MD Awards 2013 - Categories

Grido

All changes to it should be agreed on by the public, or a committee approved by the public, say, the Public Council.

Entirely in the public's powers to do something before immediately remitting to an approved committee by, say, opening a thread about it on the forum.

Hmmm... How about you keep the categories, add the villain one because of the tradition of the reward, and just add another voting option - "Nobody should get it this year"?

That way we don't brutaly destroy tradition to adapt to lower numbers of population, we do it more smoothly by just putting some sections in a temporary stasis, by the 'opinion of the people', which is what this manifestation is all about.

This reminds me of land voting, and it seems to make sense.

Also, by "manifestation" do you mean this thread?

Also, by "manifestation" do you mean this thread?

The whole MD awards as an event.

if the choice is RON or your friend. you are going to vote your friend no matter how poor they are. i dont think a RON will help the popularity voting.

The concern that people will vote for whom they like rather than whom they think truly deserves to win is very present for this event in the last several years.

I think that we should drop trying to bend the rules to try, in our eyes, limiting nepotism in voting - why? Well, because the event is devized as "whole MD votes", pushing the votes in a certain direction is against that concept. 

If a person 'truly' deserves to win a category, no friend votes will stop the person from winning it. There are no players that would get half of MD population to vote for them on the soul reason that they like the candidate, and if I am mistaken, then the actual event shouldn't be held, in the first place.

Everything in MD is a result of a vote or veto in some form or the other. I suggest we cut the whole issue bout favouritism, because it cannot be avoided. I have seen people deserve their awards till last year, else they won't be nominated. Besides, the fact that dst is in the management is enough reassurance for me. Many people may not think so, but she is pretty fair when it comes to stuff like this.

• Root Admin

Everything in MD is a result of a vote or veto in some form or the other. I suggest we cut the whole issue bout favouritism, because it cannot be avoided. I have seen people deserve their awards till last year, else they won't be nominated. Besides, the fact that dst is in the management is enough reassurance for me. Many people may not think so, but she is pretty fair when it comes to stuff like this.

What can dst do to make it fairer? From my sight she is only there to count votes/manage it. And wouldnt be able to stop the "land voting" problems.

The concern that people will vote for whom they like rather than whom they think truly deserves to win is very present for this event in the last several years.

I think that we should drop trying to bend the rules to try, in our eyes, limiting nepotism in voting - why? Well, because the event is devized as "whole MD votes", pushing the votes in a certain direction is against that concept. 

You have ignored my point.

I am ignoring the favouritism when choosing between two players. If one category only had one participant and a RON, its exceptionally likely that people would vote for not RON, just because of friendship.

"Any objections from anyone with regard to removing Fossil and Protector awards"

Fossil  i assisted to that award last year, found it interesting, with some funny quotes ... we should keep that award

best suggestion i read in this thread is to put an option for voting, not candidate should get it this year .. that way

when one year ther is some it will still be there that award

also ilike the suggestion that past fossils are not eliigible , to make place for new nominies

also i am in the opinion that best tecky is not necessary the best quest maker... as coding clicy is not necessary the same

one can make outstanding quest without coding  clicy or having the clicy code by someone else

What can dst do to make it fairer? From my sight she is only there to count votes/manage it. And wouldnt be able to stop the "land voting" problems.

Management counts a lot.. no? picking out alt votings and throwing them away... similar stuff.

Grido: Why are you looking to reduce the number of categories? Shouldn't we be looking for more things to celebrate, rather than nitpicking over alts and friends voting for friends and all that stuff? While it is pertinent to do away with unnecessary or repetitive awards, you have seemingly picked an arbitrary number and charged the public with figuring it out with no suggestions, feedback or explanation of any sort, and then threatened everybody with "I will pick if you can't". I don't mean to sound ungrateful, as I'm sure it takes plenty of organizational work to put this together, but I would prefer to see it grow rather than shrink.

@Chewett: Wasn't aware what you meant RON represents, but still, my point stands. 

You just need to make people aware in which situations should they vote RON rather than for a concrete player, like we are doing in this discussion.

You can do that by crafty combination of words for that RON voting option, or somehow else.

What gives you the right to arbitrarily remove categories? The MD awards are for MD, they are not the Grido Awards, arbitrarily chosen and entirely run by Grido to let who he wants win, win. All changes to it should be agreed on by the public, or a committee approved by the public, say, the Public Council.

It wouldn't be arbitrary, it would be based on what people suggest here, but not necessarily what everyone has agreed upon. Besides which that part is due to be copy pasting a lot of text and not reading it thoroughly.

I'm also against the RoN/Null vote options. Just because certain awards don't exist this year, or haven't been up for a couple years, does not mean that they can't be brought back if people want them back.

As for the reduction in the amount of categories, it's a reflection on the amount of active people in the realm, the more people there are, the more winners it's practical to have, and vice versa. As with anything here, if the public do not wish for this, it doesn't have to.

Since you reached no valid conclusion, I will make one: we remove the protector, we don't add the villain and we keep the fossil and techie.

Tomorrow morning I will open the thread where you can nominate players for the categories.

If you have something to say about the categories, you still have until tomorrow when i arrive at the office and drink my coffee.

We are behind the schedule already so I cannot let you linger.

Well since i am eligible for fossil award this year i obv. object to it's removal :)

On more constructive note, unless everyone on most active list has had this award (or all previously given removed) it's unfair to remove a catecory that is based on just one criteria. This can more or less also be applied on the best protector etc.

So in a way the "I like none"  vote makes sense. i for sure would not vote for anyone in the protector category. And maybe a lot of the others.

Edited by Miq

Chewett and Azull are for removing fossil.

Tom and Miq are for keeping it.

I am for keeping it as well (plus Pipsticks was for keeping as many awards as possible if i understood it right) so we'll keep the fossil.

Thus being said, please nominate here:

http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/15145-nominations-for-md-awards-2013/

Grids please close the topic (or any other person that can close it).