Issue With Captchas

Grido

I have an issue with the new captchas on log in, that being that quite a few of them i can barely (if at all) read,

I got several wrong when trying to log in earlier, and i was squinting to try and see better...

I understand why they're there, to prevent prorammes from logging in for people, but when the people can't log in easily for themselves?

• Root Admin

Although i admire this new attempt to stop robots. I am having issues filling in the Captchas.

Most of the time the letters are partially off the screen (the second letter being half missing so impossible to read) and that they sometimes merge into the background really well.

Basicly you are saying "if you are colorblind or dont have good eyesight we dont want you"

And thats not a good message when 1 in 12 men have some form of color Blindness.

• Root Admin

I was thinking about the color blind issue ...
but, what should i do, make it less safe and HOPE whoever will abuse it will be so kind and think also of the color blind? Maybe try cracking only the hard to crack captchas out of kindness? Chewett, you know what i am talking about, you managed to crack the previous ones in one day and you are not a professional so to speak.

i understand the color blindness is the only problem? i need to understand more about it, if i make the bg greyscle but the letters colored will there still be a problem? the contrast is the one that should be kept similar.

since you are complaining about this, any o you can read the google captcha? because i can only 1 in 10 tries. I am asking seriously to understand if it is a problem of shape of letters or just the color mixing with the bg. Are the captchas that use the background with lines visible? (as opposed to those using colored squares)

i'm not colourblind, but i still struggle to read it, the colours are too similar that i can't distinguish between them and the background

i take it your suggestion is that the letters are coloured and the background is greys? should make the letters stand out if that's the case, so it would be easier to read

I know that lots of sites have audio captchas that go along with the visual ones...

Edit: Perhaps just have a check for actual activity? For example, check if x has logged in every day for the last month. If yes, check if x has moved much in the last month. If no, alert Mur.

Edited by Pipstickz

I would like to point out that you can always fresh a page to get a different Captcha if you are having problems viewing the current one.

I have found several I had to zoom in to see clearer but none that I have mistaken.

Just throwing that out there, you know, just in case.

A simple point, Which deters more people an annoying captcha or a few bots?
I am slightly color blind so this new captcha does really annoy me.

(also for the people who would and can use bots it is rather obvious.)

Just my opinion.

Edited by That Other Guy

[color="#8B0000"][font="Palatino Linotype"]If it was a word instead of just 2 something, that might make it a bit better. Perhaps the background could be colored and the numbers gray or vice versa. It's rare that someone is completely color blind. Red/Green color blind is most common then Blue/Yellow.

I was having trouble with them earlier today. I was sure I had at least one combo right, but it took 5 tries. An orange number on an orange color piece just isn't readable. [/font][/color]

I'm having problems as well. I was doing well until yesterday, but it seems there is a new set of captchas and they are almost unreadable (actually, they are). I'm not colorblind, but it took me quite a few number of refreshes until I find something I actually have a chance of guessing.

i got it in 2 tries and i just woke up and havent had my coffee. although i did look closer and blink several times to the glare of the monitor which isnt healthy btw. so yeah coloured letters over grey background or the opposite would do wonders!

It is easy to add a button that lets you load a new (a hopefully readabile) image, and possibly even an audio option.
Would this make things better?

However, it is better if the image can be readable enough not to need a reload, otherwise it is just getting in the was of humans.

I have to agree, it took me three tries to enter 2 letters the capcha considered correct. The new colored ones are very unfriendly.

Is MD really being taken over by robots?

I guess the question is how unfriendly can the portal be without further damaging MD for the sole purpose to help deflect robots? When hackers who actually want to crack the capcha can crack it?

Cutler

[quote name='Rendril' date='16 August 2010 - 09:58 AM' timestamp='1281945510' post='66299']
It is easy to add a button that lets you load a new (a hopefully readabile) image, and possibly even an audio option.
Would this make things better?

However, it is better if the image can be readable enough not to need a reload, otherwise it is just getting in the was of humans.
[/quote]

I don't seen the purpose of a button that reloads the captchas, because when I tried to enter it, it will automatically gets renewed when entered wrong. I do as well don´t really seen and issue of those kind of unfriendly captchas. The colormixing makes it really worse.

Edited by Blackwoodforest

[quote name='Blackwoodforest' date='16 August 2010 - 02:16 AM' timestamp='1281946587' post='66303']
I don't seen the purpose of a button that reloads the captchas, because when I tried to enter it, it will automatically gets renewed when entered wrong. I do as well don´t really seen and issue of those kind of unfriendly captchas. The colormixing makes it really worse.
[/quote]
The reload button would be so you don't have to enter your username and password five times.

• Root Admin

[quote name='Muratus del Mur' date='16 August 2010 - 01:07 AM' timestamp='1281917263' post='66275']
I was thinking about the color blind issue ... but, what should i do, make it less safe and HOPE whoever will abuse it will be so kind and think also of the color blind? Maybe try cracking only the hard to crack captchas out of kindness? Chewett, you know what i am talking about, you managed to crack the previous ones in one day and you are not a professional so to speak.
i understand the color blindness is the only problem? i need to understand more about it, if i make the bg greyscle but the letters colored will there still be a problem? the contrast is the one that should be kept similar.since you are complaining about this, any o you can read the google captcha? because i can only 1 in 10 tries. I am asking seriously to understand if it is a problem of shape of letters or just the color mixing with the bg. Are the captchas that use the background with lines visible? (as opposed to those using colored squares)
[/quote]

Full greyscale is not needed as Mya pointed out its normally colors red/blue. I had real issues when some of the text was pinky with that colorful background.

I shall email you about my other opinions.

• Root Admin

i think changing the colored squares bg to something else and adding a (reload) link next to it will make things a little bit better. The rotation of the letters is enough protection to increase a bit the contrast between the letters and the bg.

The captcha will not revert to what it was, that version is way to abusable.