soul, i am personally not here for game, i am for somethin of higher value that stretches beyond game itself
[center]...[/center]
and i dont expect any player who havent played before start of 10 to understand the above
[/quote]

The last account that I can remember having was registered in 2010. I remember being more active than the Active Days on it shows (Maybe I should get an alt check done on myself. Heh..) Nonetheless, I've stuck to Change. I both joined and stayed in MD for the feeling Liberty4life is describing. Didn't all of you vets get the feeling when you were new, even though you didn't know exactly what it meant?

Now I still get that feeling, but it's quickly followed by the feeling of 'deadness', of 'lost potential'. I'm not sure what Mur's personal situation is right now. I did get the feeling that both how hard some things would be to code, and the fear of new features being regarded as 'something new with a cool backstory' but nothing more has held him back at times.

I also remember hearing Mur say that he's not trying to speak to the majority through this 'game', but to the few who understand some of what he's saying, and want to know more.

Sadly some people will see MD as 'just a game'. It is a mind game, but it isn't 'just' a mind game.

Nonetheless, if Mur's listening and if it's possible, I'm sure some of us would love those aspects of magicduel to be developed even more, even if they might not be implemented perfectly at first. In game terms, magicduel is still, and will always be, in perpetual alpha, right? Well everyone should still treat it as such. Expect your whole world to be turned upside down!

One of the biggest things that drawed me towards MD was the hint that skill, real skill, not skill that guides could easily be written for, not grinding, skill, determined success in fighting and all aspects of MD. In short, that MD would be one of the few, good, 'games', without any real grinding. Burns has asked that this be brought back by dealing with the ridiculous stats situation. Yes, there needs to be a way to pay back the grinders for all the hours spend grinding in a way which everyone will be happy.

My point is, at least a few of us want more of the part of magicduel that makes it not 'just a game'. Therefore, I'd like everyone to understand that all of my suggestions come with the caveat that they need to be meaningfully implemented, and not just game features, at least as soon as possible. Yes, new shiny game features are nice, and perhaps some game features should be added. However any new game features being mostly just game features should be a temporary thing, and they should later be changed to have more meaning.

Yes, you shouldn't take away what people have built, through grinding or otherwise. Follow the law of conservation of energy.

[b] [size=4]“Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another.”[/size][/b]
― [url="http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/4455-energy-cannot-be-created-or-destroyed-it-can-only-be"]Albert Einstein[/url]

Magicduel needs Change, Magicduel needs Death (though not necessarily of the obvious, player killing sort). Slow Death means slow Change. Wouldn't most of us beg our killers to 'Make it quick'?

Edited by Change

[quote name='Seigheart' timestamp='1354818798' post='127681']
I'd like to see another Tenji, but this person has uncontrolled powers of a somewhat notsolimited nature.
[/quote]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]The name was Tengri and there is another one out already.[/font]

[url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/13351-what-would-you-do/#entry127832"]The Warrior's suggestion[/url] has given me an idea for a suggestion (which probably has been suggested before, but oh well). Also, maybe I'm just incredibly dense and this is already implemented in some way.

Have the vitality that others lose by walking in foreign lands be given to those in the land that they're walking in. The amount that's lost and gained would depend on the viscosity of the area that's being walked through. This could either replace, or be added to the current system of gaining vitality when in one's homeland. If it replaced it, you wouldn't gain vitality when you move in your homeland, but when others without a high enough energetic immunity move in your homeland.

So, let's say, being a GG citizen, I would lose 100 vitality by moving around in Marind Bell. That 100 vitality would be divided up amongst the citizens of Marind Bell. Let's say it's an area with +40 viscosity. I could then lose 4000 vitality. The 4000 would be divided amongst the citizens of Marind Bell that are online. It could be divided evenly, by land loyalty, etc.

This would potentially have multiple repercussions. Some effects that I've thought of:[list]
[*]Younger players would stay in their respective lands more.
[*]Older players would encourage younger players to visit their lands.
[*]There'd be action done to decrease viscosity in foreign lands (and potentially to increase viscosity in native lands, in some cases)
[*]Everyone stays holed up in their lands (unlikely).
[/list]
Peoples' thoughts?

Also, sorry The Warrior, but if implemented like this, it might be the anti-thesis to your suggestion. :blush: It doesn't have to be though. I basically want to make the vitality that's gained and lost come from somewhere, and to make it community based.

Oh, and seeing how this would affect the newer players more directly (they'd be the ones losing vitality), maybe it shouldn't be multiplied by viscosity. I've talked with a couple of people, and we've come up with even more ideas.

