Results of the first voting round

Muratus del Mur

1 hour ago, Muratus del Mur said:

you mean, to adjust the vote power to be the popularity score? So someone with -100, when they vote, they burry anyone else? :D

One method to weight votes which would avoid of this (amusing) anomaly would be to make those with a negative score have voting value proportional to their ratio.

That is, if a player's votes are 100% negative, their votes shall be worth zero; if the player has 1 positive and 5 negative votes, then the ratio is 1:5, or 20%, so their vote would be worth 20% of the value of a "standard" vote.

Players with a "perfect balance" of equal positive and negative votes would have a vote value of 1 (as the ratio is 1:1).

Finally, players with a positive net balance would have their voting value increased by the ratio of their score also. A suggested formula for this would be as follows:

Voting weight = 1 + (positive votes - negative votes)/(negative votes +1).

• Root Admin

I am not sure where this will lead... 

This way, popular people will have more voting power, keeping themselves more popular, while the others will have less influence on the final score. 

The concept of weighted voting power i like, but i am not sure it will be good for this vote, that influences in turn the voting power itself.

I think this mechanism will be great for whatever OTHER things, the popularity score will allow you to vote. For example, if we have to vote for a public event or feature, i prefer people that are more appreciated by the community (with positive score), to vote with higher power than people that are not so involved or well accepted the community.

But for the same purpose, i could just use the final score as the voting power, meaning you vote with a power equal to positive-negative votes you received.

This would achieve same power distribution as Aia's mechanism. Also, i could make the score CONSUMABLE, so you gather score over time, and use it to vote whenever you want with that cummulated power, or a fraction of it. This way, staying "popular" longer time allows you more involvement in decision taking.

• Root Admin

What we can see here, is that the top 3 positions are far above the rest, Fang reached the last position, and Ledah is a very controversial character, as he has a lot of votes but his overall score does not go to much above or below zero. Iashtal and Lazarus are in a similar situation, i wonder is it a coincidence that all these 3 are somehow "dark" roles? 

Fyrd lost the perfect score just this last round, he had 18/18 not too long ago, i am impressed that someone managed to get so many positive votes, i guess the garden was very popular :)

Half of the people voted for Chew, one way or an other, so he wins the top position for most received votes of any kind followed by Fyrd (obviously) ...and..Ledah (3rd most voted person)

Your comments on all this are most welcome.

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, Muratus del Mur said:

I am not sure where this will lead... 

This way, popular people will have more voting power, keeping themselves more popular, while the others will have less influence on the final score. 

The concept of weighted voting power i like, but i am not sure it will be good for this vote, that influences in turn the voting power itself.

I think this mechanism will be great for whatever OTHER things, the popularity score will allow you to vote. For example, if we have to vote for a public event or feature, i prefer people that are more appreciated by the community (with positive score), to vote with higher power than people that are not so involved or well accepted the community.

But for the same purpose, i could just use the final score as the voting power, meaning you vote with a power equal to positive-negative votes you received.

This would achieve same power distribution as Aia's mechanism. Also, i could make the score CONSUMABLE, so you gather score over time, and use it to vote whenever you want with that cummulated power, or a fraction of it. This way, staying "popular" longer time allows you more involvement in decision taking.

I'm not sure you get to decide how we use this, you don't have any votes! :P 

Assuming the totals are still similar to what they were before, It sounds like Aia and Fyrd can decide Mr no votes :D 

my votes if i remember correctly along with reasoning

fyrd+ valoryn- Fyrd has been active and good with a25 lately, I had much like for his old clicky questline in the past. Valoryn inactive as can be

chewett+ antyvas- Chewett has been doing good coding and other activity lately. Antyvas inactive if not for gathering, but I have never heard from this player personally, almost put nad here but I can't put nadrolski in a bad light even if hes the same as Antyvas lately

aia+ chriselnenepr- Aia has been valuable to md in recent years even if less active currently. Chrisel manages to sneak his way into my alliance without talking to me first and seems to have an idea about the game that is outdated

fang+ ledah- Fang is basically my best friend online and he has more care for things than people will realize. Ledah has been sullying the name of the caretakers with death instead of life

Edited by Mallos
edit city

• Root Admin

I was thinking to change vote power based on consecutive days in the past 30 days. Someone with 15 consec, will vite with 100% poser, someone with 30 days or more will vote with 200% power and someone with 3  days will vote with 20% power.

