MD Titles (Discussion of Title Granting Authorities)

Ivorak

The granting of titles/roles will soon be accompanied by a quality physical document, a collector's item as described in this topic: http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/15247-important-future-way-of-granting-titlesroles/.  

Additionally, future titles will not be awarded solely by Mur or the Council but in a hierarchical fashion. For example, Mur will be awarding titles to the kings and other land leaders, and those land leaders may in turn grant titles to those with roles pertaining to their respective lands. It's comparable to the feudal system where a king may award a faithful follower with the title and authority of a lord, and that lord may in turn knight his men, to serve him as he himself serves his liege. Of course, in MD there is less of a notion of noble blood and fewer political structures (and a greater sense of merit); a "Master Artist" might have the same authority to grant titles as a king, albeit under a different dominion. A "Master Artist" might award the title "Avatar Manager" whereas a king would be more likely to award a title related to the management of his own land.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to come up with a suitable candidate for "Master Artist", which brings us to the purpose of this thread: "Who deserves the authority to award titles?" and, to a lesser degree, "Who deserves a title?" Mur will have the final say regarding the first question, while the second question will be mostly left to those whose names are an answer to the first. The list below is provided not as an indication of who will be awarded titles, except as a rough sketch. Please comment on the list provided and suggest additions.  Keep in mind that to receive a title a player must be currently active (though we will maintain a list of those who may be awarded if they reappear) and should have a specific concrete role for the title.

Without further ado, my draft list (in no particular order):

• *Chewett* - Code Guardian, etc.
  • *Grido* - Head LHO, King of Golemus Golemicarum
  • Kyphis - MDA Chancellor
  • darkraptor - MDA Chancellor
  • dst - Leader of the Underground, Bugs, etc.
  • *Burns* - DracHorn Master
  • Shadowseeker - Researcher
  • Princ Rhaegar - King of Marind Bell
  • Azull - King of Necrovion
  • *Peace* - Queen of Necrovion
  • Zleiphneir - Tengri, Defenders of Bob
  • Eon - Legendary Fighter, Assassin/Executioner
  • Mya Celestia - Consul of Loreroot
  • *Sunfire* - Consul of Loreroot (inactive according to http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/15604-time-for-a-break/#entry153211)
  • Nimrodel - Quest Organizer
  • Awiiya - Rooted Philosopher
  • Neno Veliki - Avatar Manager
  • Fire Starter - Avatar Manager
  • BFH - Master Advertiser
  • Pipstickz - Treasure Keepers
  • Max Mortlock - Treasure Keepers
  • Innocence - Head of the Archivists

It's a bit rough, I'm already catching errors or flaws in reasoning I haven't addressed, but that should help you get started in tearing it apart. In a constructive fashion, I hope. :)

P.S. Land leaders, please don't forget the related forum PM I should have sent to all of you.

So you're asking who will give out titles that aren't leader roles or land related?

Correct.  And yes, the list is a bit confused because, for instance, it might make more sense for Innocence to receive her title via Kyphis and darkraptor (provided she gets one at all).

Edit: 

To clarify not so much "who will give out titles..." but "who do you think should be able to give out titles..."  In other words, I not asking Mur, I'm asking this for Mur.

Edited by Ivorak

"Who deserves the authority to award titles?"

Lets ask people to nominate, and then vote on them?

"Who deserves a title?"

I think everyone in MD should be able to suggest someone for a title by going to the few people who have the authority to grant them, but the decision would only be made by said people.

Example: Some people randomly passing Bob notice Intrigue always guarding him so they send Z a PM suggesting a title (in which case Z may think "If at least 3 people suggest it to me and after I've watched it myself too, I'll know Intrigue deserves it." This means that only Z has the authority to grant, in this case)

This example is for those who wouldn't have authority to grant them, of course. Those who do have full authority can grant any titles they wish to anyone...? I think someone from Necrovion shouldn't be able to give a title to someone from Loreroot, unless agreed of course. Azull (if nominated and has authority), for example, can suggest a title for Tal to Mya (if nominated and has authority), but shouldn't be able to give it directly, but that shouldn't be the case if Azull wants to give a title to lashtal.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to add, those nominated would be the people who can grant titles outside of lands and land leaders

Edited by DARK DEMON

"Who deserves the authority to award titles?"

Lets ask people to nominate, and then vote on them?

dst: Yes,sure, let's VOTE for something as stupid at this. We all have time to waste on trivial things which have already been handled.

"Who deserves a title?"

I think everyone in MD should be able to suggest someone for a title by going to the few people who have the authority to grant them, but the decision would only be made by said people.

Example: Some people randomly passing Bob notice Intrigue always guarding him so they send Z a PM suggesting a title (in which case Z may think "If at least 3 people suggest it to me and after I've watched it myself too, I'll know Intrigue deserves it." This means that only Z has the authority to grant, in this case)

This example is for those who wouldn't have authority to grant them, of course. Those who do have full authority can grant any titles they wish to anyone...? I think someone from Necrovion shouldn't be able to give a title to someone from Loreroot, unless agreed of course. Azull (if nominated and has authority), for example, can suggest a title for Tal to Mya (if nominated and has authority), but shouldn't be able to give it directly, but that shouldn't be the case if Azull wants to give a title to lashtal.

dst: if you stop being an ignorant and actually READ what Mur had said about titles you'll probably (I am not sure cause you know...) realize that such an issue was already addressed and most of all SOLVED!

I'm sure Ivorak loves to work through a bit of spam, but at least make an honest attempt to answer the question he posted: Who else should be on the list?

