Fork combiner idea

Blackshade Rider

I was thinking about fork combiners. Well there is one in the east lands that you can load uncut diamonds (a resource ) into a fork combiner and after 2 months i think it is , youll get a "valuable " called Brilliant diamond. 

So i was thinking what if a fork combiner was made for Pure gold (a resource ) and somewhere in MD {i dont know where} you can load it into a fork combiner and get a "Valuable " gold coin 

Maybe load 5 pure gold to get 1 gold coin, and it take the same amount of time as it does to make a brilliant diamond .

Any thoughts? 

Edited by Chewett
Removed stupid comment

Doing this would have a severely negative effect on the value of gold coins. Silver would actually, in the long run, become more valuable than the gold.

It's just like the reason behind why coins used for rewards (by TK, Mur, Chew, everyone) are recycled and not just created out of thin air.

Diamonds have no actually determined value at the moment, gold coins, on the other hand, do. So it's much much harder to do something like this without ruining the entire market.

Edited by Aethon

@Bs : why do you always think of personal gain ? Why don't you consider "server" gain ? Why every body wants to get rich fast ?

Do you know that each $ matters when paying for the server upkeep ?

So, what you propose is actually to totally ignore freecredits & subscriptions because you'd have a far better way to acquire GCs ?

In short : Good idea for personal gain . Crappy idea for game upkeep.

35 minutes ago, No one said:

In short : Good idea for personal gain . Crappy idea for game upkeep.

If turning 5+ Pure Gold (A resource that takes some time to mine due to rarity) and making it into 1 Gold Coin after 1-2 months of processing would "ruin" the economy, then I'm Glad I don't depend on it.

I'm not denying that it'll change the Market, it will. But to say it'll ruin it is assenine at best.

45 minutes ago, Fang Archbane said:

If turning 5+ Pure Gold (A resource that takes some time to mine due to rarity) and making it into 1 Gold Coin after 1-2 months of processing would "ruin" the economy, then I'm Glad I don't depend on it.

I'm not denying that it'll change the Market, it will. But to say it'll ruin it is assenine at best.

Let's take Eon for example. Pretend Eon is a lazy vet who somehow has access to lots of pure gold, maybe from some friends. He can sit in whatever location this processor is placed and log in only to load it and retrieve GCs. Eon has ~1630 AD, so divide by 60 days for two months, you get approximately 27 GCs that Eon might have gotten for "free" (without paying credits, voting for free credits or trading) through his lifetime. That's enough to buy a nice rare creature and still have something left over.

If I look at MD as a business, this would be a bad move.

Edited by Pipstickz

• Root Admin
49 minutes ago, Fang Archbane said:

Also turning pure gold into a coin makes no senses to make it two months, it would be more sensible to be an hour. If you are adding additional time and other stuff to try and balance something making it unrealistic (aka two months to smelt gold) it sugggests the original idea is OP to begin with, smelting may soon have a use for pure gold but I don't think it would be that.

if we try to be realistic then gold is gold and a nugget of gold is probably lots of cold coins. 

But if we think on an economy then gold coin does not even need to be made of gold... It's currency and only a official mint can make currency. 

Gold nuggets are just resources to sell to the mint maybe or for making gold statues of Miq

Edited by Miq

18 minutes ago, Miq said:

Gold nuggets are just resources to sell to the mint maybe or for making gold statues of *trout

:P

On topic;

Dont forget that powers such as revive, kill, etc would then become even easier than it already is. At least there's a kind of barrier for unlimited uses.

Edited by Aethon

19 minutes ago, Miq said:

Gold nuggets are just resources to sell to the mint maybe or for making gold statues of *trout

:P

Back on topic, don't forget things like kill/revive run off of gold as well. Having a limited amount of gold make a "sort of" barrier for using the items/abilities.

Edited by Aethon

7 hours ago, Pipstickz said:

Let's take Eon for example

I'll work with your example Pip. Someone had to mine the resources, which takes tools, time, and some luck. Someone had to trade said resources, which requires bargaining and initial tradeables. And someone had to spend the time to load/wait/retrieve said gold from the smelter.

So how is any of this free? I'm not saying the numbers are perfect, that's what the forum population is meant to help on. All I'm saying is, from my perspective, time = money, so if you spend your time making gold, it's only worth the time you spent to make it/market value X demand

46 minutes ago, Fang Archbane said:

'm not saying the numbers are perfect, that's what the forum population is meant to help on.

And that's what we're doing. We're saying it'd have detrimental effect on the market and also a negative outcome on the help towards server fees.

Edit: If you want to make money from the gold, why don't you just try bargaining with it and trying to increase it's worth somehow? I don't see many selling it and I definitely haven't seen an amount of coins:gold ratio yet.

Edited by Aethon

@Blackshade Rider, I was reading over this topic, and wanted to note that it's hard to comment on a suggestion if, when I go back to reread it, it's been deleted.

@Aethon, I'm not entirely convinced the value of silver would change in relation to gold. Economics is not my strong point, but I think many macro-economic principles, such as the supply and demand curve, are less certain at small scales. Humans aren't entirely rational, and besides, the main use of silver as it stands stems from it being worth less than gold. If gold and silver became more equal in value, we would no longer be able to divide the value of gold by substituting silver. Anyway, it would be interesting to see how changing the supply of gold in MD would effect things, now that 1:15 exchange rate is so ingrained in people's minds.

• Root Admin

i have strong reasons to believe that value of gold in report to silver is not something that will change easy if ever. Unlike currency, or other things in any economy, gold value here is not given just by its rarity.

Also, items requesting gold, as in "anything containing the word gold" is not a bug , is intended. Maybe it makes no much difference now, but it leave room for very interesting turn of situations.

I wonder (maybe someone knows), was inflation something that existed back when a gold coin was equal its gold value? if you know what i mean, i am curious..

19 hours ago, Muratus del Mur said:

I wonder (maybe someone knows), was inflation something that existed back when a gold coin was equal its gold value? if you know what i mean, i am curious..

Source

Increasing the money supply was not always the origin of inflation. In 1946 the United States proposed the Bretton Woods agreement that tied the value of the US dollar to gold. This “gold standard,” was introduced to cure inflation. Increasing the money supply during a “gold-standard” was no longer an option, as households would simply increase their demand for gold, and US currency would become worthless. In these times, inflations were a result of supply shocks, for example the discovery of new gold mines.  Although this led to frequent and volatile inflationary conditions, it did prevent long term high inflation. Many modern economists argue that we should revaluate the effectiveness of fiat money, and perhaps return to a gold standard to help curve inflation and improve stability.

I know this isn't exactly what you're asking, but I found this essay on the origin of inflation and skimmed around a bit. Wikipedia also has some interesting anecdote-y sounding explanations, one of which sounds more similar to what you're asking

For instance, when gold was used as currency, the government could collect gold coins, melt them down, mix them with other metals such as silver, copper or lead, and reissue them at the same nominal value. By diluting the gold with other metals, the government could issue more coins without also needing to increase the amount of gold used to make them. When the cost of each coin is lowered in this way, the government profits from an increase in seigniorage.

Currently, pure gold is worth nothing more then 1 gold, no matter the quantity you hold. Reviving / killing and using Pure gold will use the entire amount.

This way ... you have no reason to stockpile it thus the inflation is in check.

If , on the other had, you'd be able to directly convert it to Gold Coins .. then there is no point to stop gathering as you can always convert it to GCs .... thus an increase in GCs that has no real base for MD.

The only benefit for being able to trade Pure Gold for GCs ... is not the common player but for the veteran collectors as they already have stocks piled and have the skill to gather it faster.