Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MagicDuel Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Images

Ivorak

Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ivorak

  1. I've edited the doc with the rest of your comments and I also realized along the way why you were repeating things I had already fixed, when I edited the first post to replace the Google Drive link with a TitanPad link, I replaced the text but not the reference... I've fixed that now, sorry. The doc you should be looking at is https://titanpad.com/A2GfPvEanN. Judge is a group tag, but an important one. Should it be kept?
  2. I will respond / edit the doc for each post shortly, but there are a few important issues to be sorted out. I'll explain the problems which lead to this messiness and then you can correct me or suggest fixes. 1. Mur wants existing tags to become titles, so some shoehorning of old roles into the new hierarchy may be necessary. 2. I need to check this with Mur, but I don't think council can be an authority because it's not an individual and the individuals who it consists of are secret. 3. Alliance leaders should come from kings/land leaders, unless that the alliance has no higher authority. 4. If all miscellaneous tags come from Mur or the Council, that doesn't allow for one of the primary goals of the titles, which is a self emergent hierarchy in the realm. 5. All titles that don't come directly from Mur are required to have two signators (a granting authority and a confirming authority). If I didn't include two above it's because I couldn't think of a suitable authority (as you've noticed, I should have written in a lot more nulls). The whole title system is a mess because it needs to take in account existing systems, and because it doesn't represent purely political roles (otherwise we'd just go kings as the first tier and then on down). For example, Avatar Manager might have a granting authority who has the role of Master Artist but there is no Master Artist. I'm glad you brought this up. I tried asking the council about this and never got a response so I instead "confirmed" with a poll of some citizens. I should definitely have gone to you but lost track of that thought in the shuffle of everything else. Keep the comments coming.
  3. I swapped the Google Drive link with a TitanPad link. Please avoid editing the TitanPad directly and instead leave comments in this forum thread. Ary's title has been removed. Shadowseeker has been removed as an authority on Rikstar's title. BFH has been removed whereover he was listed as an authority. Keep the comments coming!
  4. I need you to do the following: 1. If you are listed as a granting authority or confirming authority, for all such titles post whether or not you are willing to take a part in the granting of that title. 2. Note any errors/discrepancies in titles/tags. 3. Suggest a different granting authority/confirming authority if there is a more suitable role. Null values are only permitted if Mur is the granting authority. 4. Suggest further titles to be granted. This list is still incomplete. (There are about 200 titles to be given out, this list currently only has 50 listed. I thought I'd post before I went to bed.) One way to help is to confirm activity/tag text for the players listed (or not listed) here: https://titanpad.com/OR5EOoBWdW At this time, avoid voting on who should or should not receive titles. Each title shall be put to a vote, to be considered by Mur, but we'll hold that off a little longer so we can do it in a more organized fashion. View the list here: https://titanpad.com/A2GfPvEanN. Please avoid editing the document directly and instead leave comments in this forum thread. When I have more time I will provide other lists based on this data to make sorting through it easier. Edit: my previous edit to replace the Google Docs link with TitanPad, replaced the text but kept the same href in the hyperlink. Oops.
  5. I actually suggested that to Mur as pertaining to your title, but Mur responded "that's not really an achievement". But I assume you got it for something, so perhaps you could remind him of that something? On another note, leaders of alliances who have been at the role for a while should probably receive titles. Though the alliances are mostly under the authority of one land or another so that should already be covered by their respective kings, right?
  6. @dst, Dark Demon has actually somewhat clarified Mur's intent. Though I must add that it's not a straight vote, Mur will have the final word on these matters. @Burns, Granos was actually on my original list of possibilities and I lost his name in the shuffle. @Dark Demon, if you think names on the list are inactive, please list them, so others can discuss and we can cross them off. Though some may go on a separate list to be awarded if they return later.
  7. Correct. And yes, the list is a bit confused because, for instance, it might make more sense for Innocence to receive her title via Kyphis and darkraptor (provided she gets one at all). Edit: To clarify not so much "who will give out titles..." but "who do you think should be able to give out titles..." In other words, I not asking Mur, I'm asking this for Mur.
