Chat emotions

jakubhi

I believe it would be nice to have a few phrases in the chat, which we could use to better/more efficiently describe our emotions/opinions. 

Here is my list of proposed keywords which should trigger the phrase, along with the phrase itself. Instead of the PLAYER, imagine the name of the one using the phrase. 

As a side note, it may be a nice idea to use some other special symbol to surround them, other than the '*', so the trigger words are still usable in simple asterix descriptions. Maybe use double asterix for this? **nod**

nod - PLAYER nods in agreement.
greet - PLAYER greets everyone around.
shrug - PLAYER shrugs helplessly. 
yawn - PLAYER yawns loudly, looking tired. 
hey - PLAYER tries to catch everyones attention. 
sigh - PLAYER sighs silently.
hum - PLAYER hums a happy tune. 
sky - PLAYER observes the sky. 
sit - PLAYER sits down. 
listen - PLAYER listens intently with a focused expression.
idle - PLAYER stops paying attention to the surrounding, going idle.
headache - PLAYER gets a massive headache.
sleep - PLAYER lays down, eyes closed, quickly falling asleep. 
sorry - PLAYER sincerely apologises.
point - PLAYER points at something in the distance.
follow - PLAYER beckons others to follow. 
laugh - PLAYER laughs happily.
innocent - PLAYER smiles innocently.
silver - PLAYER throws a single silver coin high up into the air, then deftly catches it. 

There are also a few phrases which I am not sure if to use. Since I do not know the gender of the player, I went with they. 

stretch - PLAYER raises hands above their head in a mighty stretch.
shake - PLAYER shakes their head.
roll - PLAYER rolls their eyes.
tilt - PLAYER tilts their head to the side.
flex - PLAYER shows of their mighty muscles. 

I would be happy for any feedback:) (and thankful if anyone who is able to implement this does so. Still, it's only an idea. )

I actually find this a great idea considering we have the command to use, to read a players mood. I believe it was done with AI that Mur recently implemented with the chat command. (Might be wrong how it was implemented but I remember Mur saying it was part of the AI in MD)

The ( /mood PLAYER ) command. 

A player roleplaying with your suggestion here I feel could have a better impact on the mood command and give it a better accuracy than it currently has, as the mood command seems to really just give a summary of what the player has been saying in chat. 

• Root Admin
On 6/30/2023 at 8:24 PM, Fyrd Argentus said:

Currently, this can be accomplished with a tab in your notebook papers, and cut-and-paste..... I use that for stock phrases on GWI.

I asked Jak to make this topic thanks Fyrd.

On 6/30/2023 at 7:08 PM, jakubhi said:

As a side note, it may be a nice idea to use some other special symbol to surround them, other than the '*', so the trigger words are still usable in simple asterix descriptions. Maybe use double asterix for this? **nod**

Once people decide/agree on what they think it should be I can add it :)

3 hours ago, Chewett said:

Once people decide/agree on what they think it should be I can add it

Hmmm, how about this. Anyone who has some opinion on this can drop their vote on this thread and I will track it in this post. I will start with the first vote, for double asterix before and after the trigger word (**nod**)

double asterix - 1 vote (jakubhi)

a single character before the trigger word - 1 vote (Ailith)

*** before and after - 1 vote (Chew) ??

(unknow vote from Mag, not sure if he is pointing out my typo or voting for asterisks in general)

--Although.. I do not think there will be many votes.-- There are already more replies than I expected, pleasant surprise:D

Well, if anyone has some comments about this, I hope they can share their opinion here. 

Edited by jakubhi

I love this idea, it's always good to give people choices based on how they want to play.

Single asterisk for more creative / descriptive roleplay, stock emoting for those more on the go or both for the more daring.

For practicality, I'm not sure about double asterisk for two reasons:
1) it's too close to single asterisk function so typos may cause unnecessary results.

2) This function, and I say this with the greatest of respect, is really for people who want a quick result for minimal effort. I would suggest a single symbol to cater for that: for example ? (ie ?nod)

Please note I am suggesting the single symbol, whatever it may be, just used ? as an example.

Thank you for reading,

Ailith.

Edited by Ailith
Sleepy old lady spelt asterisk wrong!

• 5 months later...
  • Root Admin
On 7/2/2023 at 6:52 PM, Chewett said:

A number of special actions already use *** so maybe we just add to them?

no. because those are way to visually agressive. I was planning to change those for what they fir best, like contest managemnt, and announcements and such

however, i used the same structure for these mood ones

• Root Admin

and its done!

syntax is double asterix in front of the trigger word: **silver

the output contains asterix in front and at the end (*message*), to be similar to how you would write your own mood texts, hopefully this will be a hint

there is also the option to add a word or more after the trigger word, and for some moods this will direct the text towards that target, for example **greet nobody 

@jakubhi very nice ideea btw!