The Incomplete Tale

dst

I've noticed that several WPs were given for this quest.

I would like to READ the stories the winners submitted and also the stories other players sent.

No need to ask why. You all know why.

Btw: the sooner the better because the later you post them the more suspicious I will be that you invented it now!

Edited by dst

dst, can you please include the link to the original quest, thank you.

A remark: Innocence did not only read and reward my story. I also received a detailed review (what was good, what could have been better).

[color=#008000]The Morphing Eagle[/color]
[color=#008000]…[/color]
[color=#008000]The eagle cries in pain but there is no escape. With trained grips the hunter puts a mask on the head of the eagle. He ties the eagle’s claws and pulls the arrow out of the feathering. He cleans the wound making sure the eagle won’t die. He does this silently with routine, however once he finished all strain falls from him. Under a giant oak tree the hunter sits down and starts crying. It has been such a long time. Finally he will get it![/color]
[color=#008000]After an hour of recovery he knows exactly where to go. He heads to the library in the old land. Once he arrived there he opens an old book. He remembers that he read this book 15 years ago. 15 years! He hears his heart beat and takes some deep breathes to calm down. He finds the passage he was searching for. The book tells about an ancient ritual used to morph creatures. He pats the eagle that remained silent under its mask. Just one single ingredient is missing...[/color]
[color=#008000]Soon the hunter leaves the library and goes to an old city. However, he is not looking for human company. He waits until deep night and enters a secret underground passage. He follows the black path until he can smell the sea. The hunter is on a small cliff path now. Wind soughs and he hears the ocean waves crashing against the cliff. Down there he finds the missing ingredient the book told about. Carefully he collects some of the herbs that manage to survive in these hostile mountains.
The hunter follows the path until he finds the old abandoned mill he is looking for. This is the right place for his ritual. The hunter enters the mill taking the eagle and the herb with him. Inside he follows the procedure the book told him. The hunter places the herbs on a cold fireplace. Now he takes the mask off the eagle. The eagle stares into the fireplace and tries to orientate. He notices a silver brightness coming from the left side followed by a short deep pain when the hunter cuts off the eagle’s head with his keen edge knife.[/color]
[color=#008000]The fresh blood drops fall down on the herbs. The hunter places the dead corpse of the eagle on the herbs and starts a prayer. Soon he feels a strong influence. He is able to see much more clearly. The ritual actually works! This is what the hunter hoped for! Soon he would be the most powerful hunter and assassin. Soon he feels even more power. Looking to his arms he observes some feathers growing. More and more feathers come. He feels a strong craving for the air and leaves the house. He opens his arms which became wings. For a short time the hunter is surprised when his legs leave the ground and he notices that he is able to fly.[/color]
[color=#008000]The hunter enjoys flying. He feels that flying was something he missed for a long time. Higher and higher up he flies. He gives out a piercing shriek. He notices a mouse when he passes a cabin. Seconds later he catches the mouse with his sharp claws. He carries the catch to his nest and enjoys the sea breeze...[/color]

This is the response Innocence gave me in game since he "doesn't have a forum account" :D

[quote]A response
Dst,

My quest, The Incomplete Tale, has been available to everyone since the early part of April. If you would care to check my alliance page, you would see that the deadline for this quest was the 16th of April. Having given those who were interested in the quest about two weeks to submit entries, that would mean the quest has been up since the earliest part of April.
While it is far beyond the 16th of April, the deadline was also “dependent upon the quality and quantity of submissions,” of which, sadly, there were few. There was one who, on several occasions, asked me to reserve judgment of entries until their story was finished. I was reluctant to do so at first, but seeing as the number of people who submitted entries was low, I was willing to give this person time. And, in the end, I am happy I did.

Perhaps you do not remember or were not paying attention at the time, but during the first few weeks of April, I did go around to various scenes within the game, as well as post a message to the mood panel several times on different days, to let others know I had a quest and that it was available on my alliance page. I received several messages during that time from those who showed an interest. Again, however, the final number of entries was rather low.
I am happy to say, though, that the quality of most of those entries was quite high. It was easy to tell that the few who had taken the time to write up something had put a lot of thought into their pieces. The submissions were a joy to read and were extremely creative, which was the goal of my quest: to encourage creativity amongst the citizenry of MagicDuel

As for posting the submissions, I have several issues with your request:
First, I do not have, and will not create, an account on the forum, especially for this one thing.
Second, I have to wonder if you question the awarding of all wish points or if I have been singled out because this is the first time I have been able to award such a prize or if it is something more, the possibility that you have a personal issue with me. I will not speculate further on this, though.
Third, which is closely related to the second point, I find your desire to read the entries disingenuous. Again, do you make it a policy to question and review the submissions and interactions of all wish point winners? I cannot recall a recent event where you questioned such rewards. Why this? Why now?

As such, I do not feel the need to share the entries of the winners or of anyone else who submitted anything to me. This was a legitimate quest set up months ago, even if I have only recently been able to award the authors. If the authors of the respective works wish to share their pieces with you, I would not stop them. Indeed, I would encourage them to do so.

It is your motivation that I find questionable and, as such, will not indulge you in this.

Have a wonderful time,
~Innocence [/quote]

I will answer by this:

I DID not contest the legitimacy of the quest as in never said it did not exist because I know it did.

All I want are the submissions of the players especially the ones awarded with a WP.
Mighty Pirate already shared his work (and again, thank you for posting Mighty Pirate).
I am waiting tor Aranna and Karak to do it. And others that participated (others only if they feel like it).

Happy now?

