A new value unit - donating hours of my life :)

Muratus del Mur

• Root Admin
55 minutes ago, Steno said:

I am not sure if this is where to post when they have occurred or not (not totally clear on the procedure of this initiative since I haven't seen Ailith for a bit.

But I didn't understand coding at all, let alone MDScript. Chewett spend over an hour answering questions, walking me (the blundering fool) through the hurdles of basic MDScripting to do some basic things that are incredibly handy in quest-writing.

If you want to check it out(or need the proof), go to the discord, and go to language learning channel.

Search for "Timer starts now, 16:50" to find the beginning of the lecture"

Details also posted on the forum: http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/19010-md-life-lessons-mdscript-given-to-steno-by-chewett/

• Root Admin

Something is not working right and i try to understand whats going on. Except Chew-Steno coin, i have none on the list. Are you not interested in the available menus, or is it a lack of communication or don't know the "what to do next" part?

Ofc its possible that not everyone would see this initiative as useful as i do, but without eliminating all reasons, i can't tell. Help me understand please from your own perspective, why the lecture coins thing was seen initially with great feedback, but nobody wants anything, even if its free/sponsored,

..maybe i can improve things?

The student should look for the teacher, not the other way around...i just can't believe there are only teachers in md but no students :))

ps. i didn't apply for any myself yet, due to lack of time, its a super busy period for me and i don't want to be the one that is not taking this thing seriously, but whats your honest reason?

• Root Admin
26 minutes ago, Muratus del Mur said:

Help me understand please from your own perspective, why the lecture coins thing was seen initially with great feedback, but nobody wants anything, even if its free/sponsored,

MD is not massively active atm, lots of people didn't like the interface as it was quite buggy/hard to use due to the firefox issues and the bottom menu being wonky and left after the birthday rather than experiencing the "boost" we normally receive after it.

• Root Admin
28 minutes ago, Muratus del Mur said:

ps. i didn't apply for any myself yet, due to lack of time, its a super busy period for me and i don't want to be the one that is not taking this thing seriously, but whats your honest reason?

Personally my reason is that while I am quite interested in taking some of them I don't really have the time as I have had lots of people asking me to do various MD work since this started and I have been dedicated to that in my free time.

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, Chewett said:

MD is not massively active atm, lots of people didn't like the interface as it was quite buggy/hard to use due to the firefox issues and the bottom menu being wonky and left after the birthday rather than experiencing the "boost" we normally receive after it.

The lecture coins announcement was made longer after those that did not enjoy the new interface left or became highly inactive. So, what you are saying is that its simply a numbers issue? Not enough people to put things in motion?

• Root Admin
45 minutes ago, Muratus del Mur said:

The lecture coins announcement was made longer after those that did not enjoy the new interface left or became highly inactive. So, what you are saying is that its simply a numbers issue? Not enough people to put things in motion?

Yeah I dont think there is enough people here/interested in doing it. MD is currently in sleep mode tbh. Thats what Im saying about the interface. Normally we get a lot of people stay for ~6 months after the birthday but they dropped off really fast this year, from speaking to them mostly because of the interface being confusing/buggy and throwing errors at them.

5 hours ago, Muratus del Mur said:

ps. i didn't apply for any myself yet, due to lack of time, its a super busy period for me and i don't want to be the one that is not taking this thing seriously, but what's your honest reason?

oh, i've been wanting to get 3-4 lectures from the list, i just keep saying 'later, i've got some things to do now...'

• Root Admin

thanks for the clarification everyone.

I was worried there was no interest.

Sadly i did what i could with the interface, the things left will be done slowly over time. The radical change had to be done asap regardless of cost/outcome because the old one was based on things no longer functional. Also there was no way to keep the visual goodies of the old interface, and the new one is designed on different concepts..i expected this will not be easily accepted but i still believe everything its on the right track, just takes time to perfect and people to adapt. 

The new interface some hate so much, its something that i thought will never happen and md will die due to it, so..i am glad it is how it is.

