Changing the Time of Shared item regroup

Chewett

• Root Admin

When i implemented the rain system i added a way of running any event, at any time. This means that a number of events that were stuck at specific times of the day, now could be random.

This means we could, if we wanted to change the item regroup to be totally random.

Pros of Totally random
Makes it fairer generally
stops groups of people hoarding tools

Pros of distinct times
Allows co-operation of gathering tools
may be unfair to those whose times are bad.

Changes we could make are:
Random time, dont tell anyone when it is
Random time, announce it in the previous weeks, so people know when
Keep the current system

What do people think?

I had this idea a while back ago, and what in my opinion would be the best is. A random time and a random day. That day can be over 6, 7 or 8 days. This way it has more randomness, but it's still balanced. Because it will change every week.

i like a blind random regroup (totally random time, without announcement)

those who are dedicated to harvesting will notice the tool dissapeared from their pockets

^  This.

I like randomness, and while it would prevetn organized groups gathering at a specific time,  it may encourage inter-group cooperation, as people spread out and check in to grab what they can, if it's available.  It's also fair in the sense of not biased to any one timezone or group, assuming true pseudo-randomness.

Edited by Maebius

I like the way it is now

if one with not much ap for some land he still can  make an big trip for him to get some tea set for exemple.... he can plan and have an chance to get it now

but if its random ... it will be not

right now its allright because there is 2 different time, and it should accomodate every one if they take effort to get it and  plan, if one is not allright the other should be allright

Ill try to make my case more i will tel about some rewarding experience i had in MD

I can say that when being still an young mp3 with almost just enought ap to move in tribunal and MDA (without pickel but using the voting boost)

i was at that time to make expeditions to get tools
bucket
tea making tools
box of candy

it was really rewarding all that planning and efforts that where reward with an success of those efforts

and as for the applications of those tools, it was not an individual thing as you know well that for making teas one need other people and goods ... but i had to make friends and get help,... but i had satisfaction of making it apend

yes i could have just ask some older player to do all work and provide all, or for getting plants, and water  i could have just ask some player to provide .... or even better just ask for free tea cups

but it was an good experience that way

but if it would be random, i would have most likely not be able to get those very good experiences

Edited by Tom Pouce

Random one week, non random the next and so on i think is the best bet.

For people that like to deplete, those that like to just harvest relaxedly, those that just want to explore, itll be the best option.

I feel this would cater to the needs of many, not just a few.

A good idea indeed Chew. I like it.

• Root Admin

I like the idea of alternating: One week random one week fixed. The only question I have is must it be once every week? Can the frequency be changed as well?

Anything can be changed. The question is should it :)

Why not turn this into a quest?

Come up with a reasonable formula and drop hints.  Always wondered what those letters meant, for instance.

Or even better... spawn based on the DNA of the person who currently holds the item.  THAT'D be interesting.  Or the DNA of some other person... etc...

Awi

Edited by awiiya

• Root Admin

Why not turn this into a quest?

Come up with a reasonable formula and drop hints.  Always wondered what those letters meant, for instance.

Or even better... spawn based on the DNA of the person who currently holds the item.  THAT'D be interesting.  Or the DNA of some other person... etc...

Awi

Because this isnt a quest, This is a simple game mechanic, that im looking for some input before it gets changed since we have new better tools.

Its not intended to be complicated, its just resetting of items, something that every player should be able to get relatively easily. Which is espically important for upcoming autumnal quests. Its not going to be based on DNA.

I don't mind the current system but if it went random I would encourage it to be randomly 6-8 days but first week should be 00:00 to 11:59 and second week should be 12:00 to 23:59 ST.  That would still allow for people in different timezones to have a better chance to get a shared item.

A shame you want simple, or I would suggest having the return interval be per item, based on when it was grabbed, with the random component of return time being anywhere from 144 to 168 hours.

Ah well. Simplicity dashes my dreams for elegant complexity, once again.

• Root Admin

A shame you want simple, or I would suggest having the return interval be per item, based on when it was grabbed, with the random component of return time being anywhere from 144 to 168 hours.

If everyone really wants a complex idea, then put forward a suggestion. But it needs to be easily worked out for new people, because being able to get the tools should not be hard.

Nice ideas. Some good , some bad but still somewhat interesting.

Can you ppl continue your ideas ? Can you just preview the outcome of your proposals ? If you do, then write also why your my is good. Otherwise it is a crappy idea , not chiseled , with lots of gaps and thus not that good.

