Name a new skill related to viscosity

Mur is offering a 10GC award if he uses your name for a new skill discussed at today's public meeting (Day 275, Year 8 @ 22:00 server time).

The purpose for the skill is that while viscosity should create heat when overcome, there is another concept that is needed related to a player working to overcome viscosity.  

"Viscosity is what starts to surround areas that begin to become forgotten, isolating them slowly from reality."  By working to remove viscosity we are in effect bringing parts of MD back into existence/remembrance.  The skill gets reduced ("weakened") when used, and this should be reflected in its name.

Those with enough points in this skill will be able to create items by combining skill points with wish points.  (The means by which this will be done is currently under discussion).  

Please suggest your name along with the meaning/translation of the word and your explanation of why it is fitting.

A log is provided for more information.  http://storenow.net/my/?f=1e42444f83298dee78bed39054243b6f

Edited by Ivorak

• Root Admin

please read the full log for exact concept. When moving through a high visc area you interact with that palce absorbing viscosity, or scaring it away so to say. I imagine it as if you would be an enery/heat generator that has gears that get put in motion when you advance through viscosity. Fighting against viscosity changes something inside you, it sort of trains your will. Viscosity is separating reality from things forgotten, canceling it should balance somwhere..like when you lift weights and you get tired, but get stronger. This "thing" that changes in you when going against viscosity should be counted, gathered, and later on it will be used in combination with wispoints and heat to turn ideas into matter, creating items.

Concentration maybe?

You wander through the forgetting and overcome it by 'concentrating', when you concentrate too much you get tired of it, but in the long run you can do it better when you do it regularly. If you 'concentrate' your efforts hard enough, you can make things happen in MD, why not finally incorporate it in a skill?

Will / Determination

You use your will to wade through the heavy viscoscity. The stronger your will/determination, the easier it is to pass through the resistance. Once your Will/determination is high enough, you can use it for multiple things.

You dilute viscocity by creating new memories in the place, because will motivates you to put in more effort, and everything in which you put effort, leaves your impression or memory imprint in that.

It weakens sometimes, but is regnerable once you find a suitable motivator. That motivator can be viscosity.

PS- I know you said its not will or it maybe, But I cant seem to find a better suited word after reading your log.

Edited by Nimrodel

the new skill that would be aquired in lowering viscosity should be called

mucilagting

an new word that would come from

mucilaginous
adjective 1. of, pertaining to, or secreting mucilage.

Definition of MUCILAGINOUS
:  sticky, viscid
:  of, relating to, full of, or secreting mucilage

Mucilage is a thick, gluey substance produced by nearly all plants and some microorganisms

so one can relate viscosity in MD as mucilage saying that its an thick , gluey substance produced in nearly all location in MD.
so it can be relate to ferns

and mucilagting the skill pertaining to lowering viscosity in absorbing that gluey substance, and later one can use that substance to use an wish point and make an object. using that gluey substance will lower its stocking and will need to be resplenish ..

Pathworking

Essentially a guided meditation where you often visualize a journey through various archetypes, imaginary places, etc. Your pathworking ability increases as you do more of it. Since magicduel is a magical realm, this term seems all the more fitting. When you look to go to a place, you hold the concept of it in your mind, and then find a route to it. When you haven't been to a place in awhile, it will take you longer to visualize the journey. Since you're reducing viscosity, you're quite literally 'working' a path through the fogginess (viscosity) of your memory of a certain concept.

I'll probably define this better in a few hours; I just wanted to claim the word. I think it's quite fitting. You can always google it to get a better definition.

Edited by Change

Rehash Power = Deviance - Irrelevance

Deviance increases with moving  through low-viscosity locations.

Irrelevance increases with time spent away from civilization, thus gradual removal from perception of social needs.  The longer you stay away from the "hub" the more you cease trying to be involved in the bright side of changing the world.

Rehash Power (RP), then, goes away over time (due to the Irrelevance effect) unless you do something useful with it.

RP loss could be reduced through a skill, similarly to energetic immunity.

Username: Kyphis

ID: 104972

Word: Perceptibility

Meaning:

adjective
capable of being perceived; recognizable; appreciable: a perceptible change in his behavior.

