Feedback on the new forum

Chewett

i hate it as well, not only is it updating way too much into the new content feed, when you try and sort the feed it doesnt save anything. the look is awful, expanded update view is useless, this permanent sidebar is a huge waste of space, its now also making sound alerts. the calander getting spammed with DoT and spell reset is clogging up the feed. not only that, the forum "upgrade" has messed up all my topics that i had unread and are now marked as read and the new content feed is only displaying things from the past week

edit: not only that, the topic posts are now showing the avatars for the person to post last, instead of the original poster, this is rather annoying as well because now theres no easy way to tell who made a forum post by scrolling, instead its just a minor mention in the text

Edited by Syrian

• Root Admin
3 minutes ago, DARK DEMON said:

All that^

And my pic is gone

And you havent been able to reupload it?

45 minutes ago, lightsage said:

And here I was liking the posts being visible in the "all activity" view... Shame it'll be reverted :(

We wont be reverting it, it was a required update.

46 minutes ago, Kyphis the Bard said:

I hate it. Passionately.

Why?

43 minutes ago, Syrian said:

i hate it as well, not only is it updating way too much into the new content feed, when you try and sort the feed it doesnt save anything. the look is awful, expanded update view is useless, this permanent sidebar is a huge waste of space, its now also making sound alerts. the calander getting spammed with DoT and spell reset is clogging up the feed. not only that, the forum "upgrade" has messed up all my topics that i had unread and are now marked as read and the new content feed is only displaying things from the past week

edit: not only that, the topic posts are now showing the avatars for the person to post last, instead of the original poster, this is rather annoying as well because now theres no easy way to tell who made a forum post by scrolling, instead its just a minor mention in the text

Thank you for your feedback :)

Updating too much in the content feed? What does this mean?

Sorting the feed doesnt sort anything?

Calendar has been imported with our official one.It will be helpful as more people add more events. Its only spammed the event feed as I imported it to start with.

I havent seen any problems with the unread, is it because you have different filters now? Have you tried the filters?

I think the avatar thing is just a personal preference. I personally like it how it is now.

31 minutes ago, Ivorak said:

I'm not sure yet, but I think in a week or so I'll really like it. The post text editor is much cleaner.

From what I have tried so far, I also quite like it, its going to take some time getting used to it though.

11 minutes ago, Juni0r said:

BAD IDEA

Any other comments?

-------

As a general comment from me:

The forum upgrade has been recommended for a little while and I decided to do it over this week,although I only submitted the request last night and they told me it would take at least 8 days to get an engineer. I was going to write a post today!

It will probably take a bit of getting used to, So I will be asking others for their feedback in a week or twos time. Please do press buttons, see what you can do, etc, and play with it.

If you find a cool feature, or something a bit broken, make a post please and we can play with it or look at it.

Thanks all for your patience.

I liked the old set up better. I could get use to this but I already had a method of checking things and this one does not really improve upon an aspect... just makes it a bit different to access things.... Plus the other one was more appealing in appearance/overall layout. 

Edit: I do like the pm system a bit better than the old way. Probably will not lose pms from receiving too many now. Not sure but it is something to check out.

edit2: I can not find where the status updates/where people post how they are doing, quotes, or advertise an event/quest/forum post.

Edited by Assira the Black

>>Updating too much in the content feed? What does this mean?

i mean its updating EVERYTHING, not just new posts, if i go to new content i see updates for calander all over it. this is frustrating because its cluttering the feed, the search functions alos show it will update on status updates and pictures as well. sorting the feed sorts it temporarily, on leaving the page it doesnt save the sort/filters so you have to reapply them every time to filter out the content you dont want (so that only thread posts are visible) .

I used the unread content feature on the old style, and would intend to do so on this new version as well.

I appreciated have page views for unread content so that I could tell how much I had not read and therefore may need to read to catch up. On the new forum style, there is just a "Load more activity" with this I have absolutely no idea the amount of content I need to review. If there is any option I would like the content feed to either display all, or display in a page format / some other format that clearly displays the amount of content remaining.

I have already saved a new content feed to show only threads and status', therefore Events etc are taken off my feed.

@Syrianthere's the option to save content settings, but you have to specifically choose to do so

Edited by Grido

I have mixed feelings.

Personally, the workings of this forum update seems to be far better than the previous (new tricks and gadgets to learn and use), however, I dislike the fact it lacks any sort of real connection (aesthetically) to the game. It looks too..."clean" for MD.

It'll take some getting used to...but I like it (I think.)

• Root Admin
59 minutes ago, Assira the Black said:

Plus the other one was more appealing in appearance/overall layout. 

This is something we will be working on :)

1 hour ago, Assira the Black said:

Edit: I do like the pm system a bit better than the old way. Probably will not lose pms from receiving too many now. Not sure but it is something to check out.

I will have to try this. Also the quoting system is amazing (highlight something, press quote this, when it appears after a second or two)

edit2: I can not find where the status updates/where people post how they are doing, quotes, or advertise an event/quest/forum post.

I think Mur hid that, I will see if I can magic it up.

44 minutes ago, Syrian said:

also another thing i dislike is that the browser tab icon is the same as MD, which makes navigating MD/forums and other tabs confusing and hard to notice which tab is which quickly

Its just something I threw up there, Likely will modify it, thanks for the feedback. We previously had the MD icon (on forum version 2)

32 minutes ago, Rophs said:

I'd like to be able to filter out different events from the feed, possibly being able to set named presets of different sets of feed filters.

Isnt grido saying he is doing this?

30 minutes ago, MaGoHi said:

Could you change the color back to the orange like the one the old forum had?

As above, its an apperence tweak. If you want to go looking I suggest you google "ipb 4 themes"

24 minutes ago, blackrider said:

I hate the new forum. I cant find anything. I cant find my own content. I dislike almost everything. I think alot of things like the posting and messaging is a great update but the layout i feel is off

When you say "you cant find anything" What do you mean? Have you tried? And I mean actually tried to use the forum?

When you say you cant find your own content, how? Searching?

I will respect your opinion if you say you cant find things because of X reasons, but it looks just like you have went "its different, I dont like it" and not actually tried.

I myself have had these frustrations too, even more so on the admin side (they have changed everything for admins too) but after trying to use it I find its relatively intuitive.

• Root Admin
53 minutes ago, Syrian said:

MD/forums and other tabs confusing and hard to notice which tab is which quickly

Modified the favicon, better?

Also doing the same for the md-archives website.

• Root Admin

I have added it to the homepage on the left like before.

The new forum is going to take some getting used to, but it does seem to have some cool features. I really don't like the layout though. But I've never been one for the oversized square style that seems popular nowadays.

I'd suggest changing the in game link to the forum to either:

http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/discover/unread/

or even

http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/discover/unread/?&stream_classes[IPS\forums\Topic]=1

To keep the rusty old vets happy :) (and because they seem more useful than the general activity overview)

Edit:

Just noticed the condenced view in the activity overviews and condenced is a lot better.

Edited by samon

1 hour ago, Chewett said:

Modified the favicon, better?

Also doing the same for the md-archives website.

much better, thank you. is there any way to remove/reduce all the stuff on the right sidebar? it creates a lot of wasted space 

It was quite the surprise. I can't say I love the new forum, but if it was a necessary upgrade...it's fine. 

What kills me actually is: " This post cannot be displayed because it is in a forum which requires at least 200 posts to view. " Is it time for me to spam the forum just to get to read posts like that? :D