Head Contest - complaint

John Constantine

I want to complain about Head Contest. The information provided in announcement is:

This is a CONTEST! First 4 of each group will get a prize consisting in a stats, skill and credits boost and a head trophy medal!

But in reality player's need minimum 2000 score to get price.

So I ask: WHERE IS THAT INFORMATION?

I and many young players fight long time just for what?

To get the news that that there won't be any rewards for second, third and fourth place, because there was announcement about rules change. 

This is misguiding people. Player's don't have strict and complete information about contest.

So what? I have to read all the Forum posts, asks players and g know what to get just the INFORMATION about it? 

The is unjust and this shows sloppines which I see in MagicDuel more over the time and in many aspects.

If you want to make contest or whatever else provide strict and easily available information about it. And don't find exuces, because adding two or three text lines doesn't take weeks to do. 

But what I see? That you are making us idiots.

I was fighting couple of days till the the last minute just to get information that I won't get anything. 

I won't leave that and I will send complaint about it  to Mur. 

• Root Admin

So, as i explained ingame, there was an annnouncement, Once this was made the rules were reviewed and found lacking in a number of places.

Therefore council asked MRAlyon to rewrite them. he did this and sent in the rules to council, which then got sent to me.

During that time there some personal issues which distracted me from MD a lot (no, i wont tell you if you ask privately) and that meant that i didnt do this and the email got burried.

In conclusion, its my fault the new rules wasnt uploaded, because when i was asked to i was very distracted, I wont apologise for not originally uploading them because family is more important than MD but i do apologize for not checking my emails well enough becuase i got a lot of emails from people, so its easy to lose things.

• Root Admin

I was on a lot of medication during that period of time. So <some words burns removed becuase free speech is not allowed on the forum> you very nicely.
As one of the members who can "approve" your request i deny it.

I have updated the rules to what should have been uploaded when i was unable to.

Ann. 2797 - [2013-10-06 00:08:04 - Stage 12] Posted By Chewett
The Heads contest rules has been updated to what was produced by MRAlyon, the delay in uploading was due to no coders being available at the time.

Edited by Chewett
Language

You to. 

You can't change the rules when the contest is in progess. Law is not retroactive. And you are not judge and jury simultaneously.

It wasn't request for you. I will ask for private audience with Mur when I calm down a bit. 

• Root Admin

Ann. 2375 - [2012-08-20 20:42:03 - Stage 11]
Head Contest Change
The heads contest has changed due to the low interest of the players towards it. Changes include:
MP3 players can no longer participate in the Heads Contest.
Only MP4 and MP5 get heads each tick.
A minimum score of 2000 points is needed to win a medal and stats at the heads contest.
Heads contest shall be held every 4 months on the 28th, January, May and September

Actually, any law except for criminal law can be, and is regularly applied retroactively. But that's not the case here, the rule was there, it was announced [see post over this] and everything.

It sucks that the HC rules page never got updated, but a large portion of the in-game documentation is outdated, sadly.

I did not participate the constest because I was in story mode. Aside from my low chances of winning, it afforded 4 prizes, so,  thought, "maybe I can one". This is very misleading.

Aside from the "elogious" words between Chewett and Constatine, it is of my opinion that the rules of the challenge count as they are made public - and it said 4 prizes in the contest's page.

Pipstickz says "the challenge is not fair", but I say a challenge with moving rules is no challenge at all. Similar shifiting rules are used in shady circumstances to punish participants, so it betrays the purpose of contending and is, therefore, not a contest. Using a hyperbolic example, if Chewett decided "the new change made in the rules say Donald Black has won all the prizes, I only had no time to say it before" people here would be having a shi*fit - they would feel stolen from their time - and they would be right. That's what is happening here; the other winners (and I refer to them like this because they are) were stolen by a piece of rules that wasn't made public apropriately by whatever reasons (because to them it makes no difference) and have all right to complain.

If Chewett denies John the audience he's asking with Mur this makes this ALL THE WORST since he has:

1. Admitted the mistake was his;

2. Said he'll do nothing about it;

3. Will deny access to the resolution of a problem he has created himself, while not solving it.

It says: "Yes, I did things wrong because I had issues, but I'll do nothing about it, none of you will do anything about and if any of you tries, I'll mess it up". This is not even about the contest anymore, is about being fair.

I'm a rookie and I know many players - Chewett being an extreme case - gives a lot more time and effort to MD than me, but fair is fair. The right thing to do is to reward all winners according the the public rules, change the rules after and hold other contests in the new law. Burns, over there, said law is applied retroactively, but as far as my research led it only retrocedes in benefit of the charged - and in this case there are innocent people being punished. Put yourself in the place of the other players for a bit, ok?