Word: Lucidity

Meaning:

noun
the quality of being easily understood, completely intelligible, or comprehensible: She makes her argument with pointed logic and exemplary lucidity.
the ability to see things clearly; rationality; sanity: In a rare moment of lucidity, the senator sided with his political enemies for the good of the country.
Edited by Kyphis the Bard

Reality stimulation

I think that our spirits are some kind of reality essence : the reality is defined by what we think is real. Lowering viscosity in a place make you maintaining it's reality by being aware of it, so it is a "stimulation" of the reality of this place. And the ability to stimulate reality fit well the object creation, because at a point you become able to stimulate the reality so strongly that you can tranform a wishpoint and some heat into a concrete object. But doing that weaken your personal reality essence, and you must wait and train to be able to do it again.

Edited by Dolomich

I like the options Kyphis mentioned so far, but I would call it Attunement.

at•tune (əˈtun, əˈtyun)

v.t. -tuned, -tun•ing.

1. to bring into accord, harmony, or sympathetic relationship; adjust: to attune oneself to country living.
2. to tune or bring into harmony.

or also:

alter or regulate so as to achieve accuracy or conform to a standard.

Discernment

From Merriam-Webster's dictionary:

:  the quality of being able to grasp and comprehend what is obscure :  skill in discerning
:  an act of perceiving or discerning something

To discern is to separate truth from falsehood, reality from what is unreal.  I believe it is suitable because it involves perception, but it also implies care and choice (thus it takes time).  If memory is separating reality from things forgotten, we must take care in how we allow ourselves to remember it into being, because memories are so often uncertain.  In regards to weakening, it involves focus; once we make a decision (using it with a wishpoint to create something) our focus will shift and we must rebuild the skill.

Maybe perseverance. To overcome that viscosity holding you back, to keep pushing no matter how much it tries to hold you back.

And that sounds a like like preservation. Topreserve those realities slipping away. To preserve the memory, the location into the here and now.

SO maybe just glue them together Preserverance

Resolve

verb
settle or find a solution to (a problem, dispute, or contentious matter).
decide firmly on a course of action.
noun
firm determination to do something.

It satisfies the stubborn drive to storm through viscosity, to find something even if you have to make it yourself, and can be broken or eroded when you get bored or tired while doing something.

I liked many of the suggestions already mentioned and I won't pretend mine is better than many of them. I just think
Memento is better.

me•men•to (məˈmɛn toʊ) 

n., pl. -tos, -toes.

1. something that serves as a reminder of what is past or gone; keepsake; souvenir.
2. anything serving as a reminder or warning.

Some things about this suggestion:

1. Mementos can be both physical and imaginary. Both a sound and an old cup of tea can bring memories back. Helps to keep feet on the ground.
2. The concept of remembering, keeping a memory alive is central to the notion of fighting viscosity.
3. Mementos can both "happen" by circunstance or be created to remember a particular situation - a notion that, I believe, supplants will or determination related suggestions, since they are too broad to allow a person through viscosity only.
4. As a skill, Memento would be less like remembering and more like "memory crafting", something that I believe is in tune with the requirement Mur proposed above - that it must be something that one can work on, is consuming and also developing. If viscosity is an "oblivion fog" roughly speaking, Memento is the ability to take what is left, polish, craft and leave behind a memory that is not only more solid, but will also be easier to remember. Like a woodworker will be better if he sculpts a particular design a few times, so will the character at sculpting his memories and, as such, the world.
5. It avoids the notion of forgetfulness as weakness: when you forget something sometimes you can't simply remember, no matter how hard you try. It's not a matter of strengh, moral resolve or even effort. Memories are things of familiarity, clues, hints... that's why I really liked the Pathfinding suggestion Change has made, although I think the name is a bit misleading at first - the path you are looking for has an exterior manifestation, but is an Inner path.

If you think the idea is pleasing, please comment and make suggestions.  :))

Username: Menhir

ID: 202298

I suggest the following: REMEMBRANCE

re·mem·brance [rɪˈmɛmbrəns]
n.
a. The act or process of remembering.
b. The state of being remembered: holds him in fond rememberance.
2. Something serving to celebrate or honor the memory of a person or event; a memorial.
3. The length of time over which one's memory extends.
4. Something remembered; a reminiscence.
5. A souvenir.
6. A greeting or token expressive of affection.

[Middle English, from Old French, from remembrer, to remember; see remember.]

The idea came into my mind and the dictionary translation is from here: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/remembrance.

