GWI Project Planning

{UPDATE:  This IS now a sanctioned project.}  This is a more detailed fleshing out of the PROPOSED project laid out in Game Development. 

This is placed in the Legend Speakers section of the forum, so that I have Moderator abilities to move and reformat things as the concepts evolve, and possibly some of the work gets done.  New ideas that are not really directed towards the goals stated in the proposal should go in the New Ideas portion of the Game Development forum.  https://magicduel.invisionzone.com/forum/8-new-ideas/  Your comments here may be moved around and assimilated if I see how they enhance the grand design.  

Edited by Fyrd Argentus
{UPDATE:  This IS now a sanctioned project.}

TO DO LIST, phases 1 & 2

Current Request: If you want people to get {more of} a "role-play" mindset about the game from beginning:
Add leading questions to the start-up panels to get new players thinking more about the character they wish to play.

DONE If you want to have helpers respond immediately to a new player:
Have arrival of a new player trigger Storm weather and put out a red system-wide message that "[Player-Name] has washed ashore on the beach of Gateway Island."
{Let's leave to last so my TestPilotX alts don't annoy people.}

DONE Current Request (Chewett & now Mur): If you want people to enjoy the riddles (and get enough reality shards):
Fix or block the riddles that are broken

DONE If you want things to look professional:
Upon return to the beach, do NOT show the error message that 'you don't have access to this clickie' (related to the vanished rider figure).

DONE! If you want things to look professional:
Upon return to the arena after beating all opponents, do NOT show the Bacon Knight avatar (and accompanying error message that you don't have access to that clickie).  [Note: on first entry the the arena, the knight is painted in before the backdrop.  On subsequent entry, the backdrop is painted first.  This correlates with the error message etc. and may help debug this issue.]

NEEDED: If you want the realm to look cool in all details:
Upload images for the non-illustrated tools.  The only usable item without an image is the "Axe".  Note that all other tools were replaced with "Old Whatever" versions with images, but not the axe.  As of 2022/01/12 it is still giving out (plain) "Axe" which has no image.

NOT NEEDED: If you want to avoid resource soft-lock:
Have the tools re-appear in their starting positions when used up.  Reduce the number of uses in half.

DONE {Instead, put a hint about rare resources like crystal on the tools sign.}

DONE If you want a richer, story-based tutorial:
Change the "A Curious Box" to explain about the scattered shards of the player's existence, the mission to reform their character's self image, and introduces the first companion spirit (that will animate a creature of your choice).  It also activates 15 new one-time clickables (to give total number as starting slots) which we must add.  Have them glow orange until activated and give a sparkly bit of magic and a sound when activated (then disappear).  These are seashells, bird nests, bottles on the beach, etc.  Write a tutorial with each that a companion spirit (new creature slot) brings also AP's, VE's, a stat or a power-up to help reintegrate the person - and explains a bit of what that thing means.  It's probably not worth the effort to actually link stats etc. with the finding of these things, but it would be nice polish -- let's leave it symbolic for now.

NOPE, STILL NEED: If you want things to look professional:
Make sure the "free RP item" post is not giving error messages, ever.

Debatable if needed: If you want to avoid total frustration in OCD types:
Either remove resources that can't be accessed (like Mineral Water, Skull, Memory Stones) or give tools to collect them.
{Somehow, Fyrd had mineral water.  Was if from before, given when summoned back, or did he stumble unknowing on a way to get some on GWI?  paper making with regular water is a.... lesson in patience.}

DONE If you want action point usage to make sense:
Get rid of the indicators that say the bark press and paper machine have AP costs - they do not. 

GOOD ARGUMENT AGAINST MADE: Also, disable the barrel clickie in the cave that currently glows orange on mouse over (and gives AP costs), but does nothing -- or else make it do something. {Well, if there are no other plans, make it one of the 16 tutorial clickies.  Duh.}

Edited by Fyrd Argentus
This is a working To-Do List, current status updates

The "A Curious Box" Clickie should read as follows:
====================================

The crate has broken open and the contents scattered by the sea.  A waterproof envelope is attached to the top, with a note in it which reads:

"Dear [Player-name],
Enclosed please find the crystallized shards of the mental components you will need for your self-image reintegration.
Please take them to the clerk at the Magic Duel Archives on the mainland to complete the process.
Do collect as many reality shards and valuable resources as you can along the way.
We do hope you will be feeling better.  Best of luck..."