Also, the restriction page, or rule page as it is, says the game provides the ability to question decisions.

Not to give people the chance to question a decision is being very authoritarian: while this happens a lot in real life and in other games, this is (alledgely) a community built game and the purpose to it is making things different and fun - and there is no fun at all in being stolen from.

Now, something to remember about the intro:

This is a multiplayer adventure game, you will find here creature fights, amazing places, secret areas, puzzles to solve, alliance collaborative play, a story that changes based on your decisions , magic spells and much much more...

Let's just hope this "much more" doesn't involve "the same stuff you hear at work and from your government and that makes you feel tired with life and people all around" - that would be very anticlimatic.

• Root Admin

public rules: http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/14911-head-contest-complaint/?p=145283

It wasnt hidden, it was announced, just some old pages were wrong.

>>>If Chewett denies John the audience he's asking with Mur this makes this ALL THE WORST since he has:

Im not Mur's secretary, im one of the coders of the game and with that i have certain power, i have said that from my PoV i wont be doing anything, i even encouraged him to talk to HC, PC or Mur ingame when he was complaining.

---

There have been contests since this rule was implemented, with no issues. So the only issue is that someone didnt know the rules for it.

Edited by Chewett

Burns, over there, said law is applied retroactively, but as far as my research led it only retrocedes in benefit of the charged - and in this case there are innocent people being punished.

Incorrect, this is what happens when criminal laws get loosened. In any other case, laws can be applied retroactively if it's decided that way. But mhew, we're not in law school, we're in MD.

Pipstickz says "the challenge is not fair", but I say a challenge with moving rules is no challenge at all. Similar shifiting rules are used in shady circumstances to punish participants, so it betrays the purpose of contending and is, therefore, not a contest.

That's not what happened. The new rule was discussed, announced and implemented long before this contest, see Ann. 2375 - [2012-08-20 20:42:03 - Stage 11]. It's been running with this rule for over a year, and if you track back recent results in the announcements, you'll also see that there were several contests in which the 2nd, 3rd and 4th place didn't get enough points to win. This is not some made up rule that we cooked up yesterday because we didn't like the winners, it's been like that for ages, it's just the documentation on that gizmo-thingy that never got updated.

some toughts

johnconstantine, donniecesar
I share your feeling, as that for an new player, looking at the contest page, realising that what is written for rules is not what is follow seem unjust
But you where told right older players are aware that an rule change was in an annoncement before, just that what was written was not updated

MD community, concil
I want to summit the idea that this case in an exemple of what make MagicDuel less friendly to new players
And an priority to make effort to prevent such occurence seem to me it would be an idea for the good of MagicDuel

I dont think its realistic to expect an new or recent player to dig in old annoncements to be sure there was not an rule change

• Root Admin

MD community, concil
I want to summit the idea that this case in an exemple of what make MagicDuel less friendly to new players
And an priority to make effort to prevent such occurence seem to me it would be an idea for the good of MagicDuel

If you want to help, you can start by reading through every single text and rewriting it if there is some issues in the content :)

As you might expect this is a rather large job, so may want to recruit more people so its finished before this century ends.

Simply put, there is a lot of text, and most people dont want to help out, so if you are going to complain and not help then its not going to be improved by those that freely devote their time.

• Root Admin

John, your score was 58 around the time you were hoping to have won, Do you consider this score worthy of getting a medal and associated prizes?

I dont, considering that Mur also won a medal and prize by merely being around during the contest, not fighting at all. Which was entirely the reason for implementing the change. It unfortunate to see that you felt you deserved a prize and didnt get it.

Also, the restriction page, or rule page as it is, says the game provides the ability to question decisions.

Not to give people the chance to question a decision is being very authoritarian: while this happens a lot in real life and in other games, this is (alledgely) a community built game and the purpose to it is making things different and fun - and there is no fun at all in being stolen from.

Now, something to remember about the intro:

This is a multiplayer adventure game, you will find here creature fights, amazing places, secret areas, puzzles to solve, alliance collaborative play, a story that changes based on your decisions , magic spells and much much more...

Let's just hope this "much more" doesn't involve "the same stuff you hear at work and from your government and that makes you feel tired with life and people all around" - that would be very anticlimatic.

Yes, this IS a community built game, and that leads to things getting left behind and forgotten, especially when it's something that doesn't pertain to most of the players (not admins, not game designers) that would know how to fix it or get it fixed.