Chewett said:
Changes we could make are:
A. Random time, dont tell anyone when it is
B. Random time, announce it in the previous weeks, so people know when
C. Keep the current system

A. Tom Pouce said it all. It will hurt the little ones that don't have good access (have land loyalty) to shared access.

If you don't believe me, try it as an unknown MP3 to get any shared item.

No, it is not about me as I currently have access to what I need/want and I am flexible enough with what I have access to.

B. That would be good if you schedule it in pairs of 2 weeks. First random and second 12 hours apart.

This way it would grant access to almost all timezones.

If you change it outside the interval of 4-8 AM/PM, some ppl could have access to it constantly (yea, I am talking about me). I don't say that it is not the case for some, but still it is a good interval to split the world.

C. Considering the above. Why should you bother changing the system. It would only complicate it and would give you a lot of headache.

My opinion : Do as you wish, just don't choose A (hidden random times).

• Root Admin

Simple game mechanic < interesting or bizarre game mechanic... 

But if you want it simple, I agree that having it random one week, consistent the other is a good way of doing things.

Awi

Im looking forward to both of your plans for a nice fun complex and easy to use for new players mechanic.

Well, to flesh out my idea, I would say:

• Have fortnightly scheduled regroups.
  • Scheduled regroups do not effect items picked up within 12 hours of the regroup
  • Items are automatically returned after a random interval of between 36 and 60 hours, randomly chosen at time of pick up and not displayed anywhere
  • Current "return on use" limitations apply.

That provides more opportunity for people to get items, as well as having a fixed time that most items should be returned. This allows for both organized groups to get the items they need, and individuals to get a chance to try them out.

Fiddle with the random time frames all you want though.

@Kyphys: your post it has good and bad points .

In the mean time, can you please share with us your experience with shared items ? (what kind of items you used and where).

Now I am upset.

I find it very interesting that many ppl start talking without even trying / knowing what they are talking about.

How the heck is what you proposed useful ? %^&*

For example Water :

- I spend half a day to get to where the water items are

- I spend other few good hours entering GG

- if you happen to find any water over 60% you are lucky

Fenth collectors:

- you NEVER get your hand on one directly

- you don't find fenths on a daily bases

Why the heck should I spend more then half my time just going back for my items every  36 - 60 hours. STUPID.

Did you tried to get herbs from LotE without having land loyalty ? Good luck.

Why don't you ppl propose a feature (link) to RETURN shared items to their place by choice of current owner ?

Edited by No one

No One's idea is a great one.

To answer his question, I typically only use shared items for a few hours, on days where I can be on MD for a long time. While it can be annoying to get tools from LotE, having an alliance I can use to teleport out again certainly helps.

Since I typically only use items for a couple hours at a time, having a link to send the damn things back would be very useful.

• Root Admin

No One's idea is a great one.

To answer his question, I typically only use shared items for a few hours, on days where I can be on MD for a long time. While it can be annoying to get tools from LotE, having an alliance I can use to teleport out again certainly helps.

Since I typically only use items for a couple hours at a time, having a link to send the damn things back would be very useful.

It takes me nearly half a day or so to get to the herbs in LoTE, then i stay there until regroup so i can get loads of herbs.

Getting there is a massive pain, you reset the tools too soon, it becomes impossible and not worth it.

It takes me nearly half a day or so to get to the herbs in LoTE, then i stay there until regroup so i can get loads of herbs.

Getting there is a massive pain, you reset the tools too soon, it becomes impossible and not worth it.

Aye, that's why I said in my suggestion to change the random hour length as needed. Obviously with this consideration you would want it to be closer to by original suggestion, 144 to 168 hours

Having the "random hour length" for shared items return could get the reset time to weekends when some ppl cannot have the time for them.

Having the reset time on Tuesday is convenient for everybody. (or any other day withing the middle of the week thus not Monday nor Friday).

Having the time stable simply confer the whole process stability and reliability.

I still don't understand:

What is the problem with the current system ?

Is the time of the reset not convenient ? (I know that usually from 2 to 7 AM  I cannot play thus I don't get the items at those times)

Do you want shorter time for item reset ?

Off topic:

I know that in most weekends I don't play much.

So, if you want to move the item reset to Monday and you could somehow create the "return item" link, then I would most definitely return some items on Friday.