The rest of the note has been smudged.

Looking deeper into the crate you see one small vial.  You recover it and the stopper pops out.  There is a fleeting wisp of vapor and you hear a voice whispering in your ear:

"I am a spirit sent to help you reintegrate.  I can animate any mental construct you might need as you progress.  In addition I imbue in you your first 'Vital Energy', so that you may live and grow.  This will be used by you and restored again when you rest, and its top increases each day.  Fear not, you cannot be harmed beyond recovery in this place - you are safe.  I cannot help you find the other spirits, but we were 16 to begin, and I expect you will need us all."

You wonder what has happened, and why you have no memory of the events leading to this bleached-out place.  Did you suffer a mental breakdown?  Or are you an unfinished artificial intelligence?  Did you perish in the storm, and this is an afterlife?  Or did you escape the storm by sliding into another dimension?  Or were you kidnapped by fairies, or sent here by a witch's curse?  Where did that unnatural storm come from?  You have no way to tell, as your memory is a blur.

======================================

The remaining 15 clickies now become active (seashells, bird nests, bottles, gems, rocks, bushes, etc. mostly on the 2 scenes with a water's edge, but some inland)  It would be nice if they glowed orange, then dissappeared when opened.  Each follows the same pattern, and ideally should give the same sequence regardless of the order the clickies are hit (index via a global variable).  You could have all the clickies physically present from the start, if it is easier, and just have them do nothing (& not glow if that's happening) if the index is still 0.  Activating the clickies should make as much bling happen as possible - at least the resonator sound.

There is no real reason to link these events with the actual granting of creature slots, stats, etc.  If esthetically necessary, tag a line on the exits saying 'your 16 spirit helpers are all now with you'. 

=====================================

Each begins "I am a spirit sent to help you reintegrate.  I can animate any mental construct you might need as you progress.  In addition..."

2 "... I bring you the power of action.  These 'Action Points' will be used and restored again when you rest, and increase each day."

3 "... I bring you the ability to 'Defend' yourself from the mental assault of other minds.  As long as you retain the mantle of protection from this place, and do not mingle your affairs with others, your mental defenses will be particularly strong."

4 "... I bring you the ability to 'Regenerate' immediately after any mental assault.  There will always be some impact on you, and you can always heal slowly over time.  This effect is right away."

5 "... I bring you protection from environmental dangers and weather.  As long as you retain the mantle of protection from this place, and do not mingle your affairs with others, your 'Energetic Immunity' will be strong.  Also, I bring you Luck, which is a blessing in many ways."

6 "... I bring you the ability to project your mind to impact others as you grow.  'Attack' and 'Power' refer to your ability to project physically and mentally.  Initiative refers to your speed.  Be careful how you use these abilities, as those you meet are on a path like your own."

7 "... I bring you two 'Erolin Devices' to help control your emotions.  When you get excited, and your system fills with adrenaline, we call this 'heat'.  It magnifies the effect of everything you do.  'Briskness' measures how quickly you build up heat when you move or fight.  Erolin devices will help you capture and save, or store, this heat, or emotional energy, until a later time when it will do you some good, at an important event."

8 "... I bring you the ability to learn more things, such as Trade Sense, and many crafty skills.  The local currency is silver and gold, but there other things such as Honor, Loyalty, and Winertia which you will need to manage to fit into society and conduct commerce."

9-16 "... I bring you more energy reserves, a 'Power-Up', to use if needed as you grow stronger."

Edited by Fyrd Argentus

WELCOME SCREEN 1 ADDITIONS

{At the end.}

What sort of person have you always dreamed of being?  What would you be if you were not subject to earthly constraints?  Free of your personal history, who would you become?

Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 8.19.07 AM.png

Edited by Fyrd Argentus

WELCOME SCREEN 2 ADDITIONS

{At end}

And you, as a player will have the opportunity to add to the realm.  If you lean towards culture, you can write stories and songs to enrich the tapestry of legend.  Or, if you lean towards action, you can let your deeds and battles speak for themselves.  You can create new magics, and develop new lands.  The MagicDuel Realm is a canvas waiting for your brush.

Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 8.19.28 AM.png

Edited by Fyrd Argentus

WELCOME SCREEN 3 ADDITIONS

{between paragraph 2 and 3}

Some players relish the role-play, and delight in developing their character.  Others prefer combat, and developing their martial prowess.   Some like to gather resources to craft things.  Others prefer exploring the lands and puzzles, and building up Quests of their own.  And of course, you can do all of these things at once!

Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 8.19.42 AM.png

Edited by Fyrd Argentus

WELCOME SCREEN 4 ADDITIONS

{At end}

But this begs the question - what sort of Being are YOU?  Besides details like gender and race, are you even human?  A mammal?  Are you perhaps a chimera - a creature of mixed species?  Or are you a creature straight out of legend?  It is for you to decide, as you create your own character, and live it.

Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 8.19.52 AM.png

Edited by Fyrd Argentus

WELCOME SCREEN 5 ADDITIONS

There is also much to learn about the MagicDuel Realm, beyond the surface.  Each new creature to tame adds tactical twists to combat.  Each new magic spell you learn gives you powers you never imagined.  Every system governing how the realm operates has secret laws that affect how they work, and you will have the opportunity to learn about and master them all!

Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 8.20.02 AM.png

Edited by Fyrd Argentus

WELCOME SCREEN 6 ADDITIONS

{Between paragraph 2 and 3.}

Yes, you can collect trophies, tools, weapons and armor, treasures, or nick-nacks.  You can build and train your fighting team to awesomeness.  You can build up your personal abilities to heroic proportions.  But in the end, the value of the relationships you build will grow beyond price.

Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 8.20.11 AM.png

Edited by Fyrd Argentus

On 6/16/2021 at 1:22 AM, Fyrd Argentus said:

If you want people to get a "role-play" mindset about the game from beginning

That's an issue, as I don't know if that is what is desired. MD also has a strong 'solo' experience due to the many things to explore, puzzles, strategic play etc Obviously, it's an online game, but you must decide whether to make interactions between players predominantly roleplay, or strategic/combat play etc. Right now, MD is offering a little of everything, staying outside definition

to get new players thinking more about the character they wish to play

this implies there are some archetypes they could play, no? this asks for guidelines of sorts. Or, if you want the characters to be reflecting one's inner world (and stay outside 'frames') in an unique way, you need to offer them proper vessels/tools to light up their flame. I think what happened in MD was that all characters were simply players' reactions to other players, which showcased their own true character (hence 'the mirror') and roles such as priestess, pirate etc were just the superficial level. What i'm saying is that characters in MD were 'built' in the presence of the other players

If you want to have helpers respond immediately to a new player:
Have arrival of a new player trigger Storm weather and put out a red system-wide message that "[Player-Name] has washed ashore on the beach of Gateway Island."

that's a great idea

Upon return to the beach, do NOT show the error message that 'you don't have access to this clickie' (related to the vanished rider figure).

that's got some history behind it and it's not so much a bug as a something to operate on

If you want to avoid resource soft-lock:
Have the tools re-appear in their starting positions when used up

rather, you could have those special tools have a higher chance of obtaining the needed resource

If you want a richer, story-based tutorial:
Change the "A Curious Box" to explain about the scattered shards of the player's existence

the reality shards are not fully explained/introduced, they'd need something like the fenths research texts, imo. There might be a question sign inside a new player's head, but they might also think the answer is somewhere else

Either remove resources that can't be accessed (like Mineral Water, Skull, Memory Stones) or give tools to collect them.

i disagree here (in MD, this is both a strategy and a principle)

it's annoying, though, right? :) 

4 minutes ago, Ungod said:

That's an issue, as I don't know if that is what is desired. MD also has a strong 'solo' experience due to the many things to explore, puzzles, strategic play etc Obviously, it's an online game, but you must decide whether to make interactions between players predominantly roleplay, or strategic/combat play etc. Right now, MD is offering a little of everything, staying outside definition

I think people already understand and expect "combat" -- they need to be introduced to the free-form role-play elements.

