Death - A discussion 2.0 - You Can (Not) Revive

Ledah

Here it is... the fabled a long awaited public forum post on further improving the death system, as per Ann. 5557.

The main area of focus is going to be the middle bit of the current death system, the small part of actually being dead. Whilst there is currently a very generous solo revive system as well as a less generous group revive system - both have their pros and cons, but both are very useful in their own way, in my opinion. There is also plenty to do alive, particularly making numbers get bigger.

Interested in any and all ideas, but a few suggestions floating around at the moment:

• Removing/easing current restrictions (Regen and combat, for example)
  • Unique resources/items/creatures etc.
  • Unique quests

I'm personally mainly looking for ideas and feedback over the next week or so.

TLDR: Please spoonfeed ideas on how to make being dead more interesting.

I know it would be a huge undertaking, but I would love to see dead people become Ghosts. Interact with the world at an increased AP. You can attack other players, but it weakens their mental state(lose stats temporarily?), instead of vitality. 

Eventually go as far as making certain things only appear to you as a ghost. You could double the size of MD instantly with a Land of the Dead.

I would like to see the dead mechanics to be more oriented towards high risk, high reward.

I propose:

Remove regen, combat and movement restrictions.

Allow dead players to stay in their Alliance with their citizenship.

Lower The Dead land bonuses.

Allow dead players to get 50% more skills in fights out of The Dead and NC locations but at the same time when they lose, they lose the opponent’s skills reward.

Let alive players which go to The Dead and NC locations get 50% more skills in fights, but they lose the opponents skills reward as well.

Sanctuaries should not work for dead players.

Remove no jump tags in The Dead and NC.

Remove the lose all AP mechanic on movement in The Dead and NC.

Other:

New creature which won battles only increases if the owner is dead (no skills benefit for sac).

I am not into MD lore, but how about a taint mechanic with resources only gatherable while dead?

Nerf colored pope (not related but...)

12 hours ago, Seigheart said:

Eventually go as far as making certain things only appear to you as a ghost. You could double the size of MD instantly with a Land of the Dead.

I believe this is already the case.

12 hours ago, Else said:

Allow dead players to stay in their Alliance with their citizenship.

I believe this is also already the case.

6 hours ago, lashtal said:

"Dead-only quests" is the key imo.

I'd love to see dead-only combat as well, but stat gain should be different. I mean, you shouldn't be able to train stats while dead but perhaps you could train some other stuff... principle points?

I would think that the dead should not possess of passive regeneration (i.e. no regeneration timer at all). Thus, the vitality of the dead will not increase through regeneration (and should also not do so for consecutive days). However, instead of gaining Winertia from each battle where it would be gained, I would suggest that they should have these points converted to Vitality. From a lore perspective, one could assume that the dead do not have their own vitality, but must take it from others.

I would further suggest that having no passive regeneration would help to offset the removal of restrictions on action-points (i.e. each move no longer uses all points). One notes that it is possible to gain action-points from combat also. The limitation, then, on being dead, should be that when one's action points were depleted, that this dead being must either find another method to gain these points, or perform the quest to return to life (which, I believe, does not require of any action-points).

In regard to combat changes - I certainly like Else's idea:

13 hours ago, Else said:

New creature which won battles only increases if the owner is dead (no skills benefit for sac).

but I would suggest to extend this idea such that particular creatures would require one to be dead to be able to ascend specific levels, and other levels would require one to be alive to do so. This in itself may pose an interesting challenge (and if one were to use a wishpoint to ascend a creature requiring that the owner be dead, that this would also kill the owner during the ascension).

I cannot add this mechanic myself, but I would certainly like these mechanics to be added.

12 hours ago, Else said:

Nerf colored pope (not related but...)

Wert thou certain that thou wouldst like to decrease the effectiveness of this method of heat-loss?