An alternative...with different implications, would be to consider fight based honor score for voting power.

Other ideeas are welcome, what would make a player more important than an other when it comes to vote this?

How about a vote based on wishpoints obtained in the last 6mo?

@I am Bored for now voting is mandatory. Maybe later i will add additional checks to prevent alts voting. 

• Root Admin
2 hours ago, Muratus del Mur said:

, would be to consider fight based honor score for voting power.

That would remove a swathe of people who don't fight, or stay specifically low honour.

3 hours ago, Muratus del Mur said:

Other ideeas are welcome, what would make a player more important than an other when it comes to vote this?

Really I think unless you know the objective (aka what it should be used for) you can't decide how the vote should be weighed.

I see some people on the list that I didn't even know still were around, or people who log in, don't speak, don't say anything, and log out. It seems odd they would have a vote.

5 hours ago, Muratus del Mur said:

I was thinking to change vote power based on consecutive days in the past 30 days. Someone with 15 consec, will vite with 100% poser, someone with 30 days or more will vote with 200% power and someone with 3  days will vote with 20% power.

An alternative...with different implications, would be to consider fight based honor score for voting power.

I would be among the top for the consecutive days vote, yet one of the lowest scoring for honor power. Yet I could also be one of the highest scoring for honor power but personal choices make me the lowest.

In my view if you made it that you needed both, that would be the most fair.

Edited by Mallos

• Root Admin

How about the most extreme option, i do a score from all sorts of factors such as active days, consecutive, wishpoints, credits, medals, etc, and calculate a voting power based on that?

Question is, should less evolved characters be able to count significantly in this popularity score? Or older players will always have the strongest vote?

2 hours ago, Chewett said:

That would remove a swathe of people who don't fight, or stay specifically low honour.

I don't stay low honor on purpose but rather that I stay a target for other players and as such I am siphoned of my honor by these players. That is for the reason I want as many negative stats as possible, this also entails that I would stay in a negative balance. I like to see the result of my negative balance is that I am literally unable to gain losses, at which point other players may gain free wins (in a net sum=0 scenario) to remain balanced.

I would also agree that the votes probably shouldn't be weighted.

__

"How about the most extreme option, i do a score from all sorts of factors such as active days, consecutive, wishpoints, credits, medals, etc, and calculate a voting power based on that?

Question is, should less evolved characters be able to count significantly in this popularity score? Or older players will always have the strongest vote?"

__

Something seems wrong to me about the votes but it is probably the intended outcome, who you like. I don't think less evolved characters matter less in the vote.

I really don't like these kinds of popularity contest kind of things, especially if they're forced upon you without any clear goal.

The results so far have been rather predictable. There's maybe 2 dozen people in MD at the moment, most of whom aren't very active in the first place, so it really isn't hard to predict them.

There is a major flaw in the questionnaire though, and that is the inability to skip it. By forcing people to vote you amplify the noise in your data. My voting strategy so far has been, for example:

I voted in 3 rounds so far:

Round 1 and 2: Vote on the bottom names, just because they're closest to the submit button.

Round 3: Use a random number generator. (Sorry Chewett, the dice decided. Still love you though).

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so... First off, a forced vote is bad in my opinion. It forces people to pick someone for their good/bad vote even if they haven't made a particularly strong impression. This causes some people to get more points (positive or negative) than they normally would. And it even causes some people to get undeserved (imo) negative scores because some people just dump their negative vote on characters that just log in and never communicate much. 

So, in my opinion the vote would make more sense if you made it optional, BUT maybe made it so that you can vote on everyone BUT ALSO added an "indifferent" option. That way you could get a general feel of how the realm feels about each character, not just the one that each person likes/hates the most. The scores acquired in such a way could be used for certain roles, or achievements.