  8. The granting of titles/roles will soon be accompanied by a quality physical document, a collector's item as described in this topic: http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/15247-important-future-way-of-granting-titlesroles/. Additionally, future titles will not be awarded solely by Mur or the Council but in a hierarchical fashion. For example, Mur will be awarding titles to the kings and other land leaders, and those land leaders may in turn grant titles to those with roles pertaining to their respective lands. It's comparable to the feudal system where a king may award a faithful follower with the title and authority of a lord, and that lord may in turn knight his men, to serve him as he himself serves his liege. Of course, in MD there is less of a notion of noble blood and fewer political structures (and a greater sense of merit); a "Master Artist" might have the same authority to grant titles as a king, albeit under a different dominion. A "Master Artist" might award the title "Avatar Manager" whereas a king would be more likely to award a title related to the management of his own land. Unfortunately, I've been unable to come up with a suitable candidate for "Master Artist", which brings us to the purpose of this thread: "Who deserves the authority to award titles?" and, to a lesser degree, "Who deserves a title?" Mur will have the final say regarding the first question, while the second question will be mostly left to those whose names are an answer to the first. The list below is provided not as an indication of who will be awarded titles, except as a rough sketch. Please comment on the list provided and suggest additions. Keep in mind that to receive a title a player must be currently active (though we will maintain a list of those who may be awarded if they reappear) and should have a specific concrete role for the title. Without further ado, my draft list (in no particular order): *Chewett* - Code Guardian, etc. *Grido* - Head LHO, King of Golemus Golemicarum Kyphis - MDA Chancellor darkraptor - MDA Chancellor dst - Leader of the Underground, Bugs, etc. *Burns* - DracHorn Master Shadowseeker - Researcher Princ Rhaegar - King of Marind Bell Azull - King of Necrovion *Peace* - Queen of Necrovion Zleiphneir - Tengri, Defenders of Bob Eon - Legendary Fighter, Assassin/Executioner Mya Celestia - Consul of Loreroot *Sunfire* - Consul of Loreroot (inactive according to http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/15604-time-for-a-break/#entry153211) Nimrodel - Quest Organizer Awiiya - Rooted Philosopher Neno Veliki - Avatar Manager Fire Starter - Avatar Manager BFH - Master Advertiser Pipstickz - Treasure Keepers Max Mortlock - Treasure Keepers Innocence - Head of the Archivists It's a bit rough, I'm already catching errors or flaws in reasoning I haven't addressed, but that should help you get started in tearing it apart. In a constructive fashion, I hope. :) P.S. Land leaders, please don't forget the related forum PM I should have sent to all of you.
  9. I am compiling an initial list for Mur of those who should be able to grant titles. To that end, it would be helpful if this topic was further considered and commented on. I will be send Mur my list soon, he may strike from or add to the list some names, and then it will be presented for public comment. It includes mainly land leaders and some other key figures (Chewett, Grido, etcetera). What I feel I'm lacking most at this time are players who have important and well defined roles that are independent from the four main lands (those who are citizens of the main lands will be awarded titles through their sovereign).
  10. ADD "Request for comment" or something along those lines, as there are a number of announcements, often referring to forum posts, asking for feedback/ideas regarding a certain topic.
  11. A key that locks/unlocks the cellar door in MDA.
  12. Some thoughts about how lands should operate: Lands should organize activities and quests. Some (but not all) of these should be for citizens only. Quests need not only be solved by more or less predefined paths. Leaders could award bounties for non-citizen outlaws, for one. Citizen only quests should be awarded from land treasuries rather than with wishpoints and the treasure keepers' stock. There is also the opportunity to award ranks and titles instead of other rewards. There should be more opportunities for lands to increase their treasuries through competition amongst the lands. Leaders should have great power over their land's citizens. They should also exert their influence to punish/reward citizens of other lands as they are able. These powers should stop short of life and death (at least as far as powers inherent to leaders; still doesn't prevent them from using a killing item if they can get a hold of one). But land leaders should be able to jail their own citizens (unless a certain degree of dissent is registered by the rebel system). Leaders should extract a vow of fealty from their vassals (unless an explicit political structure is in place that offers an alternative). Leaders should protect their citizens from each other especially, but also seek out treaties and agreements with other leaders for the laws that are most important to their land. Lands should cultivate their culture carefully. Land powers should be somewhat balanced, but in a dynamic fashion and allowing leaders and citizens to be rewarded for their efforts by improvements to a land. Traditions and laws are what should make one land more desirable than another. Entry (AP) requirements for lands should not be equal just because of a desire for equality. There are advantages/disadvantages for both low and high AP costs. Leaders should be able to decide which is most suitable for their land. More plotting, please! What's the point of controlling a few dozen scenes when you could rule the world? Intrigue is fun, duh. Also, internal politics. If MagicDuel grows again, Golemus Golemicarum should have a tricameral legislature and Necrovion should have faction upon faction of desert tribes. Or something like that... Some ideas: benefits to internal trade, such as creature trades between citizens of the same land not reducing won battles or something; citizen only training grounds (though it's up to you to keep non-citizens out); mock battles/tournaments/competitions between lands with wagers to bolster the winning land's treasury (or wager a scene along the border, if you're feeling daring). I'll think on this more.
