MD Awards 2012 - "24h" Discussion

Grido

Kinda left this late to kick off again, but timings seemed to work well last year, so I would judge there'll be no issues with using the same timeframes. This topic, like last year, will be open for "24h" - that is to say some point after 24h where I feel the discussion may have stopped offering time critical input - it will not be closed though, and so discussions are welcome to continue after that.

The [url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/11354-md-awards-2011-feedback/"]feedback from last year[/url], in summary;
- Be better organised - [color=#800080]will try[/color].
- If the Rookie award goes ahead this year, then extend the registration date back to June/October 2011 for nominations. If they were nominated previously, they would still be ineligible.
- Have two separate awards for Rookie, one for Jan-June, and another for Jul-Dec (or such).
- No limit to amount of nominations -[color=#800080] I would note that this would distribute the votes wider and it would be harder to achieve a clear winner, I have suggested something to council which would allow this, and not damage the clarity of winning, however it is unfortunately unlikely to happen for this year (it was a recent email to them).[/color]
Reduce amount of nominations via forum poll, prior to actual voting.
- No restrictions on who can nominate who -[color=#800080] there was previously a restriction that didn't allow players to nominate those of their own land. This will still apply unless the consensus is against it.[/color]

For most things on the list, there are arguments in favour and against the ideas, please read the linked topic at the top of the list to read thoroughly and then continue the discussion here.

Last year's 24h discussion thread can be found [url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/10995-md-awards-2011-24h-discussion/"]here[/url] - there may be some points there that players want to discuss again.

All previous MD Award threads can be found via the topic-tagging system under "MD Awards" if you don't know how to get to that, look just below the title of the thread and click on the words below the Started by.. line.

Information relating to how the awards will run as it currently stands;

- There will be a maximum of 15 categories.
- The previous categories will be listed in a thread, and players can then argue for different ones to be added/removed - if players agree, then it will be so.
- Certain categories have relevant restrictions on them, these can be changed/created/removed, but only prior to nominations opening.

- There will be 3 people counting votes and organising this. These people will not be able to be nominated, however they are able to vote.
- You may not nominate those who belong to the same land as yourself (this not only means hard-coded, but also those people considered part of certain lands). [url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/10995-md-awards-2011-24h-discussion/page__st__20#entry97297"]"[/url]This is an MD awards event, if a person deserves one of the awards, it is on the global level, not on local level, however capable the person is, which justifies the ban of the land nominations , possibly votes too[url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/10995-md-awards-2011-24h-discussion/page__st__20#entry97297"]"[/url].
- There will be a maximum of 5 players nominated for each category. Players are added/removed from the nominated by popular consensus. Organisers (and Mur) are allowed to add whoever they think appropriate to the lists prior to the nominations closing, if there are less than 5 names in the category at this point, we reserve the right to add appropriate names up to the total.
- Past winners will be allowed to be nominated again, however, if there are more than 5 names nominated when it closes, those will be the first removed.
- Mur cannot be nominated (sorry Mur), and Rendril cannot be nominated for Top Techy (or another award along the same lines).
- Previous Fossil (or a similar award if that does not exist this year) winners, cannot win again.
- You may only nominate one person per category. If you nominate multiple people, neither will be added.
- You may not nominate yourself, or another account you play.
- No editing posts in the nomination thread - purely because I'll potentially get confused.

- We will use the in game voting system.
- There's no restriction on voting for those of the same land.
- There will be no restriction on the amount of voters, there will however be a limited timeframe to vote in - this will be more than a day, but the length is undefined until a schedule is decided upon.
- You do not have to vote in each category (though it's preferable).
- If you vote for yourself in anything, all your votes will be discounted.
- If players that have voted are detected as alts of each other, all associated votes will be discounted. (If you have multiple accounts, you're fine, but only vote once per person please).
- Players under 20 AD will be unable to vote.
- [url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/11214-md-awards-2011-voting-now-up/#entry99432"]These[/url] [url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/8600-md-annual-awards-2010-voting-has-started/page__st__20#entry75910"]players [/url]and any accounts that are associated with them since, are ineligible to vote.

