Return to Papercabin

Muratus del Mur

• Root Admin

I would like to ask you (all) about what you think to have a permanent jump to papercabin link in the interface. The link, unlike the meeting links, will have following properties:

People that won't be able to use it:
those with the word "jail" in their tag
those in locations marked as 'no jump'
those under movelock spell
those in story mode
those in tutorial chapter

Think about it, write short and to the point. Consider the major gameplay implications this will have on the gameplay, because they will be major. It will change the 'fluidity' of movement in such a way that it will drag you back to the papercabin, leaving GOE for other meetings. It will still be more time consuing to move deeper in the realm but it will be easy to get out, if stuck, or if mored in deeper places. There might be reasons to this i am not willing to detail at this point, because they might be very well wrong, so i will wait to see your opinion on this. The bad parts i see so far would be that it will discourage people from building roles deeper in the realm because everything will suddenly seem "far from the papercabin". A similar feel grew slowly around the "send to gazebo" ability i believe.

Is it good to allow anyone to jump back? will this make exploring less dangerous so to speak? (getting stuck or lost)

[b]UPDATES / SUGESTIONS:[/b]

- enable during tranquility day only
- if player has citizenship it will show jump to a dedicated location within the land that player belongs to (only there not to pc anymore)

(hit and run no longer an issue due to tranquility day)

I think it's nice to have this option, because if somebody ever gets lost then they can always hit the "panic" button and jump to a place that's familiar, but probably not home. The idea of having an instant "jump home" feature seems a bit too much, but this "jump to paper cabin" would be really useful if, for example, somebody is trapped in the labyrinth. Also, it means people can get to public meetings held there much more quickly.

It would seem fitting to have this ability available for mp3 players since they might inadvertently get lost/stuck in the labyrinth and/or Tribunals (and have a harder time getting out because of lower APs).

But for an mp4+ player, it should be known by then that there are 'risks' that come along with venturing into harder to access places. Part of being an adventurer is taking risks. And risks have consequences (and benefits). And, having a free unlimited travel back to PC would make things (like the labyrinth) less risky, and probably have deleterious effects on the concept of viscosity.

Just a few thoughts...

Edited by Phantom Orchid

I like to think MD is all about exploring and take some risks.. so i don't like much the idea.

Anyway, would like to sugest that the link could only appear when a player is stalled at some location without way to leave. This meaning current move cost > max player ap + 20 (free credits)

Trying to keep it short:

positive:
- It will draw more attention to the Papercabin, the first place where you enter MD.
- It helps if you are stuck somewhere.

negative:
- Most people will use it just as a short cut.
- It will make hit-and-run tactics even more simple.

possible variations:
- set a limit (like only once or twice a day).
- come with a high price (like set AP to -100 or get automatic movelock).

Perhaps, rather than jump to PC. It's relevant to homeland.

No Homeland: Paper Cabin
Established Housings: Path of Loneliness
Marind Bell: Willow's Shop
Loreroot: Oak Fort
Golemus Golemicarum: Kelle'tha's Cannon
Necrovion: Accursed Growth
Underground: Underway Crosspaths
Magic Duel Archives: Gazeebo of Silence
Labyrinth: 6_-3x-3_1
Tribunal: Melody Staircase

Just some suggestions, tried to keep locations as places that cannot already be teleported to (to my knowledge), that would be useful to people with roles around the land. In the case of Labyrinth, the amount of AP required to get from 6_-3x-3_1 to both the start and finish of the maze is equal (discounting viscosity). Not sure if that's a spoiler or not.

Edited by The Warrior

I don't really like the idea of a permanent jump to PC button, for all the above stated reasons. If it were to be implented it should come at a high cost (like your max ap), and be limited to one use per month or so, to prevent it from becomming a shortcut back to be used whenever you feel like it.
Also I think it would be best to have only one button towards the papercabin and not a button for every land.

[quote name='The Warrior' timestamp='1320705195' post='95448']
Perhaps, rather than jump to PC. It's relevant to homeland.

No Homeland: Paper Cabin
Established Housings: Path of Loneliness
Marind Bell: Willow's Shop
Loreroot: Oak Fort
Golemus Golemicarum: Kelle'tha's Cannon
Necrovion: Accursed Growth
Underground: Underway Crosspaths
Magic Duel Archives: Gazeebo of Silence
Labyrinth: 6_-3x-3_1
Tribunal: Melody Staircase

Just some suggestions, tried to keep locations as places that cannot already be teleported to (to my knowledge), that would be useful to people with roles around the land. In the case of Labyrinth, the amount of AP required to get from 6_-3x-3_1 to both the start and finish of the maze is equal (discounting viscosity). Not sure if that's a spoiler or not.
[/quote]
I like this suggestion more. So long as it is outside willows shop

Although, there are other places that shouldn't be able to be jumped from, such as the Tunnel of War (which could simply be made a no jump location, if it isn't already)

Edited by Kyphis the Bard

If is to be implemented..

To me the link makes little sense in terms of RP.. what's a "link" anyway?

Since the proposed feature is a spell why should it not work like one? and maybe have limited casts..

If it would be a feature intended to everybody then everybody got one.. (free or not)

I know that there can be a heat problem at some mp levels when it cames to cast but i'm sure the problem could be solved.

I like the idea in general.

What if the link only shows up in scenes where the highest AP exit of that scene (standard AP +viscosity) is greater than max AP? And using it consumes all AP. Also, the location(s) should be non-sanctuary location(s )(outside Paper Cabin or the roof).

