Md Awards 2010 - Suggestions

Grido

I don't get it. Best rookie is <100 AD. Fossil is ~ > 700 AD.
=> The intermediate award either should be [100 AD; 700 AD]; OR [100AD; 365AD]; OR ( >=100 AD and registered after 1 november 2009 ) . Either everybody of any age is eligible for one of the age related rewards or everybody is eligible for a rookie award (at least) once. The purpose of [200AD; 400AD] is beyond me.

I personally favor [100AD; infinity[ and registered after november 2009. Might be annoying to verify though.
eg. I'd like to be able to nominate Curiose as a good newcomer. I'm almost certain she is above 100AD by now and registered after november 2009. I'm also positive I thought she was a good newcomer by the time she was, say, 50 AD. Why should I be forced to choose (or blanco) best rookie between people I probably never heard about, and not be able to vote for someone I think merits such a title?

Before I start: Yes I know that this is mostly a popularity contest.

Now, when I look at the awards I consider them to be too many. Some are already covered (or largely covered) by (an) other award(s). Some are too general, some too specific. Both result in unwanted results in my opinion, too specific results in the odds for those that fit in the category to be too great. Too general simply means it's literally a popularity contest.

I'd consider an award for players between 100- not on vet list too general. A great majority of the players fits in this category.
I can not think of an example of a best spell caster who's casts do not fit in the following categories: LHO of the Year, Champion Fighter, The Golden Protector or Pre-eminent Role Player.
I'd consider whoever might currently win Least Convincing Alts a huge negative rather than the 'joke' it was back when introducing it was basically handing it to lib. I don't see anyone doing this positively nor do I foresee anyone doing so in the future.
If best PL entry stays, I'd rename it back to 'best quote'. This way it'd become a little broader, perhaps including things that have been posted on the forums?
I'd consider 'Superlative Orator' too specific.
I'd consider 'Funniest Character' part of 'Pre-eminent Role Player'. If there is two, I'd suggest changing 'Pre-eminent Role Player' to something that actually indicates it's seriousness.
'Paragon Papers' and 'Best Back Story' are similar in my opinion. If they are both kept I'd suggest 'Paragon Papers' to be about the layout only (Please, do [i]not[/i] pick an annoying wix page here, flash is already bad enough without using a tool that makes it even slower for a task that can easily be done with HTML/JS.).
'Most Annoying' I'd consider this a cause for punishment rather than reward to be honest...
'Most Influential' If anything is close to impossible to measure, it's this one. Some people have a lot more influence than is generally perceived.
'Best Artist' I'd suggest whoever nominates an artist adds what they consider some of the best work. Avatars, scenes, images for papers, etc. As long as it is present ingame.
'Best LHO' You are limiting this to just LHO's, I'd consider this unfair. I'd suggest changing this to 'Best newbiehelper' (or something more catchy if you can come up with it)

Now you might wonder why I haven't added 'Elite Evil Villain of the Year' whilst I have expressed my doubts about 'best spell caster'. This is because casting spells is a tool, to help people, to gain an edge in a fight or to enhance your role. 'Elite Evil Villain of the Year' is not used by other categories, I'd consider it the other way around. Game mechanics, Roleplay, Spells, Combat, etc. The reason for me not suggesting to get rid of those is because they contain a lot more than just evil ends.

To conclude, yes I have used I'd a lot. This is because this is [i]my[/i] opinion and what I'd do if it were my call and mine alone. Of course other solutions may be possible to solve concerns I've outlined above. I might not have come up with them or considered these better. If think yours is better, do post. Oh, and of course you can, not share my concerns.

[color="#8B0000"][font="Palatino Linotype"]Rookie of the year should cover 365 days.
Tweenager of the year (not rookie or on the active vet list)
Most active vet of the year (from the av list)

I'm not sure best rper is a good one. It's really subjective because of differences in rp opinions

Best quest
Elite Adventurer for best quester

What about something like Citizen of the year? Could go to someone that is not in an alliance yet has contributed greatly to the realm.[/font][/color]
LE: My listing at the top was to show support of the catagories and requirements like Grido was looking for. I wasn't trying to be redundant.

Edited by Mya Celestia

don't know did somebody already suggested this (bare with me, I just woke up from a nice nap)

Champion of the Year (fighter who left most influence in this year, in the eyes of the voters)
edit: doesn't even have to be a person who is in the top of the strongest players, but someone who quickly evolved in fight, in any case great progress by an individual, someone who picked the eye of others just for his/her fighting skills

Edited by Rhaegar Targaryen

I'd have one thing to add:

I think Top Techie should be broadened, as while bugs still exist, they don't quite fuel roles as much as they used to. I think Top Techie should include knowledge of fighting and game mechanics.

