Top compaints from Fangs Newbies

Fang Archbane

The one top complaint i have been hearing for the last two days, is why does it take 30 mins to make the first item.

The second top complaint, is why is it so unclear as to what to do.

Im not saying i agree or disagree... im just passing on their words to those that can do something about it.

Might i suggest that the Memory Stone compression be lowered to something reasonable... like 5 mins?

Apparently we only add insult to injury when they stay confused for 30 mins straight and just... wonder what to do next.

Edit: They feel very trapped. Most if not all of them simply want to explore the world i have painted in their minds.

Might i suggest we move Azull and all the newbies to the Paper Cabin from now on?

And give them the OPTION to either stay and learn, or leave and adventure?

We all learn in our own way, and apparently confusing them for the first 30 mins is not KEY to player conservation.

On 12/9/2017 at 12:56 PM, Chewett said:

>The one top complaint i have been hearing for the last two days, is why does it take 30 mins to make the first item.

Whats your answer to that?  What do you tell them about why it takes 30 minutes?

I tell them patience is key, and that this world harbors many worthwhile secrets if only they seek.

Yet now by your question i have to ask. Are we looking for new players, or VERY SPECIFIC new types of players.

Im simply trying to revive MD. What am i supposed to do when im not the coder, not on the island (And i dont want to be because i was booted) and theyre stuck there for 24 hours to a week before they get the chance to see mainland???

I was under the impression we were trying to revive MD. Not looking for the worlds most patient blind faith new age gamers. 

On 12/9/2017 at 1:04 PM, Nava said:

It's not about player conversation before player assessment.  They must learn that the answers are theirs to create.  Give them gentle guiding steps, or show proof of the power of the young one's subjective experiences and transformation into truths in MD.  It's about showing them the power of roleplay and helping them realize that the method they've accepted is but one way.

I have given gentle steps, tried to nurture their wisdom and patience, and yet... i repeat... confusing the new potential players and forcing them to wait 30 mins with no clear instructions as to how to get off the island is _apparantly_ not the best way to go about getting new players to stay.

Ill repeat my question once more. Are we looking for new players, or VERY SPECIFIC NEW PLAYERS.

On 12/9/2017 at 4:57 PM, Nava said:

Maybe both?  Maybe there are higher benefits for those that start on Gateway Island? Maybe the adventure can start in two ways.  However, to ensure the ones that start at the Paper Cabin aren't reckless, we should place guardians around the paper cabin and No Mans Land to assess them.

Quantity is important, yes, and we must remember that...but, we must refine the quantity into quality still.  It allows for more guardian roles centered around the youth.

We must make sure the new players see the power of roleplaying.

Im trying to save my game, im not about to be picky with the new potential player base.

I was a shit when i joined. A literal useless trouble making chaos starting fire sparking shit.

And yet

1) there is no right or wrong type of player for MD. so why are we looking for such NOW???
2) i was refined BY the game, IN the game, THROUGH its people. why cant we give Them that same chance?

If we get the quantity, the quality will surely follow. Im simply finding it very difficult to help, as things currently stand with the system, because as it is GateWay Island is pushing new players faaaaar far away from MD.

First day is vital. First hour key. The very first 5 mins are the lifeblood of MDs future.
So why do we keep them confused and demand SO MUCH???

On 12/9/2017 at 5:13 PM, Nava said:

I identify with them too.

I believe both ways are important.  Let the player choose, it's their adventure.  We serve them and they serve us.  However, guardians must be active near both starting point.  They don't necessarily need to be limited in movement or ability to see that it's in their power to unlimit themselves...however...it's an important lesson for our children...in all the worlds they live in.

What they need is more guidance...guidance that shows them that the restrictions they see are merely suggestions and the power to persevere is in their hands.  Look to the Gateway meeting log about chained-quests.  Someone hovered or floated to the mainland themselves. 

We must inspire creativity.  For us, and for them.  Through perseverance and proper guidance we can have both quantity and quality.

Why? Because current members want that, and EVERY member matters.  My personal opinions are second to what I'm writing.  We must consider every member, old and new.

