'Official' events

Jubaris

It would be nice to see some events/quests made by the admins every once in a while, integrated in the game, where the prizes would be unique spells, items with certain powers, but "in character" rather than the out of character nature of forum quests (draw an image, take a photograph, grow a plant), something which could be labeled as side-branch stories of Adventure log.

There is no Role Play constant other than the one players create themselves, I think our realm shouldn't be that static.

Edited by Rhaegar Targaryen

[color=#808080][i]I'm working on a Roleplay Tourney. Sunfire and I had some ideas, consulted them with Nimrodel. They still need polishing before we can plan it properly tho.[/i][/color]
[color=#808080][i]Roleplay is bit complicated to judge, that's why I want it to be prepared well rather than rush and end with people arguing about the results.[/i][/color]
[color=#808080][i]It will be done. :)[/i][/color]

That's good to hear Shem, looking forward to it :)
But I was more speaking of something relating to the official story of the world. Something like that can only be done by the admins.

People already declared their desire for adventure log to continue numerous times, but the answer was that it is Mur's project, so the council can't continue it. We don't have to get that main story, but we can have some side-branch stories, not the important to be in the very Adventure Log, but still in relation with it.
Mur can create project-sketches, the council can just work on it, with the aid of certain people if required, I think it is very plausible, but is there the will?

Nobody in particular, I'm sure trustworthy people with a good feel for a story and knowledge about MD can be found - I have no idea who is in the council, maybe they have one of those in their ranks already, so no addition in staff for the event is required. That is a technicality though. My concern is are they willing to go into that direction.
Till now, they (Council) were mostly focused in stimulating players to do their own work, there was not much creation from themselves (please correct me if I'm wrong). I don't know what were Mur's instructions for Councilors, but Mur is reachable, so he can give a green light for admins to embrace this approach of event-making.

I think it would be a good encouragement for "MD-ing", and I don't think it contradicts MD's concept. It should be very worthwhile for admins to consider.

What are you talking about ?
There are at least 3 things I can see from your thoughts :
- you want Adventure Log continued: usual ppl were followed and commented with no real need of RP from their side
- you want events, periodical, something to look forward to INSIDE MD : :D i gave you an event
- quests made by the admins every once in a while, integrated in the game, where the prizes would be unique spells, items with certain powers : there are HC, BHC, and broken pattern puzzle and the NPCs and the contraption next to GoE.

Most repetitive quests would require some coding. If there are good enough in-game quests based on MDScript, maybe with some amendments, they can be promoted to "official" quests.
So, all you / we need is some good ideas and some good coders then ... we will see.

I care little if this goes half off topic.

Reality is...

Not many care for organizing things. Question is: What they, the people, gain from organizing events, quests or whatever? I might sound rude, but not many do something if they aren't rewarded.

Note: I can only speak of me because I know me, so it is not that I think I am the latest Cola on the world :P

I have organized several things without interest at all. I have used my things to reward sometimes. My thinking... If MD grows then I will be so satisfied that I did something to contribute to that. But, you know, not many think like me. Yes, you might say that I have received help from Mur, Chew, Council, etc. Yes, that's true, but I have gained their trust, with effort, with consistency, with honesty... I have caused them headaches, I have complained, yelled when i dislike things, etc that's what I would love to see in players, interest. Interest for what a world that let us have fun, sometimes sadness, etc.

MD is us. We the community have the power to change anything. We want quests, we want people involved, we want a bigger MD, lets contribute to this.

Yes I complain. I burn up council sometimes, of course I do!, but the difference between me and others who also love to complain is that I also contribute to the development of this game. With events, quest, help to newbs, and simple things that require just interest. So my call to all of you is to be part of that difference, to earn that trust, to earn the right of complaining, to be part of the solution, to contribute to the development of this game. Lets care for MD, lets contribute to this world. Our small things cause big changes.

Remember, admin, council, coders, etc are players like you and me. They accepted the challenge to contribute to MD, but now... Do YOU accept that challenge as well?

My recommendation to council, coders, and admins to find a way to promote that interest on players. Then, and only then, we will find great ideas for things that could be implemented into the game permanently and ofc we will cause big changes to the way MD evolve.

B

• Root Admin

[quote name='BFH' timestamp='1362697960' post='133590']
Not many care for organizing things. Question is: What they, the people, gain from organizing events, quests or whatever? I might sound rude, but not many do something if they aren't rewarded.
[/quote]

BFH and i have initiated discussions with two TK leaders and (i think we also pmed it to the most recent one) about rewarding quest makers, but none of them seemed bothered to take the time to plan something nicely and propose it to council.

Hmm, while I see the value in more "internal MD" stuff like guardds, or broken patterns, or such, I think in some ways that misses the spirit of what drew me here initially. (Note: the below is obviously biased, cause I [i]really[/i] like clickable scripts!)

The power of this realm is that We make it run smoothly, or not so smoothly.
Expanding Story Mode, or working with official repetitive Quests would be a short-term benefit for most players, as this new content would quickly be 'solved' and back to the same state we are in currently.

However, the fact that anybody can do almost anything, given time, luck, and skill, is the real draw of this game for me.

I like what you wrote BFH.

Ignoring the obvious historical issues with some 'events':
Want to make another GGG event? Grab some friends and start it.
Want to liven up Loreroot's people? Find a bit more Sludge and run with it.
Want to gather people in the Park for a time instead of GoE? Put hangman on the signpost.
Want to irritate people, or find some like-minded new allies? Deplete resources everywhere.

