With regards to a God or few

Mallos

Religion and you  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Which do you align with? I've been meaning to ask this for a while, never seemed appropriate until now with the new ungod rename. I'd prefer any arguments to void themselves from this topic and we can hopefully stick to statements or none at all. Refrain from  commenting unless you feel the need, this is mainly a poll.

(Poll choices taken from Wikipedia)

Chose Buddhism, but I do not fit neatly under that category.

I do not follow a god or goddess but I also could be clumped under Wiccian or counted as a Green Witch... since I grew up with some of that and currently looking to restart my path on that.

Also grew up with Christianity and some Jewish back ground. I was Christian for a bit but that was mainly because of family and tradition.

So now I follow a Buddhist-Wiccian combination. Another words, I am just me regardless of what label I put down.

Why wouldn't I be able to believe in all of them? I was taught that all of them preach same thing :P

Some teach that there is only one God, others many Gods, that would be one (of many) reason...

The named major religions (I believe) all started in the same regional area, and as a result hold many of the same tenants. They hold the same goal but pursue different paths to achieving that, often believing that pursuing the other paths will not allow you to reach the goal.

Also some might consider such a statement to be offensive, I personally find it uneducated.

----

fyi, source material for the religious group % is from; http://www.pewforum.org/2012/12/18/global-religious-landscape-exec/ the wiki page actually lists the Islam proportion (mildly) incorrectly (up by 0.2%, should be 23.2%). Data is also from 2010 (so 5 years out of date).

This forum poll misses out Folk Religionists which make up 5.9% (African traditional religions, Chinese folk religions, Native American religions and Australian aboriginal religions), not sure why Mallos?

Other religions represents; Baha’i faith, Jainism, Sikhism, Shintoism, Taoism, Tenrikyo, Wicca and Zoroastrianism, to mention just a few.

The religiously unaffiliated include atheists, agnostics and people who do not identify with any particular religion in surveys. However, many of the religiously unaffiliated have some religious beliefs.

(yes I geeked out a tad)

Uneducated? Maybe. I prefer to call it different point of view. I find it somewhat offensive that my rejection of such limitations you find uneducated.

I think that those limitations you mentioned is a product of religious groups trying to shut down other ones for X reasons rather than order from deity itself.

For me all those religions are different manifestations of same thing. All paths lead to "Rome".

There is a difference between believing in all religions, and following the precepts of them. My mention of finding the statement uneducated is that you are saying you believe in all of them which is not possible, and also why some may find it offensive. You cannot for instance believe there is only one true God as well as believing there are several/many Gods, these are very much countering factors of some of the religions.

It's more that each path is signposted to Rome, and everyone that goes down each is convinced their path is the correct one, and that the others are badly posted. Equally you have your own path, which you also believe takes you to Rome.

What is 'Unaffiliated?' Non-religious or--?

Unaffiliated I think is the general Atheist/Agnostic/"I don't have a religion" type of people.

"This forum poll misses out Folk Religionists which make up 5.9% (African traditional religions, Chinese folk religions, Native American religions and Australian aboriginal religions), not sure why Mallos?"

It's because I seemed to not have enough poll choices to list all the options, so I picked between that and Judaism (considering it's its own thing and lumping folk religions with another option didn't seem great either, perhaps for this poll it's considerable in "other religions").

Edited by Mallos

• 10 months later...