Drop the GateWay Island starting point.
Move all guardians, newbies, and future players to the Paper Cabin.
Here they will have access to all players aid, and all free range adventure.

Give them the OPTION to either stay and learn in the PC, or leave and explore.
If these things are done, i can do the rest. If they are not, i can not do much more.

On 12/9/2017 at 5:24 PM, Nava said:

It's not being dropped.

It's a beautiful place with work put into it, and it's fun.  We are giving two options.  Maybe disclosures should be given for each spot with what to expect, what you may be missing out on, etc.  Take your concerns and have them mold into the current framework.  You have my support with whatever you do, but I will speak up if I disagree.

Im not saying give up on GateWay Island, it has massive potential.

Im saying it cant be where they start. Or they will regret it and leave the game as soon as they click that option.

Edit: Mallos made a fair point late last night. Why not have the new players start at the PC as MP3, go to GateWay as soon as they hit MP4, and then come back to the mainland once they choose to do so, in their own time, of their own free will.

In this way, theyd be tested with patience, but only after having met a few in game people, having grown, having INVESTED themselves so to speak, into the game.

Instead of throwing them into deep waters right from the start, watching them drown, and then blaming THEM for not being calm or knowing how to swim.

On 12/9/2017 at 5:34 PM, Nava said:

I agree with the MP3 MP4 idea.  However, the illusion of confinement on GW island is fun in my opinion.  They still must learn about the power of creativity and thinking outside the box and GW is a great place for that. The guardians will decide when they're ready to leave GW island.

Key words being in your opinion. And in my opinion as i would heavily agree.

But we are of a different caliber. We are of a different breed.

We can NOT both try to save MD, AND be picky about the players we bring in.

Quality will follow quantity over time. As we all did. Give them what We once Had.

• Root Admin

How could a new player make a differnce or chose between staying and learning as you call it and going and exploring? They take what is presented to them. 

The gateway island purpose has several purposes. It sepparates the chaotic and open end world on the mainland and gives a more personal experience by interacting with the guardians.

The reg times could be lowered, i might do so.. But not 5min

I dont say things are good as they are..no no.. But the suggestions i read here are not what i have in mind

Regardless how difficult it will be i want to stick with the initial plan to make a layered experience before the free range one on the mainland.

The experience doesn't consist of a storyline..but on different SORT of activity on each layer. 

Combats will probably be introduced earier on the island

I know there are many things missing in there ..but starting at the pc makes no sense for me.

I appreciate a lot that so many care about this subject.

17 hours ago, Muratus del Mur said:

The reg times could be lowered, i might do so.. But not 5min

I dont say things are good as they are..no no.. But the suggestions i read here are not what i have in mind

Mur what do you think about a riddle or puzzle on that item? something like this:

a Player has the choice to do a puzzle/riddle there

• if the player doesnt do the puzzle/riddle the timer stays the same
  • the correct answer decreases the time to wait
  • the wrong answer increases it.

This way you teach players that their actions matter

• Root Admin

Its an interesting ideea ..but it is not something i can do with the current tools and building new features is stupid right now wheb so many are unused yet.

But i get the genwral ideea of what you mean.

I am delaying a bit altering the timers because i might have an alternative that might apply to many other situations where waiting is involved.

Something else.. About bringing basic fights to the island.. I think its good..in one of the closed places of the island. ..but i don't want crit recruiting..i want something more personal like crits given by guardians. I am not sure we have enough people for such a thing there..but what do you think?

>>>>>>Something else.. About bringing basic fights to the island.. I think its good..in one of the closed places of the island. ..but i don't want crit recruiting..i want something more personal like crits given by guardians. I am not sure we have enough people for such a thing there..but what do you think?

I think 5 or 6 mp7s on the island would help in training. Each guardian has a different fighting level. So the newbie can try different battle settings ECT. 

However I also think it would be good to let a newbie cap at mp3 on the island , so at mp4 on the mainland they can at least have a new experience and be able to play with their active heat.