It's not about how to call roles, whether or not "etc." is a good reason to grant titles, and how people can go about getting titles. Try to stay on topic.

Removed a few posts prior to this. If you think your post was a valid contribution, and i just read it wrong, message me and we can work it out.

Also, as it happens, i think Granos, the Chief Voidling, should be on that list, if you count him for active currently.

Edited by Burns

@dst, Dark Demon has actually somewhat clarified Mur's intent.  Though I must add that it's not a straight vote, Mur will have the final word on these matters.

@Burns, Granos was actually on my original list of possibilities and I lost his name in the shuffle.

@Dark Demon, if you think names on the list are inactive, please list them, so others can discuss and we can cross them off. Though some may go on a separate list to be awarded if they return later.

@Dark Demon, if you think names on the list are inactive, please list them, so others can discuss and we can cross them off. Though some may go on a separate list to be awarded if they return later.

1) Grido:   ~barely~ seem him do anything or act in any way or create some sort of impact in the game in the past year or so at least

2) Awiiya:   stated so himself that he will be inactive for an indefinite period of time

3) Nimrodel:   recently stated in LHO forum that her schedule is extremely busy and she will barely have time to play MD

4) Max Mortlock:   haven't seen him in months. Has anyone else?

5) Shadowseeker:   ~barely~ seem him do anything or act in any way or create some sort of impact in the game in the past year or so at least

6) Zleiphneir:   ~barely~ seem him do anything or act in any way or create some sort of impact in the game in the past year or so at least

7) Sunfire:   already stated

To some extent, *Peace* as well (who knows, maybe she's active inside Necrovion, but certainly not much outside)

This is just a list of current inactives. All of the above were active in the past and have worked hard for their roles. I repeat: this is only the current situation.

• Root Admin

*Grido* - Moving, mostly inactive but probably still deserves a title
Shadowseeker - Inactive, when was the last time you saw him? My inactivity measure (the one in code) counts his score barely in double digits, whereas others is in 4 plus digits...
*Peace* - Does she still play? havent seen her in a while
Zleiphneir - he is inactive and left the game
*Sunfire* - Consul of Loreroot (inactive according to http://magicduel.inv...k/#entry153211)
Awiiya - Inactive and left the game I believed
Max Mortlock - I thought he left/became completely inactive

---

These are people who, if you wanted to apply activity to the title giving, should not get a title.

• Root Admin

People with very well established roles, can gain ability to grant a very limited number of titles too. Like any other title, these titles should be granted "below" the authority and power of the one granting it. (i keep reformulating this phrase because i still can't find the right words for it, but i guess its clear what i mean)

This way, the diversity of roles and most important the diversity of their granting authorities will vary a lot and they will be a lot more collectible and interesting.

Otherwise, all docs would be backed up by me and a king...and that will be boring later, for everyone. If titles can be granted by a lot more people, each in his own "branch" of activity, the roles will be slowly defining something similar to guilds..think about the people receiving a title from a "specilized" character as a sort of disciple within that branch.

These are the first steps to a self organizing MD social structure.

(Ivorak, please consider the above when centralizing the data i requested)

All titles are and will be printed by me here, and i remain the only one to be able to send out blank titles and establish who can give titles. This means that nobody will be able to grant anyone the ability to give other titles, except myself.

Each doc can and must have two granting authorities, one higher than the other (preferably). If i remove myself as one of them, there is room for a king and a specialized character to back someones elses title up.

get my point?

shout now if you believe something is not right

Shadowseeker - Inactive, when was the last time you saw him? My inactivity measure (the one in code) counts his score barely in double digits, whereas others is in 4 plus digits...

I'm actually around, just cannot be bothered to do anything visible in MD. Though by most definitions I am most definitely inactive.

In what way do "niche" groups like the flag groups play into this? It would fit into the title hierarchy and could be used to promote the social groups. I don't see a must to do so, but reintegrating them into the new systems might be worth a thought.

(Since I'm in China right now the internet is a bit weird, aka I won't always be having access to MD etc. Thus sorry if my replies to the discussions are slow.)

In what way do "niche" groups like the flag groups play into this? It would fit into the title hierarchy and could be used to promote the social groups. I don't see a must to do so, but reintegrating them into the new systems might be worth a thought.

I actually suggested that to Mur as pertaining to your title, but Mur responded "that's not really an achievement".  But I assume you got it for something, so perhaps you could remind him of that something?

On another note, leaders of alliances who have been at the role for a while should probably receive titles. Though the alliances are mostly under the authority of one land or another so that should already be covered by their respective kings, right?

• Root Admin

i want titles and tags to be the same thing.

for that to happen we need the multiple tags system done (chew knows what i am talking about), and in some situations that the player deserves a title he should also receive a tag then. A general "cleanup" is also needed but its nearly impossible to do all in one. All i can do is to give titles retroactively only for the significant roles in past times, and make the relation tag-title more strict for tags from now on.

I always underlined the importance of tags and tried to keep them rare and valuable. These titles will be a hard to replace method of keeping tag values.

• Root Admin

yes

however before you start screaming, you should know that there will be an extensive list of general tags, for public functions so to say...so there won't be papers for absolutely every tag, only for the custom, personal, tags.

I always wanted tags to be something well controlled and valuable. Kings managed to keep their value relatively intact so i don't think there will be much difference at this point if tags will be given with papers or without.

receiving a certificate along with the tag does not mean you are less likely to receive a tag because there are not enough papers and such, its my business to ensure there will be always enough certifiates for everyone deserving one and that they reach you absolutely free of any charge.