Awi

Original interpretation of Techie is as Awii said, and I tried to steer it similarly last year

@Princ, if we're trying to make the list more concise, then that's the wrong way to do it

both dst and Rex agreed with LS, so unless anyone has any complaints to that (and I'd suggest sharpish to raise them) I'll make those changes tomorrow (21st)

Agree/disagree; Increase ad for rookie to 365 (register this year as well), remove "middle aged/tweenie" award? or do we still want that?

Two responses to Lightsage:

1. I think Superlative Orator should be left. While it is specific in one sense, because so many people participate in debate (forums, in game, elsewhere) it really is more general than a lot of the others that you didn't challenge, and furthermore debating is a common activity.

2. I think Most Influential should remain. There has to be one award that goes to the player who has the most far-reaching influence on the game as a whole. Every award ceremony tends to have one Ultimate Award that is highly subjective, but still remains.

Awi

• Root Admin

[quote name='awiiya' timestamp='1290306186' post='72703']

2. I think Most Influential should remain. There has to be one award that goes to the player who has the most far-reaching influence on the game as a whole. Every award ceremony tends to have one Ultimate Award that is highly subjective, but still remains.

Awi
[/quote]

Most influential is very subjective and friends will merely vote for them. MD is not like any other game, nor do i see why it should have catagories where friends will vote amoung. I disagree with this award.

Edited by Chewett

1. Awiiya said debating is a common activity. I would go further and claim that debating is a core activity of MD. It might have been a long time since the MD university or one of Mur's 'lectures' but I still consider those activities one of the things that makes MD different.

2. Every award is subjective. Do we really want to debate on how subjective it is to assign a measure of subjectivity to subjective awards? Plus if the in game vote system is used, people can be required to give reasons for this award.

I do not think that friends will vote for their friends: that's quite a cynical take.

I agree with the idea that I will vote for the people I know (otherwise known as friends), because I don't feel comfortable judging someone who I have not met, but the idea that I will vote for my favorite person is not true in my self-evaluation.

For illustration, and for the record I do know this is not a place for nominations, I would vote for one of the Kings or another: Grido, Jester, Pamplemousse, Yrthilian, or perhaps Shadowseeker.

I know all of these people, but I am still using my powers of judgment to choose which among my acquaintances most fits in line with the title of "Most Infleuntial."

Now, if this was a true popularity contest, and I was voting for the person that means the most to me, I would choose Kets, but I don't think she fits "Most Infleuntial."

All people will judge among their friends who best fits the bid - to suggest we are all going to choose our favorite people is stretching it. Who would you vote for Chewett?

Awi

PS: Isn't the person who has made the most impact often the person with the most friends (in the non-game-mechanic sense)? Wouldn't then friend count be a fairly accurate judge of influence?

Edited by awiiya

My problem with the Most Influential award is that sometimes influence isn't easily seen, because there are many things done in MD behind closed doors, as I understand it, and knowing that, then one could assume that there is some measure of effort to keep such actions unknown, and so how can we accurately judge what we don't even know about?

• Root Admin

[quote name='Pipstickz' timestamp='1290390912' post='72747']
My problem with the Most Influential award is that sometimes influence isn't easily seen, because there are many things done in MD behind closed doors, as I understand it, and knowing that, then one could assume that there is some measure of effort to keep such actions unknown, and so how can we accurately judge what we don't even know about?
[/quote]

I agree with Pip, This is the same view of the bug hunting. Some of the most serious bugs we will never see because they are too dangerous. We will never hear and therefore not know who has found these exploits. Therefore couldnt never praise them, let alone for them in such a place.

[quote name='Pipstickz' timestamp='1290390912' post='72747']
[/quote]
This applies to many of the awards. eg. Best fighter: unless you have very active alts on each and every mp level, you can only judge your own mp level. Oh you could exclude it to best mp5 level fighter, but then don't count on the lower level people voting based upon knowledge. Best bug researcher. Helper of the year: if you didn't experience problems, you didn't request help and your only base for judgement is either hearsay or activity in the paper cabin, ie not the best helper, but the most active or most liked helper. Most addicted should actually be measured in terms of time online/time that could be spent online. Someone with a job naturally has less time to spend online than a student, but might be spending most of their free time online and thus is more addicted imo. Golden protector: once again little info if you don't have a protector, and actually difficult to compare if you only ever had one. Evil villain: an efficient villain will remain anonymous. Best quote: if a Bob falls in an everpuddle and no Ledahs are there to see it, does it make a sound? etc etc

yes they are, and i'll link new topic for nominations from here in a sec

There were no further objections i noted against superlative orator (debater), so that stays. Influential will also stay, more people were in favour that against.

Nomination thread will be up in a moment, thread closed.

http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/8457-md-awards-2010-nominations/

Edited by Grido