There's such a myriad of things to do, using the tools already provided, which are "official" because they happen.
Granted, not everything becomes popular, or persists. But things that do, do so because they fit best with the current state of MD.
We hold the power, really really.

Heck , when Molquert was added to give us an "[i]official Thing to use for ressurrection[/i]", what happened? He died.
Says something about our little realm, doesn't it. :cool:

Edited by Maebius

Maebius,

I must add a small remark to your comment: the event/quest category must be done on how it affects MD's progress and not if it "irritates" ppl or not.
Where "Month of Free lands" was irritating, it had a purpose, even if it doesn't matter, and a finality whereas GGG's purpose was "creating an [url="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/"]Idiocracy[/url]" (this movie could be an interesting debate in regards with MD's progress forecast).

So please, don't ever mention GGG as a good thing.
If you've seen the "Idiocracy", a pretty good comparison of the "GGG event" can be the < "Ass" movie > . (See some [url="http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/idiocracy/quotes/"]movie quotes[/url])

Now about this:
[quote name='Maebius' timestamp='1362734231' post='133626']
Hmm, while I see the value in more "internal MD" stuff like guardds, or broken patterns, or such, I think in some ways that misses the spirit of what drew me here initially. (Note: the below is obviously biased, cause I [i]really[/i] like clickable scripts!)
[/quote] - there is no complexity change , no repetitivity in those quests. (don't give me the BS about being able to do it for each MP lvl)

[quote name='Maebius' timestamp='1362734231' post='133626']
Expanding Story Mode, or working with official repetitive Quests would be a short-term benefit for most players, as this new content would quickly be 'solved' and back to the same state we are in currently.
[/quote] - what state are we in ? give me an example of a repetitive quest.

You cannot ? I will give you some examples with visible effect :
- the recipes - each and every one is a repetitive quest.
- harvesting

What I would like to see is something as simple as ... Soduku or Kakuro (which give clear levels of complexity) implemented in MD.

Edited by No one

@No one,

You didn't get my point.

[quote]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- you want Adventure Log continued: usual ppl were followed and commented with no real need of RP from their side[/font][/color]
[/quote]

There was a way for people to interfere though, but I am not talking about Adventure Log itself, I am talking about a side-branch story of lesser importance, but in relation with Adventure log, what should be 'the main active RP story' of the game. Those side-branch events would, in difference to Adventure Log, let players find their way into the highlight and give freedom of choice. Options can be many, but one of them could be a quest, where players would be encouraged to solve a puzzle journey to find an artifact, which the solver would receive as prize for finding it first.

But you would remove that OOC approach "let's play a quest!" we get for most of current quests, either made by admins, either made by players.
Things would simply happen, without an announcement "solve me", people would pick up clues and try to find out what is actually going on. It would be an in character sort of thing.
That also answers your two other thesis.

At the moment, we are missing an active 'main' story, for years now. I think it's an integral thing to be present in our beloved realm if we want to refresh the global desire to play MD, and maybe get some extra people.
I'm not trying to put pressure on anyone in charge to get something like this done as soon as possible, I just think it is a reasonable thing to be put on a "goals" list, and in one of the first places too. If we don't have the required energy and will to make a 'main' story of a sorts present and alive, then what are we playing? :) [u]We are maintain a game, we are not playing it[/u]. To clear it up, I don't have that approach, I still find MD much fun and I am sad I don't have enough extra time to invest more in it, but I am trying to make a point.

The point is not to make the game 'fixed', to go in a straight direction, no, of course the creation of players themselves and the way they act in realm should be the axiom of general game status (political, social, cultural, you name it), but, there should be something else present, that we currently lack.

I remember how I was impressed by the Adventure Log people, when I registered here, by reading the active chapters on the side bar, and then, all of a sudden meeting them in a regular scene. That is a huge factor to make a person like this game and keep on playing, or keep the old players playing with more wind in their back.

Edited by Rhaegar Targaryen

I believe it is mainly attributed to Renavoid. For a while he was writing it and it went slightly off-kilter (spaceships etc), not sure if Mur trusts anyone other than himself to do it properly now.

[color=#008080][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Mur was hoping for 365 days of events. Those who have set things up are making great efforts. There's still -plenty- of days available. Like people here love to say...make your own action![/font][/color]

I still don't understand why quests cannot be made for automatic setup ?
Don't we already have the achievements ?

All what is needed is to add rewards attractive enough and small enough to attract ppl and not to give great advantages. Just some incentives for the non RP ppl's time.

While player-run/scripted quests and events* and built-in (Loreroot guards, Broken Pattern) puzzles are enjoyable and rewarding, they lack the sense of unification present in the time of the Adventure Log.

This collective sense of purpose has been important to the coherence of the realm, and I feel MD is missing some part of its core without it. When the Log last splintered it was in no small part because people had come to view it as less of a realm-wide storyline and more as a tale of a few select players.

Without this overall direction, MD is and will remain a scattered series of pleasurable episodes.

* [size=2]Day of Fear, the Month of Free Lands, Maebius’ monthly quests, Eye of the Beholder, holiday quests, even the Dominion Journey; indeed[/size], every quest that has run in the past couple years.

I guess adding Achivments on the like "kill 200 creatures" would hurt the feeling of md and would also crash the already crippled server. I agree the "official" quests could go furder then the guards. But as to what it's up do the devs and council. We can judgest like: "add more blocker creatures like the one on crossing of the roads and give a small reward when they are all dead"