  13. I'm not sure if there is a suitable leader for the Archive Lands at this time. (Or is Kyphis around? He would be a suitable candidate.) But the Archive lands are dear to my heart, and I fear what would happen to them in the hands of someone inept; this is my claim to leadership: As "Chancellor of the MagicDuel Archives"* I will work towards the following goals: Setting directives for the Archivists A census of those who consider themselves citizens of the MDA A restructuring of http://md-archives.com/ (I realize Inno has started a project related to this, but ze lacks the technical skills to pull it off) Reviving the directive of the legend speakers (if not the guild) Creating better systems and tools for recording happenings of note Taking those notes and creating more context and critical discourse around them * The title Chancellor describes a figure of great power, often meaning the head of state, but also has been used in ecclesiastical and educational contexts. I think this title indicates the power to direct future endeavors through setting policy as well as respect for traditions and history.
  14. This is great, No One, and I can't believe I forgot about it after first reading it. Two quibbles for starters: "Voodoo dolls", if implemented, should be called something else, perhaps"effigies". "Voodoo" is too specific to a real world culture. Some further thought might be prudent before implementing anything to do with having creatures labor. I remember Mur writing about how creatures were not physical beings (http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/186-what-are-the-creatures-that-fight-for-you/) but a sort of spirit that we formed a symbiotic relationship with. Then again, the DracHorns in their lair look pretty real to me, as do the Empty Aramors clambering around Golemus Golemicarum (on yet another hand, I'm not sure of the relationship between Aramors and Empty Aramors). If creatures aren't physical, they can still possibly be treated as if they imbue us with the the skill or knowledge for crafting certain items, but sacrificing them should only yield fenths and not bones.
  15. Rookie of the year: Rophs
  16. I strongly believe that the best quests augment players' roles. They're not just challenges, they fit in with the fabric of this realm. As long as Rophs is not directly gaining tangible benefits like gold, items, or creatures, a quest like this should actually be encouraged.
  17. Are you saying that the ship could have circled around Golemus Golemicarum? (I don't think that's what that language means. From could be a guess based on observation, but I think it's more likely that 'from' indicates origin. I could be wrong.) Or are you suggesting that it's possible that the ship had a non-terrestrial origin? Either way, I support exploration. Rophs, in my old age I'm not as sprite as I used to be, so I likely won't be joining you in on the high seas, but I might consider sponsoring an expedition in return for a share of potential spoils. Come talk to me when you need funds.
  18. Ivorak replied to Sunfire's topic in General Forum
    But Sunfire, as Rophs pointed out earlier, anyone can do this. While being a protector gives you a few more spells to cast, there's really no point to it unless you use it to some end. So I'll repeat the question in my own words: why you? Do you seek to overturn a delinquent king? Do you wish to see the empty aramors free? Or would you rather control them yourself (as suggested in Ann. 773)? Do you want to bring back the sparring grounds? Would you consort with shades? Or rain fire upon Loreroot? Summon homunculi? Raise a skeletal army? Hang Jester by his toes? These are but examples. But what I'm saying (and this is something I've discussed with Change and other protectors in the past) is that I want protectors to have a motive. You're not here to be a glorified LHO or something, but a leader of a faction. It's not all about what you can do for everyone else. There's that, but it's got to be give and take. I implore you, do something interesting.
  19. Thanks folks! I just noticed that this birthday o' mine coincides with another mini milestone in MD: I've reached 1900 AD. Hopefully I'll be here for many more.
  20. Pamplemousse Funny story: I once misused a preposition in front of Pample, resulting in the first time I've ever been scolded for poor grammar in an online game. Whenever I think of leaving MD this memory brings me back.
  21. It has been two weeks since the volition skill was announced. Mur would like to know how much of the skill you've built up in that time. Whoever sees this post is asked to reply with your active days, total volition, and whether or not you've tried increase/grind the skill (yes or no). This will help determine how many points are required for item creation, a related feature to be implemented in the future. I'll start: AD: 1864 Volition: 2.06 Grinding?: No

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.