• Root Admin

[quote name='dst' timestamp='1312625461' post='89612']
Btw: the sooner the better because the later you post them the more suspicious I will be that you invented it now!
[/quote]
[quote name='dst' timestamp='1312660986' post='89656']
I DID not contest the legitimacy of the quest as in never said it did not exist because I know it did.
[/quote]

Yes... Yes you did question it, your mere first post suggested that she "invented it"

Yet at the same time one side has to decide whether to push or to give. What is the harm in sharing WP worthy stories? Obviously, the way the whole topic is worded will not make anyone want to give the stories out lightly, yet it would greatly benefit to relieve any doubt that may exist if the stories would be posted.

Not sharing is understandable, but will only create doubts. Why not just dissolve them now? I would applaud the decision to meet the demand, even though it may look forced.

[quote name='dst' timestamp='1312664480' post='89660']
No, you misunderstood me. I wanted to say this: if a story is posted late then I may assume that the delay was caused by the fact that the story did not exist in the first place and it took some time until one was created.
[/quote]

Actually dst that is not a valid assumption. One might not choose to share a story (perhaps because of it needing to be rewritten or perhaps they might be disinclined to post on an open forum something very personal), or one might be on vacation or not a forum reader and thus time lapses between your post and their reading it.

I will state that reading the quoted words might make me see red if it was a story of mine being questioned about its existance. I would be very apologetic but probably would refuse to post anything needed to prove my merits as a writer :) But then again, although I try to be intellectual there is a solid facet of me that has an emotional component. Obviously it must be that core part that is responding rather than the rational being who thinks "I know dst does not mean it the way it sounds".

I've looked at the WP logs and did not see 'proof' on them that anyone earned or deserved the WP they were rewarded for a quest or something else. Am I missing something? Maybe the problem you are stating results from too little showing on the logs? Should they all be linked to proof of validity or something please?

As to if you ran a story quest and chose not to share the winning stories - I would personally believe your judgement of the winners would be based on solid reasons because I trust in your integrity based on how you write and what you react to on forum. I'm sure that is not the answer your question asked for but it is a fact to be relied on and thus shared.

[quote name='Stipple' timestamp='1312667232' post='89667']
... One might not choose to share a story (perhaps because of it needing to be rewritten or perhaps they might be disinclined to post on an open forum something very personal), or one might be on vacation or not a forum reader and thus time lapses between your post and their reading it.
I would be very apologetic but probably would refuse to post anything needed to prove my merits as a writer :)
[/quote]

The question is not about the ones that really wrote something, it is about having the privilege to [b]reward[/b] WPs and the requirements for using them.

In short : there is a suspicion of abuse at a level that requires a punishment.

Maybe dst didn't wrote it nicely, but Innocence understood what was requested and refused and therefor , somehow, confirming dst's suspicion.

[quote]
As for posting the submissions, I have several issues with your request:
First, I do not have, and will not create, an account on the forum, especially for this one thing.
Second, I have to wonder if you question the awarding of all wish points or if I have been singled out because this is the first time I have been able to award such a prize or if it is something more, the possibility that you have a personal issue with me. I will not speculate further on this, though.
Third, which is closely related to the second point, I find your desire to read the entries disingenuous. Again, do you make it a policy to question and review the submissions and interactions of all wish point winners? I cannot recall a recent event where you questioned such rewards. Why this? Why now?
[/quote]

I am sorry to say but at this moment I too am inclined to believe that this was not a fair / correct reward.

Magic Pirate posted their winning story so apparently there was at least one story. Do the other two have to post their stories to avoid punishment? And other WPs being rewarded - do people now have to save off logs to prove worthiness of them? I question merely to understand and decide if it is ever worth it to win a WP or will I in future face an inquisition if I happen to win one. That now appears a bit scary to me but I am new to the game so perhaps there is past bad deeds performed by Innocence, Magic Pirate, Aranna, and Karak that I am not aware of that makes their story contest suspect? Do they make a practice of spending weeks and weeks on setting up WP trading scams? Seems like a lot of effort for little gain to me.

Edited by Stipple

[url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/6686-wps-gone-bad/"]http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/6686-wps-gone-bad/[/url] found the forum topic dst (used google to get it) So this is a continuation of your previous questioning last year about setting out for discussion points when you see iffey rewarding of wishpoints?

Hmmmmm...

I think dst is right, there should be some transparency in quests of such give-essay nature with WPs as rewards, cause if there isnt one (btw there were a number of quests with non-published winning works) we can all just make a quest and reward few of our friends in the process, incognito.

I agree transparency guidelines would make sense Princ. As you state there are a number of quests with non-published winning works. That is a valid point and a rational discussion starter. Much more so now that everyone who has been here more than 60 days has at least one WP. Discussion on the general framework might be in order.

I offered to show *dst* my story today but she refused saying that she didn't care, she also tried to force Innocence to show it after stating that my story was owned by MD. She then went on to quote
[quote]All code, design, artworks and content on Magicduel, with the exception of links, images, texts hosted on third parties, are fully owned by Magicduel Adventure LLC and/or individualy by its shareholders.[/quote]
As my story was a text hosted by a third party the story is therefore not owned by MD.

Aranna, stop with the lies.You know as much as I do what has been said.

If you wish to show your story, make it public so everyone will see it. I want to read it ON THE FORUM. I never tried to force innocence into doing anything. I asked for TRANSPARENCY. Is that so bad?

I quoted when you or Ivorak (can't remember right now) asked about the copyright. Also you said you sent the story through PM to Innocence. How does that make it hosted by a 3rd party?

So you 2 cut the <insert bad word here>. If you have noting to hide get the balls and post the story. I will fight for this until the end. If innocence is allowed to get away with this a dangerous precedent will be created. And soon we'll see tons of WPs awarded for things that "can't be published because the authors are shy or feel uncomfortable about their writings".