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, Muratus del Mur said:

Sadly i did what i could with the interface, the things left will be done slowly over time. The radical change had to be done asap regardless of cost/outcome because the old one was based on things no longer functional. Also there was no way to keep the visual goodies of the old interface, and the new one is designed on different concepts..i expected this will not be easily accepted but i still believe everything its on the right track, just takes time to perfect and people to adapt. 

Im working on it as I can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin
On 7/20/2020 at 6:18 PM, Ungod said:

Yesterday I had a talk with Bash on one of the topics he listed, lasting a bit more than an hour.

How do I proceed from here? send a mail to mur@magicduel?

Send a mail to that address detailing what you talked about. Possibly also ask Bash to "review" the hour and state what he feels about it and send that on the email too.

I asked Bash how he feels and i must tell you that that guy is insane, period.
It`s like there is at least five different people under his skin, out of which Bash himself is probably the worst!
I am writing this and i feel that he wakes once more, please... hel...
...lo there, folks!:D

Joke aside, it was great hour, Ungod was great too! Who would have thought that:))
Bring it anytime, shiny folks! 

• 1 month later...
  • Root Admin

I spent an hour talking with Fang on Discord about Archery, the types of bows in standard worldwide competitions, components of a standard Recurve bow, how to make a personalised arrow legal for competitions, and discussed the meaning of life briefly.

@Fang Archbane please comment a review on your learning.

• Sights are recommended for recurve/compound bows starting at 20+ feet from target

• Y beams as stabilizers are a must. Shifts gravity forward slightly

• Shock dampeners also shift weight (They aren't just flicky stress relief) 

• Sights must be set to a Baseline (Distance, Weather, Wind Direction, Humidity,and Slope of Field) and adjusted accordingly as circumstances shift

• 90+Meters requires slightly heavier bows (and builds to match it)

• The art of Archery is as vast as the ocean. Any. Take your pick

• Arrows are commonly made of 3 components (Wood/Aluminum/Carbon Fibre)

• Carbon Fibre is not to be messed with. Use gloves if making your own arrows using this

• Carbon Fibre tends to be the best arrow material (as long as you are CAREFUL)

• Every home made arrow is more or less as Unique as its Creator

• Archery arrows only need to meet a length, and fletchling color requirement

• Match, dont Clash… so speaketh the Wooky

• Draw Length is defined as the distance between the nocking point and the final resting place of your hand before loosing the arrow

• Nocking point is defined as the point you place the arrow on the bow

• Making your own arrows is a 3 stage process (Buy the arrow shafts & cut them down to required size/place tips & Nocks on arrow/Add Fletching)

• The longer an arrow is, the heavier it is, and the shorter it will fly

• Arrow length/thickness required is directly tied to one's own Draw Length and 

• Stronger bows require thicker arrows in general, so they don't Speed Wobble

• In direct contrast, if using a Lighter bow you'd want smaller arrows

• Again, Carbon Fibre splinters are on another level, tread with CARE

• Cutting down an arrow is best done using a tool meant specifically for this task

• Tips come in various weights, do your maths, get the one that's right for you

• Competition archery requires you have three fletchings, and use a proper tool to verify that each piece is at a 120 degree offset

• Fletching tends to be 2 of one color, and 1 a separate color

• Competitive archery also requires you number your arrows for identification purposes

• Some clubs/competitions require metal inside your arrows in case they get lost in earth

• The meaning of life is complicated on a good day. An honest “i don't know” is a perfectly valid response. That being said, at our very core, we should always strive to help those we can, within reason. You wouldn't judge a book before you've finished reading it. In that same light, we shouldn't try to judge, so much as simply make the world a better place. Its ok to have flaws, stare them in the face and work to better yourself every day

• 4 weeks later...

Couldn't read the rest (too long) but i'm forever grateful Mur. Cause:

"Over the years, in MD, many people learned things that eventually changed their life."

if someone (from my friends) want some of that learnings, i'm happy to share. Best do it as question format. (you know about rules and laws). When i've time to check pm s, i'll enlighten ;) you.