As a 15 day old MP 3 my point of view is that it helps people with low AP out. I'm at 107 so in MDA, Underground, etc. I get 2 moves before I'm locked in place. MP 3's are not doing "hit and run" on anyone. We are not part of Alliances or heavily involved in politics. We are just learning this world and trying to explore it.

I'm in favor of a 2-3 a day limit for MP 3.

Then make it special days for MP 4 but also limited uses and zero for MP 5 or above.

Inqr

[color=#008080][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]An original suggestion was once a week, but DoT is less frequent which is better. It would save others from rescuing people because they were asleep when a meeting ended (like the last land meeting). It would also help newbies that wander into the maze. Regardless of the apparent ease this presents, people will generally try to get out of their stuck situation. [/font][/color]

[color=#008080][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]I'm not convinced it will stop people from exploring. If anything it may encourage further exploration. Younger players may try to get deeper into Tribunal knowing that they have an out in a realistic time frame. It would give non-alliance people a "jump" option. The non-alliance people are the ones that would benefit most from this.[/font][/color]

[quote name='DarkRaptor' timestamp='1320711608' post='95460']
Since the proposed feature is a spell why should it not work like one? and maybe have limited casts..

If it would be a feature intended to everybody then everybody got one.. (free or not)
[/quote]

I think the problem with that DarkRaptor is that you can target spells on others, and the teleport spells can be cast on you from anywhere.
Meaning mass teleportation pranks would be a whole lot more common. The link allows people to chose exactly when [i]they [/i]want to teleport. Of course, the parameters of the spell could always be changed but as it is now it wouldn't work.

I support it only being active on Tranquility Days. That should stem the worst of the problems that come with it being active constantly or weekly and still allow people who are well and truly trapped a chance to free themselves. It would also allow the Realm to congregate easier on Days of Tranquility, which I always thought was sort of the purpose of such days.

I don't think it should be limited to specific mind powers. If you're going to give it to almost everyone, you may as well give it to everyone. Maybe you could have a temporary link back to the Paper Cabin for players under a week old while they orient themselves, but that's really as far as I would take it.

Just my two cents.

I would like the idea only if it were usable on tranquility days. That or have it be a very limited spell cast, 1 spell per person, usable without needing heat (for mp3 or players stuck without heat), and only usable on yourself. I think the reason it would be better as a spell is so that players may choose when to cast it, not just on tranquility days.

Edited by Falronn

Same as Ero. Unless it's wanted that people can jump back whenever they want, I would suggest limiting the use at 1 per week. It would be a good idea to have it available as a spell "Jump to paper cabin". That would make a good introduction to Outer Magic to the new players. That spell could even be granted during story mode, to make it like an official step towards the mechanism of the realm.

I would however keep the "meeting buttons" as we had during Halloween: this one allows smooth jump back and forth multiple times, which was particularly appreciated for Halloween.

I am more cautious about the suggestion to jump to a location in our homeland. That would give a huge advantage to inhabitants of remote lands, qwhich is already granted through Land loyalty points. Jumping to the start of the story (same for all) seems more logical to me.

This pretty much sums up my opinion. Overall, in general, I think it is a bad idea. Movement around the realm should be slightly limited with Viscosity and AP and such. However, there are times when it's really really useful, and for new players, such a link on a limited basis would be a god-send when they get in trouble trying to "explore and learn" about MD and don't yet understand the mechanics of viscosity and/or the Gates AP costs.

[quote name='Phantom Orchid' timestamp='1320704176' post='95444']
It would seem fitting to have this ability available for mp3 players since they might inadvertently get lost/stuck in the labyrinth and/or Tribunals (and have a harder time getting out because of lower APs).

But for an mp4+ player, it should be known by then that there are 'risks' that come along with venturing
[/quote]

[quote name='Rhaegar Targaryen' timestamp='1320704210' post='95445']
Perhaps, limit it to one cast per month... With a warning that it is only for emergencies, when you click it. (only because of the newbs that may get lost, and that's it)
[/quote]
[quote name='DarkRaptor' timestamp='1320704494' post='95446']
I like to think MD is all about exploring and take some risks.. so i don't like much the idea.

Anyway, would like to suggest that the link could only appear when a player is stalled at some location without way to leave. This meaning current move cost > max player ap + 20 (free credits)
[/quote]
[quote name='Pipstickz' timestamp='1320709683' post='95457']
What if it were always usable at MP3, only on Tranquility days at MP4 and not at all at MP5?
[/quote]

An even better suggestino would be to give new players a "Jump to PaperCabin" spell, by default, similar in nature to those unlocked when breaking Enchanted Memory Stones. It would be limited casts, and fade away after a few months. Plenty of time to learn the nature of the realm a little bit, but handy for 'emergencies' if needed when still learning.

Edited by Maebius

It seems helpful for the occasions where new players get stuck- for example someone attended the halloween party, but missed the tp's back to pc, now is stuck in tutorial and at goe.

I would suggest the following: Initial 3 "free jumps" for every account, then increasing with 1 every 3 months. I do not think it should be 1 per week/month, etc, because it should be for emergencies only.

It would however fix the issues of stuck people.

Why so complicated?
Give every account a permanent teleport_papercabin at 2 casts and set the heat cost to 0.
You can't do any freaky stuff with 2 casts each 2 weeks, and it works well enough to get people out of a tight place every once in a while.

Additionally, write a short tutorial page on how to cast a spell and include a charge booster that sets the temporary count to 4 in the tutorial, i'd suggest at the point where you get stuck at the road of battles and have to activate the map for the first time.

This would be sufficient to let everybody get out of the occasional trouble, and it'd be a fine intro into magic.