I can't think of any other particular details currently, please ask if you think I've missed anything (in addition to discussing various points). If you are against any aspect with how it's set to run, please raise it and suggest alternatives.

Edited by Grido

• Root Admin

[quote name='Grido' timestamp='1353687150' post='126129']
- The previous categories will be listed in [b]a thread[/b], and players can then argue for different ones to be added/removed - if players agree, then it will be so.
[/quote]

I trust this is being created soon?

I think there should be no restriction on nominations based upon land. But as dst guessed, I don't really care this year. I haven't witnessed enough activity to warrant awards across 15 categories. I'd rather that people personally gifted those who they think are deserving or influential than than a big sanctioned awards festival that exists just to continue a tradition.

• Root Admin

[quote name='Ivorak' timestamp='1353788318' post='126247']
I think there should be no restriction on nominations based upon land. But as dst guessed, I don't really care this year. I haven't witnessed enough activity to warrant awards across 15 categories. I'd rather that people personally gifted those who they think are deserving or influential than than a big sanctioned awards festival that exists just to continue a tradition.
[/quote]

agreed, i think there should be removal of a large amount of awards if there are only one or two participents. no point giving a reward just predeterminedly

[quote name='Grido' timestamp='1353687150' post='126129']
Information relating to how the awards will run as it currently stands;
- The previous categories will be listed in a thread, and players can then argue for different ones to be added/removed - if players agree, then it will be so.
- Certain categories have relevant restrictions on them, these can be changed/created/removed, but only prior to nominations opening.
- We will use the in game voting system.
[/quote]
[quote name='Chewett' timestamp='1353688103' post='126131']
I trust this is being created soon?
[/quote]
[quote name='Grido' timestamp='1353692204' post='126134']
Indeed, tomorrow or Sunday at the latest. I wanted to make sure there was time to discuss the way categories are done, prior to picking which ones players want this year.
[/quote]
there you go DD

Edited by Nimrodel

[quote name='Nimrodel' timestamp='1353839218' post='126300']
there you go DD
[/quote]

Thanks, but that's not exactly what I was asking for....

What Grido said is about the thread regarding the discussion of categories. But when will the nominating of players begin?

[quote name='Nimrodel' timestamp='1353847932' post='126328']
Look at the tagged threads below?

First comes category suggestion.

Next nominations

Next voting

then the actual ceremony

and then feedback.

So you'll know about the nominations thread after the category suggestion is decided on.
[/quote]

Ah, thanks again.

I will put up appropriate threads as the time comes round.

I have just put up the schedule of;
[b][u]Schedule[/u][/b]
Suggestions (This thread) will be open for 6 days, till 1st Dec, at which point;
Nominations will open on 2nd, will also last 6 days, ending 7th Dec, then;
Voting, starting 8th Dec, again for 7 days, ending 14th Dec;
Awards Ceremony will then take place on Monday 17th Dec (TBC)

If there are any comments regarding this, please state them here.

Seig, I moved your post here because this is the discussion thread, so naturally questions go here.

When you say win twice, you mean as in they won last year, so can't win this year?
If that is the case, then what you say is incorrect, there were comments previously how those that have won before should still be eligible however if more than 5 people are put forward for a category, they would likely be the first to be removed.

So award date looks set to be Sat 22nd. Time may vary from the 1800ST Dark suggested though (please discuss)

If someone could help with the following?

Best Beautification
For the person thought to be the most skilled at art in the realm. Generally speaking this refers to drawing/painting, rather than other forms of art.
For the player with the best presented papers. This is a purely objective vote, as every player finds different things nice looking. It also encompasses the player's backstory as presented in their papers. [[color=red]someone please "tidy" this description[/color]]

Most Popular
[color=#ff0000][Description Needed][/color]