MD Awards 2013 - Categories

Grido

Here we'll discuss the various categories for this year's awards.

Copied over from last year, below is the list of previous categories to add, remove and change as consensus dictates. I will strike out any that are decided to be removed from the list.
New categories are also encouraged, and will get added to the list if there's no/negligible objections to it and multiple people want it included. This is the purpose of the thread, to come up with a final list of categories, remove and add as you decide, I'll just edit the list every so often.

There's currently 13 categories, I would like to try to get it down to 10, if there's more than that when the thread closes then I'll reduce it to that number myself, so it's in your interests to keep that number down :)

Adventuring Award
For the person most dedicated, or who perseveres most at quests. Not necessarily for completing, or winning the most.

Best Beautification

Given for the highest quality of artistic contributions given to beautify the realm, be it personification of papers, contribution to avatar gallery, or item depiction.

Champion Fighter
For the person considered to be the best fighter in the realm, this does not necessarily have to be the strongest fighter in the realm, but the one that uses the combat system to the best effect.

Fossil of the year
For the player who has been around so long they have turned into a fossil. The player must be visibly active over the past year, and on the veterans list in game.

The Golden Protector
For the player who is viewed as performing the best in the role of protector(MP6) during the past year. The player does not have to currently be a protector. The voter should take into account the actions of the other protectors in the realm, rather than automatically voting for their own. Best can mean how helpful the protector has been, to how effective they have been in recruiting worshippers, this is at the voters discretion.

Helper of the Year
For the player deemed to have been the most helpful. This is open to any player, and is not restricted to LHOs. The area of helpfulness the player focusses on can vary, but due to the original focus of the award being to LHOs, it would be implied that the award is based on peoples helpfulness towards newer players. The voter should realise that even though they may not get on with, or have been helped by one of the nominees, this does not mean that the player is not indeed helpful.

Most Addicted
For the player who just can't leave MD for more than a minute without needing a fix.

Most Popular
Given to that most charismatic player who has attracted the largest and most consistent following. Not to be given to the most powerful or prestigious member of the realm, but rather the most well-loved.

Outstanding Service to MD
For the player thought to have done the most to contribute to MD over the year. This can be in any field.

Pre-eminent Role Player
For the player deemed to Role Play the best. The player does not have to stay in character all the time to win this award (though it may help), rather when they do role play it is to the highest standard - this does usually go in hand with remaining in character.

Prime Quest
For the player seen as creating the best quest over the past year. Just because a voter did not manage to complete the quest, does not mean it was a bad quest necessarily, the voter is asked to take this into account when voting.

Rookie of the year
For the player deemed to have made the most progress since they started their account. The player must have created their account since 1st November 2012 and have more than 20 AD at the time of voting. By progress it is meant a step towards a defined role or position (not necessarily official) within the realm, or integration within the community to a large degree.

Top Techie
For the person credited as creating the most popular MD-scripted event or script.

If you feel any of the descriptions need updating or otherwise changing, please say so here as well.

If you are good at art, and fancy helping out with something for this, PLEASE contact me regarding, I'll try to compensate you for your time and effort.

All previous MD Award threads can be found via the topic-tagging system under "MD Awards" if you don't know how to get to that, look just below the title of the thread and click on the words below the Started by.. line.

Well... If you are really keen on shrinking the amount of categories, I guess Golden Protector should be the one for you to target, because MD's population decreased and it can only support two protectors, so it comes to voting whether player 1 or player 2 wins it.

Not that I would mind if everything stays the same as last year.

• Root Admin

Well... If you are really keen on shrinking the amount of categories, I guess Golden Protector should be the one for you to target, because MD's population decreased and it can only support two protectors, so it comes to voting whether player 1 or player 2 wins it.

Not that I would mind if everything stays the same as last year.

I agree that category should be removed.

• Root Admin

I agree with both my colleagues remove Golden protector.

And also Fossil of the year and Top Techie

Fossil of the year, yeah i would agree. Its the same people that win it every year. its pointless.

Top Techie, its either won by the Coders of MD, me, rendril or someone who has done the best quest which fits into prime quester. Kinda pointless really.

(edit- for you to realize that it's a problem we see here and should be addressed to make the realm better, if you can't spot the problem you cannot fix it, to tell me to take my words elsewhere is not what you want, I might not take them elsewhere.)

Hmm, I dont know cant think of it.

Change most addicted to most active (like in hours per day)

Edited by Mallos

Just to say Fossil is already restricted from previous people winning it again.

And this thread is purely to discuss what categories for the awards, not anything that might change a feature in the game.

Let's bring this one back

Elite Evil Villain of the Year

For the person who is viewed as being the most villainous over the past year. The voter can interpret this in various ways, including but not limited to; most negative disturbance caused, most times sent to jail, most people peeved off by them, most ingenious/devious plan devised and carried out.

Yes I think protector award can stay as long as there were 2 or so protectors in a year. And this year I could count Syrian and Eagle Eye as the most recent, as to what happened earlier this year I don't quite care to remember, have other things on my mind (like nightmode and you don't care whatelse/spam).

(edited one of my above posts)

Edited by Mallos

• Root Admin

Yes I think protector award can stay as long as there were 2 or so protectors in a year. And this year I could count Syrian and Eagle Eye as the most recent, as to what happened earlier this year I don't quite care to remember, have other things on my mind (like nightmode and you don't care whatelse/spam).

(edited one of my above posts)

voting between two different people, i feel, is very poor.

This is why top techie should also go.

It's not only two people though, as all of us have the chance to become protector and thus receive that reward (this example boosts possible activity in realm), those are the only ones who have taken the chance. Either way, I'll leave it up to you to decide whether it should be removed or not.

Edited by Mallos

Hmmm... How about you keep the categories, add the villain one because of the tradition of the reward, and just add another voting option - "Nobody should get it this year"?

It should be put in a non-offending context towards the candidates, though.

That way we don't brutaly destroy tradition to adapt to lower numbers of population, we do it more smoothly by just putting some sections in a temporary stasis, by the 'opinion of the people', which is what this manifestation is all about.

Concerning villain, we can put the reward back up when there are worthy candidates. As for removing top techie, i was suggesting it be kept so that it can be rewarded for performance rather than taking into account competition. In fact, I'd like to nominate burns as well. Both of them together have coded almost all clickey quests this year. Since they didnt actualy create the quest in half or more cases, but coded for someonelse, they arent eligible for prime quest when only coding is taken into account. Hence top techie.

Don't care bout Protector or Fossil. That is upto you people.

Hmmm... How about you keep the categories, add the villain one because of the tradition of the reward, and just add another voting option - "Nobody should get it this year"?

It should be put in a non-offending context towards the candidates, though.

That way we don't brutaly destroy tradition to adapt to lower numbers of population, we do it more smoothly by just putting some sections in a temporary stasis, by the 'opinion of the people', which is what this manifestation is all about.

The main downside to this I see is there would be more votes that need to be counted.

• Root Admin

There's currently 13 categories, I would like to try to get it down to 10, if there's more than that when the thread closes then I'll reduce it to that number myself, so it's in your interests to keep that number down :)

What gives you the right to arbitrarily remove categories? The MD awards are for MD, they are not the Grido Awards, arbitrarily chosen and entirely run by Grido to let who he wants win, win. All changes to it should be agreed on by the public, or a committee approved by the public, say, the Public Council.