Ann. 2804 - Volition skill for lowering viscosity

Miq

i agree that its easier for people with loyalty to gain volition, and maybe this is a bit too easy and would warrant a change, but volition is about bringing a location further back into reality after it has become withdrawn and forgotten, using your will, this to me, would make sense to be easier if you have loyalty to the land as you are more familiar with it, and familiarity would make it easier to remember, and exert your will on bringing it back into reality. 

Sy

• Root Admin

ok, i changed how it works, it will not increase volition if it doesn't consume ap..makes sense. Its based on ap cost not landloyalty or anything else, so if there are actions that require zero ap , it won't increase volition either, regardless of land. ( i will announce it now)

Thanks for the suggestion!

• Root Admin

ok, i changed how it works, it will not increase volition if it doesn't consume ap..makes sense. Its based on ap cost not landloyalty or anything else, so if there are actions that require zero ap , it won't increase volition either, regardless of land. ( i will announce it now)

Thanks for the suggestion!

All actions require at least 1 AP, does it work on this value in the system (meaning that all actions always give you volition) or does it work it out separately (meaning it works as intended)?

For me you should get always volition stat when you drop viscosity in a place also if is your homeland... maybe you could let get less volition stat in homeland, instead out of it you will get more volition... because one that have got more land loyalty scores wil not able to gain volition in more different lands...

example...in GG I will get 0.04 of volition when I will drop max viscosity, instead out GG I will get 0.08 when I will drop max viscosity...

a suggestion... for me there could be achivements on volition stats that later could be used for let you create different range of items....

example... you use a wishpoint for create items using also volition stat.... if you have got first achivement of volition you will be able to create a type of item, instead if you will have also second achivement you will be able to create another type of item in plus etc... naturally when you create an item you will lose some volition stat according to the type of item that you are creating...

Edited by MRAlyon

• Root Admin

volition should be related to the lowered visc, not anytjing else like land loyalty, ap or whatever. someone please test and confirm if its working as i announced it should. thank you.

use of volition will be special, it will be a skill that drops when used, like a resource so to say. What it will be used exactly it is to early to discuss

In No Man's Land when visc was +40, I gained 0.08 volition per step. In Tribunal (land loyalty 552) when visc was at +40, I still gained 0.08 volition per step. In Marind Bell (land loyalty 59) when visc was at +40 (location cost was 1 + 40 - 59 AP), I still gained 0.08 volition per step.

In short, still not working as intended.

Ave,

I undrestand that you gain volition when you drop visc and you do so also in your homeland but in the current implementation there is huge balance issue and citizens of LotE, NV, GG, UG, LR have noticeable advantage over the rest. It might not be anything if the future usage does not need huge amounts.

Miq

A major issue with volition as it stands now is that the bonus for moving through max visc discourages people from walking in teams.

Conceptually, a group working together to 'remember' a place does so more effectively than can an individual (like how groups often develop transactive memory, meaning roughly that their members can cue each other to remember ideas that they would have more difficulty recalling without the group's help.) To fit this principle, and also to encourage group expeditions to the Archives or the East, how about giving a bonus to volition for groups of people combating viscosity together?

- The larger the group, the more volition gained (at most +.01 volition per step per extra person on the scene/adjacent scene)

- The greater the viscosity, the more volition gained (for example, +.04 volition for 40 visc, +.032 for 32 visc...+.008 for 8 visc..etc.)

- Walking alone through viscosity in areas where you have plenty of loyalty would not increase your volition, but walking in a group on those same areas would increase volition a little. (A long-time Golemian wouldn't gain volition just walking through their homeland, but they would gain a little volition while leading a tour through GG.)

[log='Conceptual question:']One of these statements more accurately reflects the concept of volition than the other, but I'm not sure which:
- Working in a group allows people to effect more change than they could alone—>working in a group should give you more volition, because volition is about how you can use your will to greatest effect.
- It takes less effort for an individual to effect a given amount of change as part of a group than alone—>working alone should give you more volition, because volition is about how much effort you put in.[/log]

You could probably do this if you made volition gains take into account the highest point viscosity has been at in the last say 10 minutes, and how many times it has been decreased within that time.

Although it will probably be buggy trying to retroactively give volition to whoever turned up first from people turning up. Might be possible to avoid by also granting people a small volition increase for people entering the scene for the first 10 minutes they are in the scene. Although then you need to do something about people who have just come out of idle, ie make it so the 10 minutes does not apply if you just exited idle.

Edited by Kyphis the Bard

Why not just: If you take a step through viscosity and there are non-idle people your scene or in an adjacent one, you gain volition according to how many people there are and the amount of visc on your scene?

Members of an expedition group would each face a tradeoff at each scene: "Should I take the first step and lose a lot of AP but gain more volition, or should I wait for others to clear the way and get less volition?" which they could work out among themselves.

• Root Admin

first of all there is nothing to define "a group" of this sort, so i can't apply any group based effects.

pip are you saying you gain same volition regardless where you walk?

i am more interested to hear how its currently working that to hear some fancy suggestions of how it should. i didn't managed to test it fully and my acc stata are messed anyway, so i would like to see how it is working for some of you with different situations.

I understand currently people with land loyalty have a huge advantage over over people with no land loyalty? Or i understood that wrong?

once i understand how it works i can either modify it or adapt the way it will be used.

• Root Admin

I understand currently people with land loyalty have a huge advantage over over people with no land loyalty? Or i understood that wrong?

This is correct, also some more obscure lands have a large advantage, such as tribunal loyalty.

I don't know if this is intended, but Chewett mentioned it earlier. I still get 0,01 volition when I enter a scene with a vicocity of -80. I suppose that isn't the way it's meant to be.

EDIT:

Strange it acts how it should again.

Edited by rikstar

How it seems to work currently:

- Walking through +40 visc gives .08 volition

- Walking through a scene with between +38 and -78 visc gives .02 volition

if your step lowers the viscosity in the scene (that is, if you haven't walked in the scene in the past hour). If you have walked there too recently, you gain no volition.

- Walking through -80 visc gives .01 volition

no matter how recently you have walked in the scene.

This holds true no matter your land loyalty or whether you're walking through your homeland, giving an advantage to people with loyalty in large, rarely traveled lands.

Edited by Zyrxae