The alert box has a size limit, so the "A Curious Box", which now sets storm and a global alert message, does not release one of the spirits.  All it says is the first half of what was proposed earlier:

The crate has broken open and the contents scattered by the sea.  A waterproof envelope is attached to the top, with a note in it which reads: Dear [smudged], Enclosed please find the crystallized shards of the mental components you will need for your self-image reintegration. Please take them to the clerk at the Magic Duel Archives on the mainland to complete the process. Do collect as many reality shards and valuable resources as you can along the way. We do hope you will be feeling better.  Best of luck... The rest of the note has been smudged.

So, there will need to be 16 clickies, no longer to include the box, to (allegedly) dispense the 16 spirits/creature slots, and put out the tutorials on stats.

At this point, things needed from Admins are - amend the 6 game-start boxes, and fix the riddles.  And the error messages on the RP item obelisks.

Others may be able to handle the false AP tags on machines, and upload tool images.

Edited by Fyrd Argentus

• Root Admin

1) Fix the bugs, soft locks, and polish the rough edges.
2) Create a more engaging initial experience, with better tutorial function to create an understanding/appreciation for the game

You stated that the GWI project is finished, Do you believe these objectives are now?

>here is little risk in this path, because a) there’s not much I could do to screw it up permanently, and b) change can and will continue, as long as we persist.

Lots can be buggered up and it can be permanent. As a warning.

Does anybody make the balloon work?  I’ve not managed it yet.

I have seen a few people do it... @Azull is it known to be broken?

I wonder if @Demonic God @Else @Ledah @MaGoHi @Sunfire could get it working, I wonder who could get it first ????

>Get rid of the indicators that say the bark press and paper machine have AP costs - they do not. 

Are you suggesting removing the AP cost or making it take the AP?

>The "A Curious Box" Clickie should read as follows:

Is this asking it to be changed. I'm not clear on the request.

>There is no real reason to link these events with the actual granting of creature slots, stats, etc.  If esthetically necessary, tag a line on the exits saying 'your 16 spirit helpers are all now with you'. 

Has that line been added now, or are you happy with it?

>At this point, things needed from Admins are - amend the 6 game-start boxes, and fix the riddles.  And the error messages on the RP item obelisks.

This is the only changes needed?

> please find the crystallized shards of the mental components you will need for your self-image reintegration. Please take them to the clerk at the Magic Duel Archives on the mainland to complete the proces

I saw this in the intro, how do I give the shards to the clerk?

I didn't say GWI was finished, I said I hadn't the ability to go any further by myself.  Still need tool images, riddles fix, 6 opening scenes addendums, anything else we decide is buggy like maybe the RP obelisk, and the hover texts.

Warning taken, but what I've done is erasable by wiping my 17 clickies, and that one sentence on the sign.

TestPilotA got the balloon to work.  TestPilotB is hanging around hoping to learn to navigate it with assistance across the bay.  My partner on this disappeared. :(

There is currently no AP cost to operate clickies that do not relocate you, it seems.  The hover text only activates if you lie and say there is an AP cost, and it shows all the land loyalty info and viscosity.  This is a bug.  What I want is hover text without AP formula when there is no AP cost.  If a clickie really does need AP, then the bug or hack or whatever is preventing that - the AP cost is not actually taken, or so it seems.

Mur agreed "A curious box" was no longer needed (newbies can't choose names with numbers in them anymore), so it was replaced by my wet cardboard box clickie.

Changes needed before discussion of pushing for a grand opening are listed on line 1 above.  Plus, some culture changes about how everyone should react to the "doorbell" functions, which are now triggered by the cardboard box clickie.  We need people thinking about helping welcome & assimilate newbies.

"Reassembling mental shards at MDA" I'm equating to getting your papers and filling them out, as an act of forming up your RPC/self image.  I hadn't thought about the mis-match in language there.  Need to consider if this is serious and worth changing a word or two on this, on GWI or MDA.