What Are You Reading?

MRHoly One

"[i][url="http://www.amazon.com/Chalice-Robin-McKinley/dp/0441018742/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274984821&sr=8-2"]Chalice[/url][/i]" by Robin McKinley. I'd highly suggest her work, especially this new one. Her stories are very subtle, and often days after reading it, you'll suddenly be somewhere completely random and have an epiphany of some sort about a story element.

Perhaps it is very 'MD' in that sense. :P

Edited by Aysun

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Burns' date='09 June 2010 - 01:33 PM' timestamp='1276090422' post='61456']
Not exactly new anymore, but i just got my (german) copy yesterday:

Stephen King, Under the Dome
[/quote]

burns, that is a great book, i just finished it, literally, last week.

Edited by MRHoly One

Divine Misdemeanors by Laurell K. Hamilton. :) Her writing style is similar to that of Anne Rice and Kelley Armstrong but the subject matter she chooses may not be suited for everyone. Either way she produces some very interesting books.

Edited by Amoran Kalamanira Kol

• 1 month later...

whoaaa so many books...and i know some of them as well :ph34r:
I think i'll read some of them :D
Btw someone said something about [b][/b]Garth Nix and his books...I have 2 of them [b][/b]Sabriel and [b][/b]Lirael...i still wait for Abhorsen...

but, other books that i red are about magic, adventures and fantasy :D I L.O.V.E those kind of books :D

One of them i still like very much is "The Alchemist" by Michael Scott and also "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho :D

read it, they're great books :D

Edited by Allyce

[quote name='Allyce' date='05 August 2010 - 02:55 PM' timestamp='1281009326' post='65124']
One of them i still like very much is "The Alchemist" by Michael Scott and also "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho :D

read it, they're great books :D
[/quote]

lol in Romania we call Coelho "literatura de aprozar", which would translate to "greengrocer's literature", but lose some of the humour in translation - the idea being that they should sell Coelho at greengrocers, since only housewives read his books :ph34r:

Edited by Totenkopf

[quote name='Totenkopf' date='05 August 2010 - 03:32 PM' timestamp='1281015152' post='65143']
lol in Romania we call Coelho "literatura de aprozar", which would translate to "greengrocer's literature", but lose some of the humour in translation - the idea being that they should sell Coelho at greengrocers, since only housewives read his books :ph34r:
[/quote]
I guess that is the equivalent of the dutch term 'stationsroman' or 'railway station novel'?
- A light novel without literary ambition, strictly for entertainment, usually romantic and/or adventurous, often chosen as a pass-time by travelers.

I'll admit you can read Coelho's 'The Alchemist' strictly for entertainment; it reads very quickly and is very cheerful. The message might be a simple one, it is nonetheless a valid one. Certainly in this day and age.

• Root Admin

[quote name='Allyce' date='05 August 2010 - 12:55 PM' timestamp='1281009326' post='65124']
Btw someone said something about [b][/b]Garth Nix and his books...I have 2 of them [b][/b]Sabriel and [b][/b]Lirael...i still wait for Abhorsen...
[/quote]

Ah you HAVE to read the final one, i thought it was really good!... but then i thought the other two were really good ;)

Recently iv read Digital fortress by Dan Brown, Very intresting in regards to Encryption and such.

I've read Digital Fortress some years ago. Interesting indeed.
The alchemist - Cohelio....<insert puking emoticon here >.
I've read the first 3 books from Asimov's Foundation. And I have the last book of the prequels for Dune just waiting for me ;). yay!

You need...a walkthrough for zelda game? Shame.

Something I haven't seen yet..I don't think anyone will mention either, because I think it is a german book.

Maerchenmond. By Hohlbein.

I could list quite a few more, but I admit the Askir series got me hooked right now, by Richard Schwartz.

[quote name='Tarquinus' date='05 August 2010 - 11:39 PM' timestamp='1281040740' post='65181']
Recently finished [i]The Third Policeman[/i] by Flann O'Brien.
[/quote]

is it as awesome as swim2birds? ;)

It's more surreal. I liked it more than [i]At Swim-Two-Birds[/i], which was over my head in a lot of places (though damned funny). [i]Third Policeman[/i] is strange and cerebral, but equally humorous.

Edited by Tarquinus

[quote name='Tarquinus' date='06 August 2010 - 01:21 AM' timestamp='1281046889' post='65197']
It's more surreal. I liked it more than [i]At Swim-Two-Birds[/i], which was over my head in a lot of places (though damned funny). [i]Third Policeman[/i] is strange and cerebral, but equally humorous.
[/quote]

wow, i really have to read it then - it didn't even cross my mind that the guy might've written another book :(
a few years back when i was urging friends and co-workers to read it (surprisingly few of whom actually did), i had coined the phrase "joyous jaunts from Joyce on joints" to describe it :))

Edited by Chewett
Removed certain something and pm'ed toten

My friends bought me a couple of books while I was living out in California and they are pretty much the only books I have access to at the moment

Death of a Dissident, The poisoning of Alexander Litvinko and the return of the KGB-by Alex Goldfarb

The Secret Man, The story of Watergate's deep throat-by Bob Woodward.

I prefer dissident more for some reason but anyone interested in conspiracy theories or political intrigue should check them out