This suggestion is definitely not well thought out, but the point of me putting this out there is to get other people involved in brainstorming a similar idea. If there is an end result to all of the suggestions, it could be totally different.

Edited by Change

[quote name='Change' timestamp='1354964276' post='127838']
[url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/13351-what-would-you-do/#entry127832"]The Warrior's suggestion[/url] has given me an idea for a suggestion (which probably has been suggested before, but oh well). Also, maybe I'm just incredibly dense and this is already implemented in some way.

Have the vitality that others lose by walking in foreign lands be given to those in the land that they're walking in. The amount that's lost and gained would depend on the viscosity of the area that's being walked through. This could either replace, or be added to the current system of gaining vitality when in one's homeland. If it replaced it, you wouldn't gain vitality when you move in your homeland, but when others without a high enough energetic immunity move in your homeland.

So, let's say, being a GG citizen, I would lose 100 vitality by moving around in Marind Bell. That 100 vitality would be divided up amongst the citizens of Marind Bell. Let's say it's an area with +40 viscosity. I could then lose 4000 vitality. The 4000 would be divided amongst the citizens of Marind Bell that are online. It could be divided evenly, by land loyalty, etc.

This would potentially have multiple repercussions. Some effects that I've thought of:[list]
[*]Younger players would stay in their respective lands more.
[*]Older players would encourage younger players to visit their lands.
[*]There'd be action done to decrease viscosity in foreign lands (and potentially to increase viscosity in native lands, in some cases)
[*]Everyone stays holed up in their lands (unlikely).
[/list]
Peoples' thoughts?

Also, sorry The Warrior, but if implemented like this, it might be the anti-thesis to your suggestion. :blush: It doesn't have to be though. I basically want to make the vitality that's gained and lost come from somewhere, and to make it community based.
[/quote]

[color=#008000][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Only newer players would lose vitality walking on foreign lands. Older players are (mostly) immune. This would mean that newbies would be giving VE to vets ---> not what we want :P[/font][/color]

[color=#008000][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Even if older players are not immune, it still can't be implemented cause then MP3s or maybe MP4s in lands would lose all there VE by just walking a couple of scenes with +40 visc :))[/font][/color]

Edited by DARK DEMON

And that's why I don't like not really being able to double post. :P Yeah, I thought of that somewhat quickly (though not right away, like I should of). It could change things so that there's a movement to lower viscosity to prevent that, but probably not.

Part of my thinking for that is it wouldn't be too bad. Going through the LoTE is stressing AP wise, so why wouldn't it be vitality wise as well? Those with No Land would be unaffected as always, so this would just encourage newer players who join a land to stay in their lands, and for helpful veterans to pave roads of low viscosity for new citizens to walk on.

However, this is why I'm encouraging others to brainstorm about this.

Falronn and myself discussed this for awhile, and one of the thoughts that both of us had was the idea of this affecting resource regeneration somehow. That is, how much vitality a land has affects its resources.

A solution to the problem of newbies having a low vitality when walking on foreign lands could come with giving everyone the ability to transfer their own vitality to someone else. So, a young Marind Bell citizen could meet Maebius in Golemus (I don't know), with their vitality half gone. Maebius could help them by giving them some of his vitality.

Another thing could be that MD as a whole gains vitality as people move around, rather than it being a kind of 'zero sum game' as described above. This could be sort of similar to how heat is gained through movement.

Edited by Change

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#008000]There is already a spell by the name of Givevital which transfers vitality. Not to forget heal. This "ability" you're speaking of will finish the purpose of those spells, then...[/color][/font][/font]

This is a thread about ways to change MD around a lot. A big barrier to change is people not wanting to sacrifice things that are already there. Mind you, I agree that it makes sense for those spells to keep their purpose (and yes I knew that such spells existed when I suggested that). Perhaps make the spells have more casts/be more common?

Basically, I like this general idea of mine, and that's why I propose it, but the devil is in the details. If possible, I'd like to make this solve a lack of newbie/community involvement, making each land a more active place, and solve world hunger! *chuckles*

This thread is a place for radical, rough and unpolished ideas. Feel free to talk to Change about them IG too, and I'd definitely like it if other people posted their crazy, yet plausible, ideas.

Edited by Change

[quote name='Curiose' timestamp='1354994285' post='127853']
I like the idea. what about being able to sacrifice some of your own vitality to a player so they have an easier time moving?

[/quote]

Use givevital to give ve to player, player fights and gets AP, player moves.
So basically you want to skip the middle step otherwise we already have the mechanism.