From my point of view it is fitting perfectly to the idea of overcoming the act of forgetting and loosing something and by remembering it (in our case a place/landscape) we "fight" against the loss of it.

intuition  noun \ˌin-tü-ˈi-shən, -tyü-\

: a natural ability or power that makes it possible to know something without any proof or evidence : a feeling that guides a person to act a certain way without fully understanding why

: something that is known or understood without proof or evidence

:  quick and ready insight

a :  immediate apprehension or cognition

b :  knowledge or conviction gained by intuition

c :  the power or faculty of attaining to direct knowledge or cognition without evident rational thought and inference

Intuition can fit the idea of getting a better understanding of something, like when walking through highly viscous areas to bring them back to reality and revive their memory. It can also motivate the creation of new items based on that understanding, but it can be easily lost as well, because it's more instinct-driven and not really the result of prolonged learning or deep studying of things, both of which can't be forgotten that easy.

Eh..what the hell...let me try:

1. Interviscosity comes from intertextuality.

Intertextuality is the shaping of a text meaning by another text.An example of intertextuality is an author’s borrowing and transformation of a prior text or to a reader’s referencing of one text in reading another.

2.Rheopecticity comes from rheopectic

rheopectic=the property exhibited by certain slow-gelling, thixotropic sols of gelling more rapidly when the containing vessel is shaken gently. For example a rheopectic paint  thickens
into clumps when you apply it, and when you stop trying to smooth it out, it runs down the wall.

Not trying to pick a fight, but I also suggested Rememberance (at the meeting, verifiable via the chatlog).

Reason for suggestion:

Imagine a path through the woods or a feild. After much lack of use, the path becomes overgrown, and requires much effort to navigate (build up of viscosity). By remembering where you have tread before, you wear down the resistance (or viscosity) thus making the path easier to travel over time (lowering of viscosity).

Aspiration

Based on the fact that we have a desire to do and overcome things (like travel through an area with a high viscosity), and although it's difficult, we keep trying. As we get closer to our goal, our aspiration increases tremendously because we've seen results from our efforts (akin to the build up of heat from travelling through an area with viscosity). Also, in reference to a medical dictionary, aspiration is the removal of something that shouldn't be somewhere (example: fluid in the lungs is removed by aspiration). So, in this sense, it could be the removal/lowering of the viscosity.

*edit was to add punctuation and another suggestion

Edited by Intrigue

eidos [ahy-dos] || In Greek, εἶδος
the formal content of a culture, encompassing its system of ideas, criteria for interpreting experience, etc. 

[from dictionary.com]

Eidos encompasses the collective unveiling of the most significant and fundamental type of reality experienced through the senses - ideas, memories, not just material change.

Edited by Phantom Orchid

awareness:

a·ware  (schwa.gif-wârprime.gif)

adj.
1. Having knowledge or cognizance: aware of the difference between the two versions; became aware of faint sound.
2. Archaic Vigilant; watchful.
[Middle English, variant of iwar, from Old English gewær; see wer-3 in Indo-European roots.]
a·wareprime.gifness n.
Synonyms: aware, cognizant, conscious, sensible, awake, alert, watchful, vigilant
These adjectives mean mindful or heedful: Aware implies knowledge gained through one's own perceptions or by means of information:Are you aware of your opponent's hostility? I am aware that the legislation passed.
Cognizant is a formal equivalent of aware: "Our research indicates that the nation's youth are cognizant of the law" (Jerry D. Jennings).
Conscious emphasizes the recognition of something sensed or felt: "an importance . . . of which even Americans are barely conscious" (William Stanley Jevons).
Sensible implies knowledge gained through intuition or intellectual perception: "I am sensible that the mention of such a circumstance may appear trifling" (Henry Hallam).
To be awake is to have full consciousness of something: "as much awake to the novelty of attention in that quarter as Elizabeth herself" (Jane Austen).
Alert stresses quickness to recognize and respond: I remained alert to career opportunities.
Watchful and vigilant imply looking out for what is dangerous or potentially so: The watchful parents protected their toddler. The ranger kept a vigilant eye out for forest fires.

Déjà Vu:

Déjà vu, from French, literally "already seen", is the phenomenon of having the strong sensation that an event or experience currently being experienced has been experienced in the past, whether it has actually happened or not.