MD Oragami Contest

Many of you know that Fyrd began his studies in the Realm at Marind's Bell, due to his affinity with that land, and only moved to the MDA to pursue his advanced studies.  Fewer of you know that he did not excel among the dusty books in the archives, prefering to tell stories, make music, and sample his most recent fermentation products.  He owns one boring book he keeps falling asleep with, and several other tomes he has not even started.  What attracted him to the MDA, and keeps him there you ask?  There is a rumor, which he will not deny, that it is the enticing thought of what could be done with SO MUCH PAPER!  You see, Fyrd is an aficionado of the art of Origami.

Fyrd thinks he can make a winderwild, a knator, a tormented soul, a morph, a high priest's hat, a balloon, and a portal big enough for any MD character to walk through - much much bigger than the starting paper.  But he probably needs refreshers on even those, as his memory is not what it used to be.

Let's give Fyrd some help.  Every set of instructions for making something out of paper that could have come from the MD realm, complete with photographic proof including the MD trademark, earns a silver coin.  Everyone posting that they followed those instructions, with proof, earns themselves a silver coin, and another one for the originator.  You must start with a single square piece of paper, scissors, and coloring devices, and no other materials.

Contest runs out when Fyrd runs out of silver coins (he currently has 56) or the contest is called off for lack of interest or any other issue.  Also reserved is the right to limit the number of follows of a particular set of instructions, and disqualify multiple instructions for the same thing.

Have fun, and post your Origami here.

Edited by Fyrd Argentus

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Okay, a wishpoint to at least the first to give instructions and photo here for an oragami MD creature and then gets one other player to post a photo of a creature made following those direction.  MD in the photo of course, no alts, etc.

• 7 months later...

my origami of an ele egg, give me the wishpoint please

IMG_20220524_161821[1].jpg

how to do:
take square piece of paper, crumble it into a ball, shape the ball as close as you can into an ele egg, meaning you have one side of the ball crumbled but with surface (as seen on image), you're done

Edited by MaGoHi

10 minutes ago, MaGoHi said:

needs no explaining at all

a) you have to convince a jury of your peers that this is definitely a particular MD creature.  It looks like it could be any of several to me.

b) This is only step one.

Let me clarify my concerns:

1) The rules clearly state that you must post directions for making your creature, and that somebody else must follow those directions and post the results.

2) The question of identity really comes when the person follows your directions and makes something that must clearly be the creature that you specified.  If their result can equally be an egg of 3 different types, a morph, a shmsh darkling, or something else, then that's a fail.

Edited by Fyrd Argentus

27 minutes ago, Ledah said:

That is a pretty cool elemental egg! Will you be doing any of the other creature eggs next?

i am strongly considering it, seeing how quick you recognised it i think i might have a talent for this oregano thing

Just now, Ledah said:

You know, I am inspired. After following your clear and concise directions, I made my own elemental egg! However, in honour of Aia, I decided to make it a coloured elemental.

eleeee.jpg

OUTSTANDING! I did not believe ANYONE could copy it, i should have know better, Ledah is my main man bruh after all!
and to even color it so beautifully! i am truly amazed by your skills to follow my instructions, love it 10/10

Okay, mock, mock, mock.  (Nicely played)  MaGoHi is approaching wp status.....

So, points for the inspiration, and points for getting together a political movement of support.  And you have 2 followers....

However, "needs no explanation" is not "clear and concise" directions from MaGoHi, despite what Ledah chimed in.

The last piece of the challenge, MaGoHi, is actually posting some sort of directions, beyond starting with a square piece of paper.

IN THE FUTURE: A second wp is also on the table for the next person to complete the challenge but without using "crumple" or any other non-traditional origami operation.

24 minutes ago, Fyrd Argentus said:

Okay, mock, mock, mock.  (Nicely played)  MaGoHi is approaching wp status.....

So, points for the inspiration, and points for getting together a political movement of support.  And you have 2 followers....

However, "needs no explanation" is not "clear and concise" directions from MaGoHi, despite what Ledah chimed in.

The last piece of the challenge, MaGoHi, is actually posting some sort of directions, beyond starting with a square piece of paper.

IN THE FUTURE: A second wp is also on the table for the next person to complete the challenge but without using "crumple" or any other non-traditional origami operation.

very well i shall edit the step into the original post

EDIT: edited the original post with instructions

Edited by MaGoHi
i edited the original post

p.p.s. It has come to my attention there was some grousing about this award.  MaGoHi had an inspired genius of an idea, eventually met all the requirements of the challenge, got political support for his idea from other players, and provided some serious entertainment on an otherwise dead day in the realm.  If that's not worth a wishpoint, I don't know what is.  I could hardly deny him a wp since he met the rules - THAT would be favoritism.  If you don't like the attitude his RPing portrays that's between you and him.

Okay, this isn't my submission, but super happy with how it turned out as a beginner to Origami in general. Her beak is a bit messed up, but she found a shiny ring and so at least has that going for her.

Probably going to be a while before anything submission worthy, going to take a while to figure out how to progress from following tutorials to actually designing my own Winderwild! But it's a start.

Origami.jpg