Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MagicDuel Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

High value auctions should extend time remaining to at minimum a day to allow further bids

Featured Replies

  • Root Admin

We have had a few high value actions where people jump in last minute bidding a single extra coin in the hopes someone won't be awake. Here is an example:

image.png

Not only is this highly disrespectful it's unfair for those not able to be awake when they finish, and means you end up with the auction going for a lower potential price.

My suggestion for anything selling for more than 50 gold, the auction is extended so that it lasts for at least another day (if the remaining time is less than a day).

This will be fairer for all timezones, and allows things to reach a natural value.

  • Root Admin

how about:
1) you should only be allowed to bid a certain percentage over the current winning bid, lets say 5%, so if winning bid is 100, you can big minimum 105
2) an end round, when time ends top 2 participants, or 3?, are allowed a day for placing a blind bid

idk if this is fair or works, but somehow i want to eliminate the last second race. I dont like that race.

Alternatively:
3) have a fuzzy end time, so the exact end time is not publicly known, bidders should bid what they truly want to spend, not 1 point over the previous.

probably these defy the idea of auction, idk, you tell me..

  • Author
  • Root Admin
Just now, Muratus del Mur said:

idk if this is fair or works, but somehow i want to eliminate the last second race. I dont like that race.

Most auctions work by you paying the second highest bid.

so I bid 100 and ledah bids 120 then ledah wins and pays 100

I mean no disrespect with what I'm about to say, so please don't take it the wrong way.

The way the auction functions as is, seems correct to me. I don't see why slowly extending the coin bid to try and "outlast" the other person, can't be a valid strategy.

On the one hand, you have person A. They can always raise by any amount they want. If the other person keeps doing single silver, go in large amounts. The bidding ends sooner, you get your convenience for an extra fee so to speak.

On the other hand, person B can choose the "endurance" strategy, use the global time difference to their advantage, and while an easy win via catching someone asleep is always nice, knowing that you can outlast them coin by single coin seems a reasonable approach to me.

Both people have complete power over themselves. It seems a game of wits to me. You can spend more and ensure a quicker end, IF you can find their coin ceiling.

Or you can try and outlast them, making them either play your endurance game, or pay more to have it be done with. It seems like a normal auction to me. I don't think any changes need to be made, as both sides have valid strategies for offensive plays.

Edited by Fang Archbane

  • Author
  • Root Admin
6 minutes ago, Fang Archbane said:

I mean no disrespect with what I'm about to say, so please don't take it the wrong way.

The way the auction functions as is, seems correct to me. I don't see why slowly extending the coin bid to try and "outlast" the other person, can't be a valid strategy.

Let me put it this way.

Should you lose an auction you really want, becuase it ends when you are asleep?

@Ledah lost out becuase he went to bed. I would have lost out to blackshade if I went to bed.

I don't see that as fair, you end up biasing people based on location. Maybe that's just MagicDuel

Anyway, buy my creature ;)

image.png

  • Root Admin
2 minutes ago, Chewett said:

Let me put it this way.

Should you lose an auction you really want, becuase it ends when you are asleep?

@Ledah lost out becuase he went to bed. I would have lost out to blackshade if I went to bed.

I don't see that as fair, you end up biasing people based on location. Maybe that's just MagicDuel

Anyway, buy my creature ;)

image.png

if thats your only concern , yes you should.

My concern is that you can lose an auction to one silver placed over a 300 gold bid , that you can place in last escond, thats what i call unfair. If you dont show up to big, because its too late, too early, you are eating, your child cries, etc, thats completely different thing, at least thats how i see it.

Ebay does the max bid and autobids up to that amount, but thats also something that in practice ends up in you deciding you still want to bid more and you stay up all night to catch that moment when you are notified someone else bid more... it happend to me too many times.
If there is something i want to fix with bidding system, that is that 1 silver in last second issue. i consider it totally unfair because you can't do anything about it, unlike the hour issue, where you can stay up if you truly want it.

4 minutes ago, Chewett said:

Let me put it this way.

Should you lose an auction you really want, becuase it ends when you are asleep?

@Ledah lost out becuase he went to bed. I would have lost out to blackshade if I went to bed.

I don't see that as fair, you end up biasing people based on location. Maybe that's just MagicDuel

Anyway, buy my creature ;)

image.png

Hrm... I agree that the bit about losing an auction just because you're asleep does seem unfair, to a degree. But I can't think of a solution that would make it fair to all time zones. Global resource reset is also static. It feels unfair to those sleeping, because the people that are awake can farm before anyone else. But it's been that way for over a decade+. I agree that the timing needs a fix. Maybe a middle ground between the two biggest time zone differences? Where both are halfway awake and halfway asleep?

Just be aware that this would be a well intended measure for a slippery slope. What will stop us from adjusting the daily Regen time? I want things to be fair for everyone. Maybe we can come to a group agreement?

Murs point is also quite valid. The minimum coin raise should most likely be adjusted to minimize how easily the endurance strategy is achieved. As long as it remains an option, and both sides can take countermeasures, I think that's close enough to fair.

Edited by Fang Archbane

I totally agree with Chewett's suggestion. I'm used to seeing things move slow in MD time. I think that immediacy is very not MD-like.

That said, I think bidding within the last moments (even if a single silver over the current bid) extends the timer by 5 minutes, or am I wrong? So if we're going by the "if you really want it, stay up" path, that shouldn't be a problem?

4 minutes ago, Muratus del Mur said:

if thats your only concern , yes you should.

My concern is that you can lose an auction to one silver placed over a 300 gold bid , that you can place in last escond, thats what i call unfair. If you dont show up to big, because its too late, too early, you are eating, your child cries, etc, thats completely different thing, at least thats how i see it.

Ebay does the max bid and autobids up to that amount, but thats also something that in practice ends up in you deciding you still want to bid more and you stay up all night to catch that moment when you are notified someone else bid more... it happend to me too many times.
If there is something i want to fix with bidding system, that is that 1 silver in last second issue. i consider it totally unfair because you can't do anything about it, unlike the hour issue, where you can stay up if you truly want it.

I agree

Id also maybe suggest a silent bid/blind bid option where no bidder can see whats been bidded. So when the timer hits zero whoever bidded the most wins. There are actual auctions that already do this.

So in this form of auction you just place you bid at what your willing to pay at the highest. When the timer hits zero if you didnt bid the highest so be it. You didnt want it as bad as another

Just now, Aelis said:

I totally agree with Chewett's suggestion. I'm used to seeing things move slow in MD time. I think that immediacy is very not MD-like.

That said, I think bidding within the last moments (even if a single silver over the current bid) extends the timer by 5 minutes, or am I wrong? So if we're going by the "if you really want it, stay up" path, that shouldn't be a problem?

It extends it by exactly 5 minutes currently, when you bid under 5 minutes. This is what I reference as the "endurance" strategy. An attempt to outlast your opposing bidder by weaponizing time.

i hate blind auctions... >_< it makes people risk drastically overpaying or misjudging the auction on a rare item, both create stupid scenarios...

3 minutes ago, Blackshade Rider said:

I agree

Id also maybe suggest a silent bid/blind bid option where no bidder can see whats been bidded. So when the timer hits zero whoever bidded the most wins. There are actual auctions that already do this.

So in this form of auction you just place you bid at what your willing to pay at the highest. When the timer hits zero if you didnt bid the highest so be it. You didnt want it as bad as another

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Forum Statistics

  • Total Topics 17.6k
  • Total Posts 183k

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.